Who could use some Exercise Accountability?

feb27start

Well, we went for our walk. We have a nearby park with a nice path around a lake. The circuit is 2 miles--perfect. I'm not a runner. at. all. I tried it; did a few "fun runs" then decided I was more comfortable in the weight room.

This afternoon, I did my KB workout. I'm following Robb Wolf's program from his 30-day Transformation. I started out easy, after a long joint mobility warmup. I'm 62 and these old joints need a lot of limbering up. 30 minutes of KB swings, then a good stretch.

Now I'm ready to dig into some Kalua Pig. I followed the Pressure Cooker instructions with cabbage. It smells good, now that I've released the pressure.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today consisted of lots of meetings and in between a brisk walk to run errands over a two mile distance.

Tomorrow is the Relay for LIfe fundraiser, so i'll be walking for close to 6 hours overnight with my students. Last year it was a great time and we raised a lot of money. I also fit in a week's worth of exercise. So, I guess I planned ahead by not doing much else this week.

:-)

well done. 62 and still swinging. joints-1 couch-0. Hope the pig tasted delicious.

This afternoon, I did my KB workout. I'm following Robb Wolf's program from his 30-day Transformation. I started out easy, after a long joint mobility warmup. I'm 62 and these old joints need a lot of limbering up. 30 minutes of KB swings, then a good stretch.

1 hour of weights today for me

Rebe_j - I'm so glad you decided to join the thread! Good luck with Robb Wolff's program. I have his paleo book and am curious about his workout plan(s). Let me know how it goes.

higs - Varsity cross country??? I take it all back. You need no help or extra karma. You have the "crush" gene in your DNA. :) I hope the 10k goes well and I can't wait to hear about your HM training and race!

feb27 - I hope you have a great time tomorrow. Good luck with the Relay for Life! Wow, 6 hours is a *long* time to be on your feet. Extra long bubble bath for you tomorrow night. :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Tomorrow is the Relay for LIfe fundraiser, so i'll be walking for close to 6 hours overnight with my students. Last year it was a great time and we raised a lot of money. I also fit in a week's worth of exercise.

I agree, WOW! Six hours of walking is a lot. Having fun people and a worthy cause will make the miles and time fly.

The Kalua Pig & cabbage was dee-licious. I had to restrain myself from snacking on it as I was preparing the rest of the meal.

evaq: The Robb Wolf program is very simple. Basically intervals and circuits comprised of cardio, upper, and lower. He offers a matrix for mix n match options. I have kettlebells at home, so I'm using swings or light snatches for the cardio, and presses or rows for upper, and DLs or squats for the lower. I really want to do Pavel's Kettlebell: Simple & Sinister, but right now, even that is too advanced for me. It's next.

Here's something I read this morning that was timely for me.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-overcome-inertia-and-get-yourself-unstuck/#axzz3VawfyHOR

I'm back to report my workout is done. I think I'll like doing this plan. It's short and sweet to start, which will prevent DOMS, and I'll progress at my own pace. If I stay true to form, my strength will return by leaps and bounds after the first couple weeks. Consistency is the devil.....

Tomorrow is my long work day, so I'm calling it a DOR now. I'll get my walk in, though.

Nice work Rebe! And thanks for sharing the article. He's totally right (as he often is). I'm not sure if you're familiar with Tom Venuto (the physical trainer) and author) but when he was asked his opinion about what he considered "the best" diet or exercise program, he replied "The one you can stick with." Accessibility and consistency are keys to so much in life.

I've only done kbells a few times over the years and *each* time, I wake up feeling like I've been steamrolled. :)

Morning all. Today is day 30 for me - that really went fast! I know this is the excersize forum - the participation for which I am super grateful, but I'm going to turn this post into a bit of a diary entry.

I had a great time at the Relay last night - lots of walking and silly activities and conversations. I also confidently abstained from all the baked good fund raiser sales and shared my reasons why. It led to more than one interesting discussions with the medical students about what works for each person. Somewhat apt to the post evaq has above related to sticking to what works for you - one girl lost 20lbs over several months by changing portions and watching calories (too stressful for me) but for her, she realized she's become too sedintary while in school. I actually brought two hard boiled eggs and half an avocado with me to eat on top of the gratuitous iceberg lettuce salad because I remember last year the other options were burritos and pizza - the thought of which darn near repulsed me this year... isn't that interesting. I tell you though, the smell of a good piece of pizza is delightful ;-)

So, no weigh in yet for me, but a few things i've noticed... I was starting very close to my goal weight though with undeniably tight pants. My pants button more comfortably now, but i'm still concerned i'm keeping on a bit too much visceral fat (i have kept my round belly mostly). I think therefore, I might need to be running more and/or perhaps I haven't reduced stress as much as I intended.

