Starting Sept. 1 Whole 30 -- buddies?

maggief

Starting too!! I've been eating paleo for about 3 months now. I've ran into some problems wih increased fat intake. Weight increased. I'm addicted to crystal light and splenda. Sugar free gum too.. I'm a natural bodybuilder finding it difficult to eat paleo 3 meals only a day. The biggest hurdle for me will be the artificial sweetner. Wondering who follows crossfit? I've. Even following the everyday paleo workouts which are good but I'm not sure if enough.

Hi rtm815! I do crossfit and I bet there are others on this forum who do it too. Def feel free to message me if you have questions!

Also, I had a really bad sugar free gum problem. Earlier this summer I realized I was chewing through 2 or 3 packs a day (gross and super embarrassing to admit). I just decided one day to cut it out cold turkey, along with diet soda. The first few days were actually really hard and I was paranoid that I would end up eating more and gaining weight. But the longer I go without it the easier it is and the less I want it. Isn't it fascinating how similarly addictive artificial sweetener and real sugar are?? Anyway, hopefully by the end of the whole30 all those cravings will be gone :-)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all. I'd been contemplating a Whole30 for a couple of months, and after two evenings in a row of way too much chocolate and marzipan, I got fed up (pun intended) and simply started the next morning. I'm now on day 4. So far, I don't particularly miss sweets, dairy etc., but I do feel hungry a lot. I may have to up my food intake and - this is a tough one - reduce the amount of fruit I eat. To be honest, I'm simultaneously skeptical and hopeful about this way of eating. I'll know more in 26 days. I'm looking forward to exchanging experiences with everyone along the way.

Gah!!! It looks like I'm starting today, September 1, after all. After carefully picking my way through a weekend with the inlaws (pie! zucchini bread! dumplings and gravy!) I was dismayed to find that the cashews I'd been so blissfully nibbling on for the past four days were roasted in peanut oil. :( Let that be a lesson for all in READING LABELS! Well, now I know, and I'm moving on. I will not be deterred!

Gah!!! It looks like I'm starting today, September 1, after all. After carefully picking my way through a weekend with the inlaws (pie! zucchini bread! dumplings and gravy!) I was dismayed to find that the cashews I'd been so blissfully nibbling on for the past four days were roasted in peanut oil. :( Let that be a lesson for all in READING LABELS! Well, now I know, and I'm moving on. I will not be deterred!

Livvie, I saw Robin suggest to someone that they should just add the days onto the end (as extend it to Whole34) and keep rolling on. I like that way of looking at it better than starting at day one. Not sure why it seems different to me, but it does. :)

Hello fellow September Whole30ers! My name is Janine and I'm 28, a software engineer, and living in the SF Bay Area. My boyfriend and I started today (September 1) as well. :)

I wrote a little intro in my Day 1 food log post here. I'm going to try to post there every day, along with pictures of what I eat. The hardest thing for me will be to avoid eating out, especially for work lunches (I go out to eat with my co-workers every day right now). Avoiding Thai and Indian restaurants will be difficult (mmm, curry). Also, giving up cheese (I've already stopped drinking milk) is going to be hard too!

I am looking forward to learning to cook new things, though! Cooking is one of those things that I thought I'd never enjoy, but the more I do it the more I like it. :)

Good luck everyone! :)

Hello, greetings from Germany.

I came across this Primal/Paleo lifestyle a couple of months ago and haven't eaten any grains/legumes for about six weeks now. I almost can't believe how much better I feel: I have more energy, my mood is much better, anxiety/panic is gone, no more trembling/dizziness/fog in the head/feeling like I'm going to collapse any moment and my skin is better too. So I'm going for the Whole30 now, I started yesterday, hopefully this will further enhance my mental health.

Adriana

Hi I'm Craig and I started on the 1st as well.

Im from Australia and this is my second whole30. Really cracking down this time. I've been getting carried away with eating nuts and snacking so I'm cutting those out as well for now.

