Starting Sept. 1 Whole 30 -- buddies?

maggief

So I had a slip on sunday and will tack on 2 extra days to my whole 30.

Just a question, anyone else feeling super bloated? I'm used to eating veggies but I'm eating more than usual (having them at breakfast is new to me). Just kinda surprised by this effect.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone!

I've started today and so far so good. Suprised myself with the lovely lunch I prepared. It sounds like you are all doing well so far so congrats to everyone! This forum is chock full of great ideas and inspiration.

Anyone else have the "hangover" yesterday?? I felt like I was going to drop all day long. I even had the shakes in the morning.

Luckily for me, I've been feeling well. I suspect that might have something to do with a juice/veggie cleanse I did two days prior to starting Whole30 on September 1.

Hi Maggie,

I started on the 1st, too. So far, so good....though I did have the worst migraine I've ever had last night. Excruciating pain that brought me to tears.

Sorry to hear about your migraines, Amy. I suffer from chronic migraines. In fact, I take a pill nightly to prevent them from coming. I thought about weaning off my pills mid-way or closer to the end of the Whole30 program, but I'm afraid. Last time I tried to wean off, I threw up for three days straight and ended up in the hospital hooked to an IV. Please let me know if your migraines subside.

The next big challenge will be on Saturday night when I am out for dinner in D.C. . Dreading it a little! I see why avoiding the situations would be easier. I think I will pack a little snack back of an apple and some nuts just in case my choices are limited.

Amy, do you know where you'll be eating out in D.C.? That's where I live (and probably some of the other W30-ers), so just say the word if you need suggestions :)

I didn't take a single bite of anything that was off-plan. Not a single bite!

This is awesome, Jaylee!! It's so easy to have the "just a bite" mindset, especially at parties and food-centric gatherings (my downfall), but it's such a good feeling to actually be in control! Keep up the great work! (Btw, I'm totally jealous of your jerky lol.)

Hi Everyone!

I've started today and so far so good. Suprised myself with the lovely lunch I prepared. It sounds like you are all doing well so far so congrats to everyone! This forum is chock full of great ideas and inspiration.

Welcome, doni!

I'm Adriana, I live in Alaska, and this will be my first Whole30! I'm excited, I've had acne since I was 12 (I'm now 24) and it has fluctuated a lot over the years along with my weight and stress levels. They seem to all be related... I'm doing this Whole30 for several reasons 1. Get rid of the acne 2. Establish a healthy relationship with food (let's just say that food has been my best friend and my worst enemy lately) 3. Develop better stress-management, along with confidence. Figuring out how to say "no thank you" to a cookie alone, is a big deal to me. Needless to say I went on a sugar bender before starting this, and attempted to start several times, but something about that Sept. 1st made it stick.

So far it's day #4, and I haven't had any sugar cravings really, I really haven't had any cravings at all, I've just been pretty hungry =) I love this way of eating, because I love vegetables! The hardest thing I know I am going to encounter is eating with other people, or eating out especially, as well as explaining why I am choosing not to eat certain foods for 30 days (which really is going to be the rest of my life I am assuming). Loved the article on grieving for lost foods, it hasn't hit me yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to try and paleoify pretty much every baked good. So that mourning period will come =0( Oh well. Here's to better health everyone!

Luckily for me, I've been feeling well. I suspect that might have something to do with a juice/veggie cleanse I did two days prior to starting Whole30 on September 1.

Sorry to hear about your migraines, Amy. I suffer from chronic migraines. In fact, I take a pill nightly to prevent them from coming. I thought about weaning off my pills mid-way or closer to the end of the Whole30 program, but I'm afraid. Last time I tried to wean off, I threw up for three days straight and ended up in the hospital hooked to an IV. Please let me know if your migraines subside.

Migraines gone so far! I am sorry to hear yours are so severe. I would imagine a hormone balancing diet like this one might help you a lot with your chronic migraines. Please keep me up to date with your progress!

Maggie,

'Amy, do you know where you'll be eating out in D.C.? That's where I live (and probably some of the other W30-ers), so just say the word if you need suggestions :) '

I'm doing a wedding at the St Regis (I own a floral design business) and I think I'll be staying at the Willard, so something in that neck of the woods probably. I have to go back at midnight to break everything down! Any suggestions? I used to live in the Penn Quarter and Gtown, so i know some spots around there, but would love to hear your faves (and everyone else's!).

