First time sardiner....

flipperswitch

So, I've seen so many people mention sardines or anchovies as great protein snacks or additions to meals and salads.  I get stuck late at work occasionally and usually have a drawer full of emergency food in case I'm here past normal dinner time.  I'm trying to add things that are not dried fruit and nuts and I really want to try them but am a bit intimidated.  Any hints on how best to introduce them the first time?  Cold out of the can?  cooked? Recommendations please.

• Administrators

I like them out of a can splashed with a bit of Frank's Red Hot.

If you are on Instagram, go back 3 weeks on Melissa Hartwig's posts and she put out a call to her followers to tell her how to go about eating sardines for the first time!

The first time I tried them, I used the pan-fried sardine recipe from Clothes Make the Girl. Not something that you can stash in a drawer, but I think it's a good "icebreaker" to have them, realize they're pretty good and then not be so freaked out by the thought of eating them out of the can.

I had sardines for the first time about two months ago and now I crave the damn ALL. THE. TIME.

I have made them into cakes, like crab cakes, with egg, green onions, almond flour, salt & pepper and a bit of mayo since they were water packed. Now--I LOVE wild planet sardines straight out of the can packed in olive oil. I also like mustard with sardines too. Growing up, my grandmother, mom and I used to eat the sardines packed in mustard like they were going out of style! sooo good... but I think they have soybean oil in them now :-( 

Really recommend this recipe for sardines with romesco sauce. The sauce is delicious and would go with pretty much anything, but if you're nervous about eating sardines for the first time it's a great one to start with because the flavour of the sauce is so strong.

Boneless, skinless sardines are also probably the less scary option but it's worth getting to love the ones with bones because the bones are very nutritious. If you smash them up into something like sardine forshmak, you won't be able to tell they're there.

In a nicoise type salad with green beans, boiled eggs, tomatoes etc is also very nice.

Can you tell I love sardines? They tick all my boxes - tasty, nutritious, ethical, cheap and portable! I have them for lunch at least twice a week, whether I'm doing a whole 30 or not.

Mustard with sardines ... will try that next!

Archived