I am still getting flashes of heartburn and I wish I'd kept a better log of timing/correlated foods. The lastest was last night after I hate a 2nd banana - I was getting hungry a couple hours after dinner and that was the only food available on plan. It was exceptionally sweet tasting and then i felt a migraine coming on and the burn. This morning i used significantly less banana in my breakfast smoothie than usual and it still tastes really sweet. I don't know yet if there is heartburn - if it is even the banana or what...

Anyways, today there will be a lot of cleaning and some running at the gym later. Tomorrow (yes, i'm off the 30 tomorrow but still in the game) I'll go rock climbing and I don't yet know what else - hopefully it will get warm enough I can work in my garden.

Good Morning,

feb27start: sounds like your relay was a success on many fronts. Hope you can solve the heartburn problem.

evaq: I was a devoted fan of Tom Venuto several years ago. I did well following his Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle  program.   Many people can't get past his body-builder resume, though.

I'm off to work. See y'all later.

Congrats feb27!  It sounds like the relay was a lot of fun.  What a cool way to socialize with lots of interesting people AND get a lot of exercise.

evaq:  I do have a "crush" gene that lives in my head, but my body doesn't comply (yet?  any more?  too soon to tell).  My x-c days were 30 years ago!  Geez, makes me feel old.  Here is my lesson learned:  all those articles about too much sitting are so right on.  I went from being sort of a jock and living a pretty active lifestyle when I was younger to twelve years ago, when I got a desk job and a long car commute (instead of bike).  I put on a bunch of weight, but worse than that, I developed so many alignment issues in my hips etc from all that sitting, it has taken me several years to get back on track once I tried to start exercising again.  I am FINALLY feeling like I am back to the old me.  Crush, here I come!

I achieved my plan for the week:  four running days and two walking + strength training days.  I'm impressed by all the kettle bell workouts some of you are doing!  My "strength training" right now is basically just a series of physical therapy exercises I've learned over the last couple years that help keep me in check.

Into the garden over here today, too!

60 mins of running for me today.

feb27 - Congrats on successfully completing your whole 30 and on the Relay! Talk about a double win. :)

Rebe - I'm a gal who likes her iron (2-3x week). My favourite movement is the squat. There's something completely empowering about having 135 lbs resting across your traps and feeling the full weight of it as you lower down...and your body (and posterior chain) responds. No matter how my weight fluctuated over the years, I've always tried maintained baseline fitness level. I (like everyone else) didn't love gaining weight but I figured that if I could always keep my baseline fitness and strength levels then the weight would be easier to deal with when I was ready. So I've followed and respected Tom Venuto. I have his book too! :)

higs - I have absolute faith in your "crush" DNA. But to be clear: crush to me isn't about setting PRs, but rather a commitment to put your best self forward each and every day. Something you're already mindfully doing. :)

I went rock climbing yesterday and it was the best climb i've had in months. I think the weights i've been doing have made me much more confident in my legs. An hour and a half went by before I knew it.

I fly across country tomorrow and then back on Friday - so 7.5 hours in a plane plus layovers each way - yay. I cooked extra food last night so i don't need to eat airport food, which can be really hit or miss.

i had a bad day 30 in terms of eating compliant (but different) food and causing major heartburn which persisted through yesterday - so my day one of reintroduction was not an accurate indicator of things. I only ate a small greek yogurt in the morning with no issues, but all day i had the residual blech. I'll give it my belly a break though and see about things later this week - doing some menu surfing for the trip.

Good Morning.

I got in a good Kettlebell workout yesterday. It was short and sweet. I felt like I was getting too much rest between sets and not working hard enough. I trust the program to progress steadily, if slowly.

evaq: I agree about the feeling of empowerment that comes with barbell training. I don't have the ankle mobility to do heavy squats anymore, but my favorite was the overhead squat--talk about feeling strong. These days, KB snatches and TGUs fill the bill.

I'm at work, so I'd better get to work.

Sorry! I forgot to post yesterday. This new job is playing havoc with my workouts and overall energy. I feel so zapped most days but I did manage to work out.

I did 40 mins of weights yesterday and ran 30 minutes today. Hope everything goes smoothly with your travel feb27. Short and sweet workout is better than no workout Rebe. Good job! :)

Rest is a very important lesson for me (and a hard-learned one). 

This is me. I took an extra rest day, too, even though I didn't think I really needed it. I'm ready for a good workout today.

evaq--a new job takes a lot of mental energy. I love that feeling of learning new stuff, but it can be exhausting. I'm trying to do a foam-roll/joint mobility/stretch routine every day whether I work out or not. It is quite stress-relieving.

I've been at my workplace for 15 years and my role has been evolving. My boss is getting ready to retire and is working on a succession plan. I'm torn between stepping up or down. At 62, I like to think work should be getting less challenging, not more. 

Today is the first of my normal 3 days off, and I have just enough stuff to do.

higs  - You *crush* even when you garden. :P Smart of you to take the extra rest day and I'm glad you did it.

Rebe - I *almost* went to a k-bell class on the weekend. Notice I said almost. You're an inspiration.