So today I had my first dining out experience and it went surprisingly well! My husband took me out to lunch and a movie. Before we left I threw together a simple balsamic, evoo, and mustard dressing, put it in a mason jar and tossed it in my bag!

The restaurant (Blue Ridge Grill) had lots of great salads, but most the proteins were marinated in non W30 approved ingredients. I ended up getting a seared ahi salad with tomato, mango and cilantro (it came with sesame seeds, ginger, and several dressings/drizzles that I had them leave out). I ordered a side of their freshly made guacamole (that I made sure was made with approved stuff) for a dressing. I added a little of my own dressing and was really pleased with my meal! I was hardly jealous of my hubby's French dip, fries, beer and banana pudding : ) !

Day four: success! Im actually feeling remarkably great--lots of energy! Had to take an evening stroll to get some of the energy out! I thought today was supposed to be the kill someone day....so far I feel more like dancing!

Maggie, as far as bloating, I'm noticing the opposite actually. I was eating a lot of bread and dairy before hand (and washing it down with wi e!), so I actually think my body is celebrating! I have noticed (warning TMI about to follow) that I've been gassy, but not necessarily bloated. Are you eating a lot of raw veggies? How are you feeling otherwise??

Lastly, what is everyone doing about snacking? Ive seen a couple comments that we're not supposed to snack (must be in the book and not the website), but I've been having an afternoon snack of fruit and nuts. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks everyone for sharing your progress! I look forward to reading your posts! Definitely makes this more fun!

Just ending Day 2. My girlfriend introduced me to Paleo in February and I have been very conscious of what I eat since then -- Not saying I have been eating well, just that I recognize it and try to pick better choices now). My girlfriend and i attempted Whole30 in June and I made it 20 days before I fell off the wagon. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in May and have been checking blood sugar 2x a day since then. I can really see the difference not eating processed food makes in my numbers. I also have dairy protein allergies and after 2 really tough sinus infections this year I am very careful not to eat dairy in any form -- though I do miss cheese. I spent my day cooking ahead -- cottage pie and easy chicken from "Well Fed" and zucchini lasagna from "Everyday Paleo", Chocolate Chili is on the agenda for tomorrow (also from "Well Fed"). My biggest issue is getting enough vegetables in. I like recipes I can add the veggies too(hence the zucchini lasagne and cottage pie). Also, need to get walking on treadmill again.So -- am "frexited" but hopeful.

Sounds like you're doing great....and making some great food too! Let me know his the chocochilli goes. Cacao is supposed to be great for you.

I've decided to give myself a week or so on the diet before adding cardio. This way of eating is definitely a pretty drastic departure from my past choices, I thought it might be easier to let my body and mind ease into the new choices. I have been walking--more for leisure than exercise, but it gets the blood moving. Next week I'm going to start some interval training on the treadmill.

Great job for making this choice!

Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I (22, 21) have just started our first Whole30 as well!!

I am keeping track of our progress, our meals and recipes we use on my Whole30 tumblr page.

It is already full of tips if anyone is interested!

Good luck to everyone!! Let's join the thousands who claim success from the Whole30 program!

How's everyone doing? I'm still going strong into Day 5. Up until last evening I felt pretty good, but started to feel a bit headache-y last night just as the workday was ending. I felt better after I ate dinner though, so it may just have been the hunger shakes. I am aiming to increase my protein during meal 2 today.

I stopped at the local organic grocery store on the way home and purchased two grass-fed beef steaks, sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and some nectarines. I nibbled on two nectarines while I was waiting for dinner to cook and quickly delved into that once it was ready. I was satisfied for the rest of the evening.

Sleeping pattern hasn't changed much. I still wake up a lot, so I'm hoping for a good night's rest sometime soon. Fingers crossed.

Love reading this forum. Today is Day 2 for me. I'm 60 years old, and have started the Whole30 at my Dr.'s recommendation.