Never posted on these forums before, so not sure what to expect. :-)

Well tomorrow is lift off for me . nice to read everyones posts tonight for those that started on the 1st keep it up . I am so excited. Got my meals planned for the week and good foods in . Forgot to mention I have underactive thyroid and since doing paleo I have reduced my meds by 25mg . I also have always had high cholesterol , obviously from the doctors point of view . Totally looking forward to seeing if this changes over the next few month. I also have joint hypermobility which cuses me a lot of pain x and I am hoping to reduce my inflamation throught whole30 . I have also been on lanzoprasole for years for a hietus hernia . Hoping I can stop these too . I am here toheal my body x eggs and raw veggies for breakfast. Turkey steak wraps with spinach mushroom and garlic filling fried in ghee with brocoli .chicken drum sticks slow cooked with olive oil tomato puree garlic tumeric and paprika sauce . Haven't felt like I need snack on paleo so won't be having them . See you all at the finish line x

Another September 1 starter. I really hope to attain the energy everyone talks about. I've also had joint problems that will hopefully clear up. My meals yesterday were kind of bland. Hoping Day 2 will be better.

Hi there , I just searched all the paleo recipie sites for billions of recipies and wrote down my favorites adapted to this whole 30 x try planning meals x I always plan the day before with my meat veg and flavors x

Nearing the end of Day 2 here....wow, what a headache. I feel like I'm doing OK with food...though I feel hungrier than I thought I would. But I suppose the serious Diet Coke habit is taking its toll.

I saw a post elsewhere with people debating about aspirin....OK to take or just tough it out? (And yes, I'm drinking tons of water :))

Just ending Day 2. My girlfriend introduced me to Paleo in February and I have been very conscious of what I eat since then -- Not saying I have been eating well, just that I recognize it and try to pick better choices now). My girlfriend and i attempted Whole30 in June and I made it 20 days before I fell off the wagon. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in May and have been checking blood sugar 2x a day since then. I can really see the difference not eating processed food makes in my numbers. I also have dairy protein allergies and after 2 really tough sinus infections this year I am very careful not to eat dairy in any form -- though I do miss cheese. I spent my day cooking ahead -- cottage pie and easy chicken from "Well Fed" and zucchini lasagna from "Everyday Paleo", Chocolate Chili is on the agenda for tomorrow (also from "Well Fed"). My biggest issue is getting enough vegetables in. I like recipes I can add the veggies too(hence the zucchini lasagne and cottage pie). Also, need to get walking on treadmill again.So -- am "frexited" but hopeful.

I love all these posts! It's awesome to hear about everyone's goals, and reading what you've been eating is totally inspiring me for future meals.

Not sure if anyone else is doing this, but I'll be logging my daily meals, moods, progress, obstacles, etc. over here in case anyone wants to follow along: http://forum.whole9l...aggies-whole30/

Congrats on getting through Day 1 and best of luck tomorrow!

I will do the same - here is my thread - http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2706-my-whole30-fat-loss-energy-sleep-focus/

Hi everyone! Hope we're all still hanging in there. I'm ready to start Day 3. So far, so good. I would like to point out that I haven't been overwhelmed by any signficiant cravings so far, so I hope that feeling sticks around.

I'm keeping track of my progress here, in case anyone's interested (and of course, on my personal blog...see signature line)

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2681-pink-diamonds-w30-log-september-2012/page__fromsearch__1

Hi Maggie,

I started on the 1st, too. So far, so good....though I did have the worst migraine I've ever had last night. Excruciating pain that brought me to tears. I'm 39 and having some of the same issues that are challenging you. I came across this diet through a friend on Facebook and decided to try it. My eating habits prior to starting we're terrible--my husband works at a French bistro and we both love food and wine, so I think I'm in for a big challenge (but if it helps with my anxiety, mood swings, achy joints, insomnia, it's a challenge I'm up for!). So glad to have other members with the same start date--will help keep us all inspired! My biggest achievement so far: surviving a labor day cookout with a margarita bar, paella, rum cake, and homemade bread. Resisted it all!

How's everyone doing with day 3?

-Amy

Hi Maggie,

I started on the 1st, too. So far, so good....though I did have the worst migraine I've ever had last night. Excruciating pain that brought me to tears. I'm 39 and having some of the same issues that are challenging you. I came across this diet through a friend on Facebook and decided to try it. My eating habits prior to starting we're terrible--my husband works at a French bistro and we both love food and wine, so I think I'm in for a big challenge (but if it helps with my anxiety, mood swings, achy joints, insomnia, it's a challenge I'm up for!). So glad to have other members with the same start date--will help keep us all inspired! My biggest achievement so far: surviving a labor day cookout with a margarita bar, paella, rum cake, and homemade bread. Resisted it all!

How's everyone doing with day 3?

-Amy

Amy, awesome job navigating the holiday cookout! What did you end up eating instead? I'm curious, did people question your food choices? I'd love to hear how you handled it. I avoided two parties this weekend because I was nervous about having to explain myself, but I know I can't/shouldn't put off socializing this month. I'm sorry to hear about the migraine :( I hope you're feeling better and that it's the last one!