A short 40 minute weight session today for me. I'm honestly trying to figure out how/when to do my workouts with the new job + what my work day will look like. I'm so used to being able to do a mid-day workout (instead of taking a lunch). It saved my sanity and really helped me to break up the day. But I need to get the lay of the land first and cross my fingers that things settle down so I can do semi regular lunch workouts again.

It's been ages since I've reported in. I'm on day 29 today and feel amazing. Though I haven't managed to set a workout schedule yet, I have been very active. I've been walking with the double jog stroller that weighs about 40lb with 50ish lbs of kids. And of course there's Zumba....that love hate relationship. We've also done some minor walks and hiking with the baby in a front carrier.

We run a business from home and have a trade show to attend next week. I'll be able to stick with the Whole30 foods for the most part by packing most of my food. After that, I'm planning another Whole30 with the more focus on the whole9 factors.

I love this thread and appreciate the motivation you all are to me. After we get back in town I hope to get more committed to my exercise and checking in. I read every post and say, "Oh! That's awesome! She's my hero! I wanna be like that one day! "

Good morning.

I woke up with a sore hamstring. Actually, I could feel it last night before bedtime and went so far as to take an Advil. I'm trying to improve my quality of sleep and I didn't need a nagging pain in the tush. :P  It's silly how I strained it.  I was demonstrating to Husband how to do proper step-ups, and maybe I was showing off just a little. Later when I did my swings, I didn't notice any pain at the time, and really tried to put some oomph into my workout. I'm paying today.

evaq- when things settle down with work, give KBs a try. After barbells, they are relatively easy to learn (with an SFG trainer), and the bang-for-buck value is amazing, in terms of time, space and intensity.

Happy friday everyone! I just finished my workout this morning, 45 mins weights, mostly lower body (deadlifts, squats, upright rows, walking lunges etc.). I'm still trying to balance work/working out/family/social stuff so *any* workout is a victory for me. Today was especially nice since I went to the gym with both my sister and my 82-year-old mom (who just joined our YMCA last spring). Proof that you're never too old to crush it...even if it is aquafit for seniors. :)

Rebe - I just read your signature in you tagline. I LOVE it. My foam roller has been giving me sad looks for the past year. It's languishing in the corner of my living room (I thought that having it out in the open would encourage me to use it more. Not so much.). But today I am going to foam roll AND use the tennis ball on my super tight piriformus. Reading about your tight hammy reminded me about how stiff/dull achy/itchy my left side has been, for a while now. I need to be better at soft tissue work - I tend to get lazy about all that "maintenance" "prehab" stuff. So thanks for the reminder. I hope your hammy is feeling better. We're so quad dominant in most of our day-to-day, it's easy to stress/strain the hamstring. :(

Sunshine - I'm so glad you checked in. I was hoping that you were just too busy to post (vs dropping out). Don't discount the work and workouts you've been doing. Raising two young kids and pushing that dino stroller is no small potatoes. It's called resistance cardio. :) Good luck with the trade show. It's great that you've already scoped out/planned the food situation.

evaq: Three cheers for your Mom! I wish I had been able to get my Mom to do some resistance training. Finally, she agreed to aquafit and then was in a car wreck that set her back a lot. She suffered from osteoporosis and COPD. It was heart breaking to watch her suffer at the end. In her memory, I refuse to stop fighting those age-related conditions.

My hammy is much better today. My workout will be mostly upper body: KB presses and rows. I'll do some air squats in my warmup.

I've got Brussels sprouts roasting right now and I getting hungry for lunch.

For the sake of accountability (thank you Rebe) - my reintroduction week was not a well oiled machine. I was traveling and having a fantastic time - usually chosing the best things on most menus, but I had beer, potates, indian curry, ice cream, and even a sandwich (but not all at once). I did not like the ice cream - it tasted synthetic and gross. I didn't get sick with any of the food items, but I felt more stuffed than before and like I needed vegetables - i'm pretty sure in 4 days  i put on the weight i lost in four weeks too, which sucks. I always miss my breakfast smoothies while i'm away. Now that I'm back, I have been using less fruit and nuts, and more veggies and the smoothie with an egg or sugar free bacon (not as good as what I usually buy, but bacon... so freakin' good).

While i was gone, I did get in one day of weights at the hotel. I made it to the rock gym this evening and did not climb as well as I did last week, but I got my heart rate up and climbed till my hands said stop.

For the rest of the week - I want 2 days of weights (possibly finishing off with a little cardio) and another day of climbing.

I'm honestly trying to figure out how/when to do my workouts with the new job + what my work day will look like. I'm so used to being able to do a mid-day workout (instead of taking a lunch). It saved my sanity and really helped me to break up the day. But I need to get the lay of the land first and cross my fingers that things settle down so I can do semi regular lunch workouts again.

>>I know the feeling. I actually have a gym at work, but because of time restrictions with things at home, I actually need to work at work and don't take the breaks. used to be great to go for a run when i felt like it and take a group class once a week. hopefully you'll find your groove again and be able to maximize time again. good luck!

Archived