Almond milk and coconut milk in cartons from Whole Foods?

agk

Here are the ingredients. The coconut milk ingredients are also similar.

Ingredients: Organic almondmilk (filtered water, organic almonds), tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, xanthan gum, potassium citrate, sunflower lecithin, vitamin a palmitate, ergocalciferol (vitamin d2), dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (vitamin e).

Ingredients: Organic Coconut Milk (Organic Coconut Cream, Water, Guar Gum), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D-2, L-selenomethionine (Selenium), Zinc Oxide, Folic Acid, Vitamin B-12.

Thanks!

Mods should weigh in, but the first thing I see is a lot of ingredients!

Nothing jumps out at me in the almond milk as being obviously off, but I prefer food that has all ingredients I can pronounce and understand without higher chemistry.

In the coconut milk, I see sugar (Organic evaporated cane juice) and carrageenan, both which are out if you are doing a Whole30.

You can make your own nut milk with just nuts and water. My sister does this and she enjoys it very much. Nuts don't ever last long enough in my house for me to try making my own, but at least I know it's possible!

Thanks everyone! We did get the unsweetened coconut milk in the carton (I didn't realize I'd copied down ingredients from the 'Net with the evaporated cane juice) but the Carrageenan is still out. Into the freezer it goes and we'll grab coconut milk in cans. I'm guessing the fattier version tastes better anyway!

• Moderators

I believe previous versions of the Whole30 guidelines specifically said no to any milk in cartons - almond, coconut, whatever. Whole9 has had to cut a few things as they have added a few things over the months (and years). My memory of how it used to be make me an old-timer, I guess.

If I am misremembering the ban being in the guidelines, it was in the comments section in response to a question long ago. Misremembering potentially being another sign of an old-timer.

I believe previous versions of the Whole30 guidelines specifically said no to any milk in cartons - almond, coconut, whatever. Whole9 has had to cut a few things as they have added a few things over the months (and years). My memory of how it used to be make me an old-timer, I guess.

The lone exception that I have found is the Arroy-D brand from Thailand. Ingredients are: Coconut Milk (in fact it's the only one that I could find that doesn't have Guar Gum in it.)

Since you're in GA, it's at the Dekalb Farmer's Market (I know that's a trip from A'retta).

Archived