Now I know my life has changed

SportsGalPal

Yesterday I had one of the WORSE days ever - not only was it the monthly visit, but I had a project at work completely fall apart, got into a huge fight with my husband and to top it all off my car wouldn't start at the end of the day. I had to wait an hour and half before my husband could come to rescue me.

When he came he had brought me a brownie, which before January I would have chowed right down on. But this time, despite my wanting to cry my eyes out and starving I sad "no thanks" and gave the brownie to the kids to share.

I didn't feel guilty about passing up the treat, I didn't feel regret, I just said no.

It wasn't until this morning that I realize what a BIG deal this is for me - because before I would have obsessed about that brownie and or worse I would have started with the brownie and then binged on tons of unhealthy food.

Instead I came home and took a super relaxing shower and indulged in going to bed early with a good book.

I could never have gotten to this point without this program. I completed my first Whole30 on February 3rd and continued since then.  I've only had three meal since that have not been Whole30 compliant - and I'm still losing weight. But I hadn't felt like a true success until right now.

This is the only place I can share this - because all of you understand. You get how hard that first week was and how difficult it is to pass up past comfort food for something so much better. The ability to say no, mean it, and move on. I've never felt so powerful.

• Moderators

Congratulations! For refusing the brownie as a new automatic response, and perhaps even more importantly, for recognizing what a huge shift this is for you. 

Good for you! My favorite changes are like this: when I find that something has shifted so much that I have a "new normal" in that area, and sometimes I only realize it afterwards ("oof, what a rough day, I'm not happy with this or this other.... but  - wait! a few years ago, this day would have ended with me facedown in a bowl of ice cream and tonight that didn't even cross my mind...").

Sticking to your commitment when all is going well and you're on top of your game is great, no question about it. But doing that after a really tough day AND not obsessing about it AND gravitating to a true way to nurture yourself (shower, book, early bedtime)? Wow, that seems like a pretty profound shift to me. Congratulations!!!

It does feel wonderful !   I consider little things like that as Non Scale Victories  (NSV)  and I rejoiced every time I had one ! as you should too.  I had to put down my cat - and didn't get the job promotion I wanted.. the old me would have had a big (and I mean big) glass of wine and that pizza that I had made for my younger daughter.  I bypassed both and had a good dinner, and I felt so much better.

So congrats on your NSV - !!!!

• Administrators

It does feel wonderful !   I consider little things like that as Non Scale Victories  (NSV)  and I rejoiced every time I had one ! as you should too.  I had to put down my cat - and didn't get the job promotion I wanted.. the old me would have had a big (and I mean big) glass of wine and that pizza that I had made for my younger daughter.  I bypassed both and had a good dinner, and I felt so much better.

So congrats on your NSV - !!!!

Aww, so sorry to hear about your cat.  Losing a pet is always so hard. :(

Archived