Who could use some Exercise Accountability?

feb27start

Hello everyone..this is a great thread! I haven't worked out much since July!!! I used to weight train, cardio, and yoga. I pulled a tendon and had on a cast. Well.....I have been struggling to get back. I am current on day 10 of the whole 30....feeling great. I have been skiing evert weekend since new years eve. once ski season winds down. ..for me this might be my last weekend, I plan on getting back into a more regular routine. I am planning on starting Sunday, March 22. I would love to check in here regularly. I definitely need the accountability. I would still like to check in to see what everyone is up to! Thanks.....

Wow - let me say, for your reintroduction exercise to be skiing, Hat's off to you!

Looking forward to hearing from you Sunday about what you decided to start with :-)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I met my Tuesday goal and did leg squats. It had been too long to count the last time i did them with weights, so i warmed up with 20 lbs on my shoulders, then that was too light - woohoo! I moved up to 30lbs for the next set of 20 squats. Then 40 - which felt pretty good, but was starting to get difficult to put over my shoulders - i could use some extra upper body strength. 50 would have been perfect, but that would never have happened. I need to learn how to get set up on one of the standing rack systems. I think that the standard bars are 45lbs without any added weight, so that would probably be a good place to start.

Anyways, somebody else snagged teh 40lb and i couldn't do any additional reps so i grabbed 10lb dumbells and did lunges with biceps curles at the same time for reps of 20 as well.

I finished off with a 10 minute run/hill climb on the treadmill and felt good for the rest of the day.

Today, my thighs are sore, but I can still walk up stairs. I hope they fell a little better before rock climbing tomorrow!

Wednesday check in:  lunchtime run done.   :)

Although my "runkeeper" app doesn't seem to want to work, which is annoying the daylights outa me.   :angry:

Tomorrow is a rest day.  I'm a big believer in rest days.  The body needs to recoup.

Now time for lunch - chocolate chili over roasted veggies & monkey salad.

Done my workout for today: 75 mins of weights + 45 mins aquafit. And I get to treat my body to a massage tonight. Woo hoo! :)

Nice job on the leg workout feb27! Yes, using the squat rack makes doing barbell squats *much* easier.

Good work getting in your lunchtime run tristar! I always find it easier to get my workout done in the early part of the day.

Made it to the rock climbing wall today with a friend. My legs were definitely sore from tuesday still - it the future i'll wait three days rather than two. But it was a lot of good effort.

Taking a break tomorrow to consider my plan for the next week.

Good morning!!! Well we decided not to go skiing this weekend Temps are starting to rise, and the next few weeks are a no go. I guess I will be packing up my gear until next season. BOO HOO! Oh well, today will be a chore day, and tomorrow come hell or high water, I will be starting a program I have to ease back into it! I hAve many of the Beachbody workout dvds that I will be doing. see you tomorrow. HAve an active and healthy day

OK, so questions for you all - which workout video's would you recommend? And also - whole30foods for new moms?

new mom thing:

I've got a friend coming into town and we are planning to see a friends of ours who just had a baby. She's totally on board to eat with me the way I do that weekend and we both decided we would cook for the new parents several meals to keep them going for a while. Any suggestions of meals to make for them?

Videos:

I used to take a zumba class a few years back which i LOVED, but then I moved and haven't found a convenient place near me. Are there any zumba videos out there?

I see the Beachbody workout listed by pyrotek... Somebody I climb with suggested p90x and a quick google search seems to say they are the same company. Is that right? 

Also, here's my plan for the next 7 days.

Saturday - Treadmill, it's cold raining today, blech

Sunday - Rock climbing

Monday - rest/stretch

Tuesday - run

Wed - rock climbing

Thursday - rest/stretch

Friday - weights

I used to the gym, and I loved it! However, once I went back to work it became difficult to fit it in. I was subject to their schedule. I now love working out at home NO ONE gets in the way, except for myself. It is hard to suggest a workout DVD for someone. Go to www.beachbody.Com see what they have and what looks like it might fit you. I then can answer questions about it. Others are Julian Michaels, Zumba, and JNL fusion....I love them all. Research them online and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Hi all, great job getting some movement in.

30 mins on elliptical, then arms & abs.

I've never been into workout videos, I get bored with them. However, YouTube has tons of videos, I use it for yoga. If you have cable tv, they likely will have free workout videos also.

I have tried P90x, I did like it, tough workouts. And I have a couple of friends who love the Jillian Michaels ones.

Very sweet of you to make meals for the new parents, I'm sure they'll be very appreciative. I'd suggest meals that can be frozen. Head over to Pinterest, there's tons over there. And I cannot say how much I love the Chocolate Chili on Clothesmakethegirl.com, she has a ton of great recipes & ideas.

For me, Week 1 is done. Rock on everyone!

I ended up doing an abs workout today that I found on amazon instant video instead of using the treadmill. Was pretty good. Good to know there are some instant options.

I'll definitely look into the names listed above. I watched a lot of p90x testimonials and the thought of building up my upper body strength is very appealing.

It's been awhile since I've reported in. Last week was a challenging week for me and I didn't get as much exercise in as I wanted. I only managed yoga on one day and two walks with kids in the double jog stroller. I did lots of stretching after the walks.  My goal this week is to walk at least 3 days with yoga afterward, Zumba on Wednesday and begin working with kettlebells.

I was able to spend more time reading and researching last week while breastfeeding and consoling a fussy baby. I've always wanted to do some sort of weight training or something other than cardio, crunches and push ups. Going to a gym is out for me right now and I really didn't know where to start. I read a few articles on the Whole9 blog and that lead me to the Kettlebell Movement site. This really seems like something I would not only enjoy but also benefit from. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. If not kettlebells - thoughts on other types of training are welcome too. I just need to start somewhere!

It has been very motivating reading everyone's posts. Right now I can't even fathom spending 75 minutes weight training or rock climbing and I don't even know what a hamsterwheel is but I'm willing to try new things and continue to learn from all of you.

Thank you for the inspiration!

I'm fighting off a cold so I shortened my run today to just 30 minutes. If I don't work out, I feel terrible but if I overdo it, it takes longer for me to get rid of my cold. Argh! We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Sunshine, good for you for getting out there and being so motivated! Don't fret too much about the intensity or length of your workouts. Walking, yoga and zumba sound great! Just be consistent and get out there. There's lots of options for you once that foundation is ready.

ps. I recommend not learning k-bells by DVD or online. Not because of the instruction per se, but rather that you cannot spot yourself or see your body in motion. So there's no way for you to check/audit that you're recruiting the right muscle and not hurting yourself. Just my two cents. :)

Thanks for the links feb27start! She is amazing! I think I watched a video of her demonstrating proper form with a jog stroller once.

Thanks for the encouragement and your thoughts evaq. I was actually thinking that without some one on one instruction I could get hurt with. Hope you feel better soon!

Archived