Reintroduction With Eczema Worse Than Before

Loulabelle

I finished my W30 AIP last week (2nd March); while I was on it my eczema pretty much cleared up. I still had itchy skin but most of the redness disappeared from my arms & face. I started with my reintroductions and it has all gone horribly wrong already; I need some advice on how to continue. 

I started off with reintroducing dairy, only a small amount of steamed milk in my morning coffee. I don't ever drink milk straight up and I haven't felt like eating cheese or any other dairy product yet. There was no real difference in my skin so yesterday I ate eggs, my eczema has flared up so badly I have it in places I have never had it before like my back and neck. I itch like mad and am generally very unhappy with it. I've done some reading around the forum and have read that for some people dairy reactions can take up to a couple of weeks to manifest as eczema. So now I have no idea if it was a delayed reaction to the small amount of milk or an almost immediate reaction to the eggs. How can I figure this out? Do I have to go back on AIP till my skin clears up again then do a slower reintroduction? Any advice is greatly appreciated before I scratch myself into oblivion. 

Hi there.

I would definitely do a few days of solid AIP whole 30 days until your skin clears up.

Keep in mind that you need to re-intro foods one a time - with 2 to three "clean" days in between.  So dairy day.  eat 2 or 3 clean days then egg day.  the 2 or three days again then tomatoes (or whatever)  It is very important that you take you time to re-intro your foods one a time.  And for AIP this can be quite time consuming.

I have issues with rosacea, eczema, and hidradentis suppurativa.  And yes dairy is a big giant no-no for me if I want to avoid 2 out of the 3 skin reactions.  Ghee even gives me issues. (small issues - but still issues)

Hi Carlaccini,

Ah so I need to have the dairy then back to AIP for several days before trying anything else including more dairy? I had dairy as my first reintroduction then had it 4 out of 5 mornings with no reaction before trying eggs. I am back on AIP for now, I think I will go straight for eggs next time rather than dairy. This part is harder than sticking to AIP for 30 days  :) .

Thanks!

You can honestly re-intro your foods in whatever order you would like. 

So when you re-intro eggs - it's just eggs that day.  And when you re-intro dairy - it's just dairy that day.  Even though eggs might be okay.

Yes - I would definitely say that this part is a lot harder than the actual whole 30 itself.  But you are looking for accurate information.  

It's been 7 days now since my eczema flared up and it hasn't gone back down even though I've been AIP compliant again for a week. I't back onto the hydrocortisone cream to make it go away, the damn infernal itching is disturbing my sleep too much. I hate eczema!

• Administrators

It's been 7 days now since my eczema flared up and it hasn't gone back down even though I've been AIP compliant again for a week. I't back onto the hydrocortisone cream to make it go away, the damn infernal itching is disturbing my sleep too much. I hate eczema!

I find that when I get dairy'd and end up with eczema (goes from non existant to full-blown instantly), it takes at least 14 days of fully compliant eating to get back to healed....and sometimes I do need at least one good smear of the hydrocortisone creme to get there.  I also scratch at night and have disrupted sleep because of it.....and then of course getting in the shower the next morning is sheer agony.  :(

• 1 month later...

My eczema has been really good recently, it has pretty much gone totally from my arms and neck and I have only had a few dry patches on my back. I did figure out that wool, especially scratchy wool like Tweed, triggers it. Yesterday I decided to try dairy again after not having it since my last update here. There were two reasons for this one is that I went shopping in the most fantastic cheese shop that I go to occasionally, they sell the most beautiful cheeses from small farms in the Swiss Alps, they all taste divine! The second reason is that I finally have my appointment with a dermatologist on Monday and didn't really have anything to show him. My logic was to combine the two, indulge in some cheese to see if I get a reaction to have something to show the Dr. 

So within an hour of consuming deliciousness yesterday my neck was red and angry looking and my eyes swollen and itchy. My arms are still OK so far but I can feel them starting to react, or maybe I am trying too hard to feel something. I now know for sure that dairy products trigger my eczema which is a big step forward, I never experienced any digestive issues thankfully. Now I have to decide if an occasional indulgence is worth the reaction, I suspect that cheese is now going to be a very infrequent treat for me.

Archived