Pre-meal and snacks

Stingray

I am on day 5 of w30 and I do my workouts around 5 in the morning , I grab a coffee and I'm off to the gym. I saw in the forum almond butter-is that allowed for a pre-workout. I used to eat an energy bar now is just coffee . Any suggestions?

And I am going to the movies this weekend and I loved eating popcorn- what would be a good snack to take to avoid temptation.

Snacking is not forbidden but discouraged.  If you're hungry, have fish or chicken and broccoli before you go to the movie.  No snacks at the movie.   Snacks beget more snacks.  They multiply like amoebas.  Once you let them in door and they get a toehold...they're not leaving without a fight.

Snacks are play foods.  For most of us, they're the reminder that sugar equals love when we were children.  Enjoy the movie and kick snacking to the curb.  At the end of 30 days, you'll be well on your way to breaking the cycle of snacking.

You will find bliss and joy in that, too.

I am on day 5 of w30 and I do my workouts around 5 in the morning , I grab a coffee and I'm off to the gym. I saw in the forum almond butter-is that allowed for a pre-workout. I used to eat an energy bar now is just coffee . Any suggestions?

And I am going to the movies this weekend and I loved eating popcorn- what would be a good snack to take to avoid temptation.

For pre workout almond butter is fine but not the best thing you can eat. You want fat and protein and preferably something that is easily digested. Nuts can cause stomach issues for most people. Hard boiled eggs would be a better option or some leftover meat with some fat. If you do have almond butter make sure it doesn't have any off plan ingredients in it.

For the movies I would use this as a retraining of your habits experience. Whole30 is just as much about changing our habits as it is the foods we eat. Have a big enough meal before you go and bring a water bottle. Just enjoy the movie without a snack. Snacking is usually mindless eating and we want to be mindful.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I am in day 20 of whole 30-my takeaway so far is that I miss my creamer and my one glass of wine the most.

Is easier now- the first week was hell. So now, that I see the end zone. I do have a few questions.

When I re-introduced the categories, I will start with dairy creamer in my coffee and as I understand in the book, I am back on the W30 for two days documenting how I feel. Then I have my glass of wine, then I go back to W30. Then the same with grains and sugars.

Questions: A lot of the ingredients had soy(tuna fish and my favorite tea-which I avoidedwhich category does soy fall under?

And when I introduce the categories should I overindulge to get the full effect I.e diary- have chesse, ice cream for dessert.

Thanks in advance.

Questions: A lot of the ingredients had soy(tuna fish and my favorite tea-which I avoidedwhich category does soy fall under?

And when I introduce the categories should I overindulge to get the full effect I.e diary- have chesse, ice cream for dessert.

Thanks in advance.

Soy is a legume. Some folks do soy on legume day. Others seperate soy out and have its own reintro day.

On each reintro day, the recommendation is to have a serving size of the reintro food group at meal 1, 2 and 3. The exception to that would be alcohol: I typically recommend 1-2 drinks on alcohol day.

Oh and sugar doesn't need its own reintro day, per Melissa. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11298-day-31-re-intro-email-sugar-not-listed/?p=115489

I wanted to get coconut milk for my coffee and seeing two diffrent brands one had carregan and the other had Nathan gum. What brand and where can I get the coconut milk people to about?

You want to get coconut milk in a can. That's typically in the Asian aisle in the grocery store. Watch out for potassium metabisulfite, which would make it not compliant.  I get Thai Kitchen, or Whole Foods brand coconut milks.  Check your ingredient labels, as ingredients change and can vary by region.

Archived