Amy, awesome job navigating the holiday cookout! What did you end up eating instead? I'm curious, did people question your food choices? I'd love to hear how you handled it. I avoided two parties this weekend because I was nervous about having to explain myself, but I know I can't/shouldn't put off socializing this month. I'm sorry to hear about the migraine :( I hope you're feeling better and that it's the last one!

Day 3 was pretty easy. Feeling good, made some yummy food, resisted the chips and candy bars the kids were eating although I did make them go in the other room so I wouldn't have to see the candy (I have a huge sweet tooth). My mom is on her second week and is feeling awful. She's having stomach issues and is so tired. I feel so bad for her since I'm the one that convinced her to try this program.

School starts tomorrow and I start work (cafeteria and playground monitor at son's elementary). Hoping I can get into a good routine as far as eating. I work 10:30 to 2:00 so I'm trying to figure out when to eat lunch. I guess it'll have to be a late lunch and even later dinner (we usually eat dinner around 5:00). We'll see how my cravings are around all the chips, cookies and cakes all the kiddos bring in their lunches.

Hope everyone had a great day 3.

Maggie,

Luckily my friends have been eating Paleo for a while now, so they understood and were very supportive. As far as what I ate: luckily the paella was made with olive oil, so I ate the proteins--shrimp and chicken. I meant to grab a sweet potato and some raw veggies, but I forgot, so I didn't have the best nutritional meal, but I didn't go off the plan. I tried to make up for it today and had lots o veggies and cut back on the protein a bit today.

Went shopping today and got coconut milk for coffee (yum! Well, as yum as I'm gonna get for the next 30 days! Love cream and a little sugar in my coffee usually) and some great olive oil, macadamia nuts, etc. I'm trying to get enough fats in to balance the lack of carbs.

The next big challenge will be on Saturday night when I am out for dinner in D.C. . Dreading it a little! I see why avoiding the situations would be easier. I think I will pack a little snack back of an apple and some nuts just in case my choices are limited.

As far as the explaining goes--people do thnk I'm being a little nutty, but I explain to them the potential benefits of a Paleo diet and they usually seem understanding, if not intrigued. Last year I had a bad bout of depression and did a lot research on how diet affects mood (so I cut out processed starches and ate a lot more superfoods to great results!! Much better than the antidepressants that made me feel foggy, sick and unmotivated), so I also rely on my experience with that and how much it helped.

Thanks for the support and dialogue!

Labor Day menu was a challenge at our family get-together, too...though there wasn't any yummy paella!

Cheeseburgers, hot dogs, beans, potato salad, chips, dips, cookies, sodas....you know the drill. :)

I had packed some food - luckily my youngest son has been gluten-dairy-soy-free for the past year, so no one even pays any attention to me carrying around our own food all the time. No one really noticed that this time it was for me.

I didn't take a single bite of anything that was off-plan. Not a single bite! I feel a little shocked at this, actually. I lost count of how many times I reached to grab something I shouldn't eat...or almost took one bite of something I was making for my kids...or nearly grabbed a chip and dipped while chatting away and being totally unconscious about what I was eating. It is a wake-up call to realize how little attention I was often really paying to what was going in my mouth. So I'm feeling pretty good about sticking with it today in the midst of all of those temptations.

Headache seems to finally be fading, so that helps.

And my dad gave me a huge bag of venison jerky (he makes it) when we left....can you say "homemade paleo snack packs?" :)

Anyone else have the "hangover" yesterday?? I felt like I was going to drop all day long. I even had the shakes in the morning. Wow. I feel markedly better today - not great, but better! Breakfast has been the weirdest meal for me so far - I'm just not used to eating so much first thing in the morning. But the good news is that I am FULL until lunchtime. Before, I would grab a banana and then snack on whatever crap I had in my desk until 11:00, when I was so starved I'd eat an early lunch. Now I'm easily making it until noon before I need to eat.

Hope everyone has a great Day 4!

I felt a little foggy yesterday (still had a headache, too) but I also feel considerably better today. Even had the energy to do my workout first thing this morning instead of procrastinating waiting like I usually do. Though I know it's only Day4, so there's still some roller coaster left to come, I'll bet. Nobody shakes a Diet Coke habit as serious as mine was this easily! ;-)

Looking forward to hearing about Day 4 for everyone else....

Archived