For 15 months I have suffered with severe joint pain, moving everywhere imaginable in my body, stiff neck, headaches and many other weird symptoms - find out it's Lyme disease and the little lyme nasties feed off the sugar in your body to stay alive. So if this new way of eating will make me feel normal again, I'm excited.

My biggest temptations are having a glass of wine in the evening with dinner and good dark chocolate. All my girlfriends are going to a winery for a tasting/appetizer party tomorrow and I'm feeling so deprived that I can't go. Since I love vegetables, so far the meals have been very good, but don't seem to fill me up. It seems the hunger pains set in about 20 minutes after I finish a meal. Perhaps I am not eating enough. This morning I had two scrambled eggs, 1/2 red pepper and 1 sausage patty and 20 blueberries, along with 2 cups of black coffee. Lunch was a salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, avacado, carrots, and some chicken. I added some olive oil to some fresh salsa that I had. And water. What is everyone drinking? That is hard for me as I really don't like water that much and used to drink Crystal Light. I'm putting slices of lime or lemon in the water, but I have to force myself to drink it.

So glad all this information is here for us to use. I've ordered the book from this website and I'm anxious to start reading.

So I had a slip on sunday and will tack on 2 extra days to my whole 30.

Just a question, anyone else feeling super bloated? I'm used to eating veggies but I'm eating more than usual (having them at breakfast is new to me). Just kinda surprised by this effect.

Hey Gabbyw, I haven't had the same feeling but the increase in veggies, a change in the type of vegetables, or even eating raw vs. cooked could definitely have that effect. Hopefully you're already feeling better, but if not, you might want to try cooked vegetables and having some kind of soothing tea like peppermint or licorice to help you digest. Anyone else have advice?

Migraines gone so far! I am sorry to hear yours are so severe. I would imagine a hormone balancing diet like this one might help you a lot with your chronic migraines. Please keep me up to date with your progress!

I used to get migraines once or twice a month for years, but I've only had one since going paleo in 2011. (That fact alone would make me stick with this lifestyle regardless of weight loss or other improvements!) Amy, I'm so happy you're feeling well and pinkdiamonds, I'm hoping you get some relief soon!

Love reading this forum. Today is Day 2 for me. I'm 60 years old, and have started the Whole30 at my Dr.'s recommendation.

For 15 months I have suffered with severe joint pain, moving everywhere imaginable in my body, stiff neck, headaches and many other weird symptoms - find out it's Lyme disease and the little lyme nasties feed off the sugar in your body to stay alive. So if this new way of eating will make me feel normal again, I'm excited.

My biggest temptations are having a glass of wine in the evening with dinner and good dark chocolate. All my girlfriends are going to a winery for a tasting/appetizer party tomorrow and I'm feeling so deprived that I can't go. Since I love vegetables, so far the meals have been very good, but don't seem to fill me up. It seems the hunger pains set in about 20 minutes after I finish a meal. Perhaps I am not eating enough. This morning I had two scrambled eggs, 1/2 red pepper and 1 sausage patty and 20 blueberries, along with 2 cups of black coffee. Lunch was a salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, avacado, carrots, and some chicken. I added some olive oil to some fresh salsa that I had. And water. What is everyone drinking? That is hard for me as I really don't like water that much and used to drink Crystal Light. I'm putting slices of lime or lemon in the water, but I have to force myself to drink it.

So glad all this information is here for us to use. I've ordered the book from this website and I'm anxious to start reading.

Welcome Susan! You might want to try adding some more fat into your meals to feel satiated. Cooking with coconut oil, adding coconut milk to coffee (I've personally never tried, but some people really like it), coconut butter (my fave), sliced avocado or guacamole, some nuts -- any of those should help fill you up and feel more satisfied.

As for the water, that's definitely tough. I cut out diet soda earlier this summer and it was torture at first. Plain water just didn't taste right. Eventually your taste buds do readjust, I promise. In the meantime, I think you're on the right track with adding lemon/lime slices -- you might want to mix it up with other things like orange slices or cucumber slices, seltzer water, or iced tea.

Anyone have other tricks?

@ Susan...You could spruce up your water with more than just lemons and limes. I'm not a big pop (soda) or juice drinker to begin with. I pretty much drink water all the time and it can become quite boring. Try cucumber slices or whole raspberries. I find that those two options flavour the water just enough to be better than bland.

