Feeling wild-Life post 30's

M1: 3 eggs and leftover pork shoulder! (lasted us almost a week!!) and sugar snap peas with green tea. 

M2: Tuna, salad, sweet potato and pistachios (our go to lunch right now)

M3-homemade burgers, 5 shrimp, tostones, and smashed roasted potatoes, with kale

snack: frozen mango (absolutely delicious!!!)

No workout today except I might go outside and do yoga or find a class, I think we need some more meditation in our lives, any thoughts??

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there!  Looks like you are doing well.  It is a balance for all of us.  Eating in the real world, having treats without completely falling off the wagon.  I don't have a sweets demon, but wine is a weakness for me and something I don't want to cut out, so trying to balance that for me truly a balancing act.

Glad you are enjoying your time with your bf!  And as for carbs, with your workout schedule, I think it is important to have enough carbs, your hormones will thank you for it.

Krista-

I have been avoiding doing an actual pre-post workout meal-I normally workout mid afternoon a little while after lunch, and then by the time I get home it is almost dinner time. Advice on that? Maybe I should make that a priority?

Sara-

Thanks for stopping by! The sweets really get to me, once I start I can't stop! I think I was definitely starving my body before and was super moody because I had this false idea that I could somehow make my body into something that it is not, carbs somehow make me happier? Then I don't want to have a sugar attack and create a horrible cycle. How do you balance wine? Leave it at a glass or two? Limit to a certain # of days a week? That would be something I would be very curious about!

Moral of the story: real world eating is hard :)

I have decided that I have the appetite of a lumberjack. I could honestly eat 2-3 platefuls of food at each meal and then be satisfied. I am not sure if it is my workouts or if it is just an insatiable appetite. I almost always eat more than the bf and we are the exact same height, and weight. 

M1: chili and 3 eggs- I wish I got more veggies in but we are leaving on saturday morning and trying to get rid of everything in the fridge!

W/O-4.25 miles hard on dreadmill in 33 minutes intervals

24 minute EMOM-

minute 1: 10 kb squats

minute 2: 8 KB Swings (#50)

minute 3: 12 hand release pushups

snack: macadamia nuts and lara bar (need to stop snacking!)

M2: normal salad with tuna,and walnuts-I actually love this lunch and its nice because it doesn't require any cooking!

M3: 4 Chicken thighs and kale with raisins and onions-yucca and some plantains

fake dessert-frozen banana with almond butter, shredded coconut, macadamia nuts-

this is a replacement for ice cream and I know it. I need to stop craving something sweet/creamy after dinner and instead just be satisfied with amazing dinners. That will be the goal of my next whole30.

Will write some longer thought provoking entries soon. I am very nervous about going on a cruise and to texas for two days. I just want to make good choices, enjoy myself, and destress. I really need some good sun time!! :)

Sounds like you do cross fit right? Or something similar. I would definitely get a pre/post meal in. doesn't need to be big. I have been known to sit in my car after my session with the trainer and snarf down a container of tuna or salmon and 1/2 an apple. Getting the post wo protein without relying on shakes has been a difficult transition this month while on my w30. My trainer recommends 25 grams of protein within 30 minutes, max an hour, of our beat downs...er sessions

Krista-

I basically do crossfit at home ( I steal the workouts from the website and do them at my free gym at work) I just couldn't afford the cost :(. Buttttt, it is nice because I can change some of the workouts if I can't do pull-ups etc. I will eventually join! I swear! 

Hahhaha...beat downs! Sometimes I can't even drive home, I need to have a 10 minute siesta on the stretching mats before I can bring myself to get up. I will definitely take your advice. You can see that I am a huge fan of canned tuna so I will add that to my gym bag and be on my merry little way. 

Thank you for the advice! How is your whole30 going this month??

How do you balance wine? Leave it at a glass or two? Limit to a certain # of days a week? That would be something I would be very curious about!

I am still working on this!  My goal is changing all the time.  I've tried having none, having none during the week, limiting to one during the week and so on.  I think I've tried every combination.  Bottom line, I think it will always be changing.  The more rules I put around wine, the more obsessive I seem to get (meaning overdoing it!), so for now I'm trying not to do rules.  I have an idea of my daily calorie intake, I know how wine fits into that.  If I have a heavier eating day, I try to scale back on the wine.  Work in progress for sure!

I'm the same as you with sweets - once I start, I can't stop.  I also rebel against myself like a teenager when I say no sweets at all. I've had better luck saying I'm going the next 100 days and only having sweets 5x.  That way, each time I'm faced with dessert, I have to decide if it's worth taking up one of my 5 exceptions.  It works for the most part.  I still have some work to do as far as quantity of those sweet exceptions, especially on holidays.  It's a process. 

You could try something similar with wine. 

