How is this different for you?

Well I haven't started yet I am getting myself prepared for this....But, My biggest change will be the breads and bad carbs like chips and all snacks.....Also giving up the hidden sugars in foods I thought were ok and giving up cheese I love my cheese LOL.

• 1 month later...

Dairy is probably the biggest change for me.  I've consciously tried to reduce carbs over the past few years... I quit buying bread and pasta but started making my own - probably much better nutritionally but still not Whole30 compliant.  So I miss cheese the most I guess; then plain greek yogurt and heavy cream which I used a lot in cooking.  I learned a while ago that fat is not the devil and I don't mind eating it at all.  I also miss bacon a lot and not sure if I can find a compliant source where I live in Ontario.

For me its the addition of all the healthy fats at every meal. I grew up doing the low-fat type dieting. I was always watching my fat intake, tracking portions, calories, metrics, etc. Eventually, I'd get bored and/or frustrated with all the monitoring and would fall off the wagon big time (a la pizza and ice cream) and put on any weigh I'd managed to lose. I was also a nightly wine drinker and that would lead to evening snacking on cheese, crackers, nuts. I'm finding this whole way of eating so freeing in general, and I'm not missing anything that used to make up my old diet. It took me about a week to reel in my fat-phobia, and now I look forward to it whether it be avocados, olives, coconut milk, oils, my delicious homemade mayo & dips/dressings. I've only had one small packet of almond butter since I started 2 weeks ago as nuts may be a food without breaks for me, and it didn't taste that good. The apple I was eating it on, on the other hand, was amazingly sweet! I'm loving this!

You know, I've been doing this for a while now, and what I miss has changed.  Today, I miss legumes.  And pretty much nothing else.  But I know that all it would take is a whiff of wonderful fresh crusty bread to make me miss that!

ThyPeace, happy with progress on changing tastes.

My husband and I are on Day 11. With adult children only, the biggest change for us is cooking almost every meal at home, which I am loving. We were eating out several times each week, although we tended to avoid fast food. But there seems to be a psychological component in the preparation – eating now is an active process, whereas eating out is passive...it requires no effort on your part as all. As for other stuff…

No dairy – after several trips to Africa where there isn’t much fresh milk to buy, and after reading how commercial milk here is

‘created’, I had pretty much given up milk. But I miss my cheese. And butter on my veggies and steaks. And my 

cappuccinos.

No legumes – I love pinto and black beans, so I miss them too.

No grains – the only two I really miss and hope I can add back are rice and oats. Don’t miss the others.

No alcohol – except for Bailey’s in my coffee occasionally, who cares?

The absolute biggest thing I miss and wish I could have almost every day? A breath mint!!!

This is my 3rd whole30, after 13 years of low-carb primal. The big differences are: no heavy cream in my coffee; no cheese; no dark chocolate; and no nightly shot of bourbon. I eat a lot more veggies and especially avocado, which takes the place of cheese. When the month is done, I'll add back in all those things, but in much smaller quantities. They are all so easy that I tend to rely on them instead of veggies.  I do Whole30 once or twice a year to get back into the habit of relying on veggies, not on cheese, to fill me up.

Archived