Agree with spicing up water. I just made a pitcher with sliced strawberries and mint, gives it just a little flavor. I'm interested to hear others views on snacks. I need portable ones for work since I have a very late lunch. So far no unpleasantness except a slight headache which may be from starting work (elementary students at lunch and recess, can you say LOUD!). Now I am off to plan next weeks menu.

I'm interested to hear others views on snacks. I need portable ones for work since I have a very late lunch.

Svetlana, I've been bringing canned salmon, canned olives, and SeaSnax roasted seaweed as snacks to work. The canned stuff is especially easy if it comes in the self-opening cans (the ones with the tab on them). I bought a big 12-pack of the roasted seaweed snacks from Amazon and just keep it at my desk. :)

I love your doctor. :) Hopefully more and more of them will catch on. Love my doc, but she kind of glazes over when I talk Whole30 or Paleo.

Definitely adding more fat should help. I've been adding coconut cream to my coffee...yum! Upping protein might help too. For the first couple of days I ate sweet potato once or twice a day--was never hungry.

Water: I love using herbs to add some jazz! Mint, basil, rosemary. Pair them with fruit or citrus, and it's yummy!! Basil and strawberry, orange and rosemary, blueberry and mint....

Congratulations on starting this journey.....it's exciting!! I'm already feeling tons better and it's only day 5,

Hey there! I'm a September 1st starter as well! I've been eating Paleo plus Dairy since spring of 2011, I originally got into it after reading The Primal Blueprint. This summer, however, I was traveling every other weekend, and things got a little lax. No gluten, fortunately, but I became a bit of an ice cream addict...now, it was all artisanal, house made ice cream, but sugar is sugar, and I was hooked! Doing the Whole 30 now to get back on the Paleo wagon and also to try eliminating dairy, which I'd never done before. No crazy cravings yet, although I did dream that I ate a whole bucket of melting Oreo cookies...

The hardest thing so far is to not accidentally use butter!

I must be working in reverse from everyone. While most were suffering through the first couple of days, I was doing OK. Now most are starting to feel better and I'm getting cranky. I'm seriously craving some sugar right now. :wacko:

You are not alone at all...I wasn't really eating TOO different. I was gluten and dairy free already. Let's just say our bodies are fashionably late to the cranky party.

A few things in response....

Gabbyw - I too am having parts of the day where I feel bloated, but it seems to come and go. Not too bad, but I do notice it occasionally.

Susan - I'm a (recovering) Diet Coke addict and the water can be a struggle for me, too. I'm trying to vary it with plain sparkling, strawberries, mint...also a green tea with tangerines and mint...and I like cucumber, too. It is getting easier, though.

pinkdiamonds - I had that thought today actually. I felt so much better yesterday than i expected to, but today....definitely harder. I was hungry (long work day on the run, I don't think I ate enough) and when I got home it was a f.i.g.h.t. to not just eat the first thing I could grab...which would have been tortilla chips or crackers. I really, really, really wanted something starchy and crunchy and salty and I had that "just one bite won't hurt" thought as my son asked me to get him some Sunchips. I didn't do it, but I certainly wanted to. I've been cranky and a little foggy today - certainly worse than yesterday. Here's hoping Day 6 is better. :)

Hi all! Is anyone else FED UP WITH MEAT? And I'm getting a little tired of eggs, too...Before starting the Whole30, my other main source of protein was dairy, especially Greek yogurt, which is nice and filling. Now I'm relying primarily on eggs, meat (a variety of different types and preparations) and some fish. I'm at the point where I just want to eat veggies and fruit all day instead of yet another egg with sausage bake or other meat-based dish. But I can't, becuase otherwise I'll end up waking up in the middle of the night because I'm hungry. What to do?!

livvie- I wouldn't say I'm "fed up" with meat, but I am needing quite a variety.

Mostly my current issue seems to be that I'm not that hungry. I am literally force feeding myself breakfast right now because I have a crazy busy day and I know I need to get it in now. But man, I am SO NOT hungry. And yesterday I barely ate 1000 calories. I just couldn't eat another thing.

But hey, no headache today...so that's nice!! :)

Archived