Pjena-

I like that idea with sweets! I think it gives you a little flexibility off of the program but allows you to hold yourself accountable. Sometimes when I do go off track it becomes a day long epidemic of eating literally whatever I can get my hands on. Hopefully I could keep it to a very small, special amount.

Sara-

I don't really ever drink alcohol just because I find that its an avalanche for me, one drink turns into 5 etc etc. and I don't want to use my calories! But I agree with you, the more rules you place on things the harder it is not to obsess completely! I am looking to signing up for my first 1/2 marathon soon, or full depending on how much of a challenge I'm in the mood for! Any advice?

Thanks for stopping in guys, it is always so nice to know you are never alone in a journey of self-discovery.

:)

M1-1/4-1/2 cup plaintains, 4 eggs, kale and raisins

Snack-larabar (worst pre workout ever)

W/O-2.5 miles intervals 21 minutes then 27-21-15-19 with rowing cals and 40# thrusters finished in 10:25 and then 2.5 miles again 19 minutes for 5 miles total

My stomach was in pieces and I had to stop running to go to the bathroom :(( way too many nuts lately

I would also like to get my weight up but it's easy to take the easy route out when there's not a group workout or what not. I also know I need to get lower on my squats but my hips have been bothering me! I'm not sure why? Maybe too much running!

I also have learned to appreciate the rowing machine as its a nice break from burpees or running :)

M2: auper late lunch now (4:30 or so) but hopefully salad with tuna and apple

M3:??

Dinner: bad dinner: roasted veg with taziki, 1/2 steak, 3 steak fries and tomato, basil, onion salad

Peanut butter Lara bar

Breakfast: egg whites, spinach, mushrooms, feta, fruit and 2 maple chicken sausages (gross chicken sausages!!)

Apple and greens smoothie

Felt ugh when I woke up. Maybe because I woke at 4, but vacation here we come!! Hopefully make good choices but this is one of those times where I am going enjoy myself :)

Hope you have a fantastic vacation.

As for the run, if you want to do a half, the best thing you can do is start putting in some miles.  I get the impression you are fairly fit, so it is really a matter of getting your bones/muscles/etc. used to that amount of miles.

I'm back!!! Two more days left of vacation here in Texas! But back in the states. Had the most amazing time, buttttt I slacked a little bit on food choices. I did make a conscious effort to not eat anything that I knew had gluten in it but from how bloated I am, I bet I was glutened! It is amazing to see how your body starts to crave different things when you go off plan! I am planning a whole30+ for when I get home/the boyfriend leaves so that I can reset myself and get rid of the bloating! It looks like I gained 10+ pounds in 5 days!!!

However, with all the not healthier food that I ate, I don't regret it! I had a great time and if I wanted ice cream I ate it :)) so I think I am turning a corner in being nice to myself :))))

Hope everyone is great! I will check in longer soon :))))

Krista!!

Exactly! It is insane. I only had a couple of drinks but boyyyyy they made me feel very tipsy! Wimpy drinks like Pina Coladas...because you know...its vacation in Mexico!

I have decided to reset myself with either a whole30 or however long I decide to continue it. I feel super bloated and gross after feeling so athletic and healthy while whole-#ing. I started today! However, we drove back from Easter dinner last night very late and didn't have time to get leafy veggies so I had to make due.

M1: 3 eggs, tomatoes, and shallots with hot sauce. Venison and pork sausage with cherries.

EDITED:

M2: salad with one can of tuna, 1/2 of a sweet potato, macadamia nuts, and some walnuts. (normal dresssing)

W/O: 5k loop outside! Beautiful weather: A little less than 25 minutes I think.

M3: Pork loin with 1/4 of a sweet potato, red and white onions, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, EVOO and seasoning. With some spinach one the side.

Definitely need to workout, as I have only worked out once in the last week. I know it is good to take rest but I miss the endorphins and the feeling of accomplishing a workout!

Has anyone done research on the blood type diet? My parents were talking to me about it when I was home for the weekend, and I am on the fence. Maybe I should research it more. 

Also, going back to work after a week or more off is absolutely dreadful, I just thought I should mention that I would loveeee to be in a bikini on a beach still!!!

Hey Sara!

Thanks for stopping by, it is a lot easier now to make good choices when I feel like I am back in real life. Definitely have a good workout motivation to work off my ice cream vacation pounds! By the way, where are you in Eastern PA? I live in Allentown/Bethlehem area, maybe we are close!

M1: Leftover pork with sweet potato, tomato and onion

M2: Salad, raisins, green apple, left over pork, macadamia nuts (EVOO hot sauce and ACV)

Workout: 3.5 mile interval run-<30 minutes

M3-??

Felt okay. not great. the weather took a turn for the worst today! I neeeed the summer :)

Archived