WHy am I so hungry

This is day 5 or 6 and its been pretty smooth sailing so far.  I like finally knowing what to eat to feel like I am eating healthy BUT for some reason today I am hungry for the first time no matter what I eat.  Dinner has so far been- some seaweed, a pile of sugar snap peas, a chicken thigh and drum stick, two eggs and a pile of spaghetti squash (sauteed in coconut oil).  HELLLLP I am so hungry and I haven't even taken my medication which causes intense food cravings so I try to be full before I take it.  I had short ribs and sweet potatoes for breakfast and flank steak with spaghetti squash and coconut oil, with some raspberries and sugar snap peas, for lunch as well as an emergency snack that was made with just an apple and a pear (nothing else).    Why am I sooo hungry right now?

TMI alert- I just put 2 +2 together and realized it is the first day of my cycle- so that might explain it- but what am I to do??

• Moderators

Definitely eat. 

Sometimes we're just hungry, and that's okay. It sounds like you're eating a good mix of protein, fat, and veggies most of the time. Your snack that was all fruit would be better if it were a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies instead, it would prevent the blood sugar spike and drop that just fruit on its own can cause, and would help keep you full longer as well. 

Your guess that it might have to do with where you are in your cycle is probably right -- there's some explanation of that in this thread and this one and lots of others as well -- just google Whole30 PMS for more, if you're interested. And whether it's related to that or not, it will change. This time next week, you may feel not hungry at all and have to force yourself to eat just to get through three meals at the smaller end of the meal template.

Thank you Whole 30ers.  Your support is really helpful- I agree that the apple/pear bar wasn't an optimal choice- it was a thing I could eat without going off plan and avoiding getting HANGRY.  I put one of those turkey and cranberry bars in my purse to have along with the all fruit bars (I think they are called Nothing But- or something like that).  I figure that it will be fruit heavy but in a pinch it will do as an anti Hanrgy solution when other possibilities  have been exhausted.  Thank you for your support.  I KNOW this isn't a weight loss porgram and I am doing this fer several reasons which are far more imporant to me- in fact even if I knew for sure I wouldn't lose any weight I would still be doing this BUT I have 6 months to lose 20 lbs (from 140 to 120 or a bit less)  Will I really lose weight eating so much fat?  Do the people who lose weight limit their fruit and fat-- that said wouldn't that affect the effects given the effects of fat on bowel?

• Administrators

Hmmm...the "Nothin' But" bars, as far as I can tell, are not compliant.  They all have oats and at least two kind of sweeteners as well as sunflower oil in them, not to mention the ones that contain chocolate and other off plan ingredients.  I dearly hope that you are referring to some other kind of bar.

As far as "hangry", the less you rely on foods that spike your blood sugar, the quicker your body will convert over to fat adapted and you won't get hangry anymore. 

Archived