What's the deal with fruit?

heyheynicolep

Maybe this is addressed in It Starts With Food (which I've just started) but I keep seeing posts in the forum about not eating fruit as a snack. And the meal template says "occasionally eat a serving of fruit". So I'm still confused, how much fruit can I eat in a day? Can I have a serving of fruit with each meal? 

Thanks!

Fruits are best at the end of meals...after an excellent compliant meal of proteins, vegetables and fats.  Two fruits aday is enough for most people.  Fruits and nuts when eaten alone can become a trigger for snacking all throughout the day.  Some eat fruits 5 or 6 X aday and that's frankly, a whole lotta fruit sugars.  Snacks are not forbidden but discouraged, especially if snacking pre-Whole 30 was a way of life.

• Moderators

You could have a serving with each meal if you want. It's recommended to try to limit it to 1-2 servings per day, and not to let fruit push veggies off your plate, but if you have some at each meal throughout a day occasionally, that's okay. If you don't want any fruit at all, that's also okay -- you don't have to eat any, you can get all the nutrients you would get from fruit by eating plenty of different vegetables.

If you need food between meals because you're truly hungry, have a mini-meal that includes at least protein and fat, and maybe some vegetables.

Eating fruit by itself can cause your blood sugar to rise and then drop, which is why it's not recommended. 

Some people cut fruit out entirely because they feel the sweetness of the fruit contributes to keeping their "sugar dragon" alive and kicking, but that's something that people decide on their own, not something that Whole30 says is necessary. If you do have cravings for something sweet, the worst thing you can do is have something sweet -- even fruit -- because that just rewards those cravings and keeps you stuck in that cycle of craving sweets. If you're craving sweets and absolutely must eat something, have fat and protein instead to help get rid of the cravings. If you know that you have blood sugar issues (as in, you're diabetic or pre-diabetic) you may need to pay more attention and stick to things like berries that tend to not have as much natural sugar in them. 

You may also find you eat more fruit in the summer when it's fresh and plentiful, and less in the winter when they're not in season, and that's fine, but you still want to keep an eye on it and make sure you're not eating so much fruit that you're not getting plenty of vegetables, protein, and fat.

For more discussion about all of this, you can google Whole30 fruit and find lots of past discussions.

• Moderators

I actually eat fruit at the beginning of a meal rather than at the end, one to two times a day, max. My sugar dragon is so fierce I needed to break the habit of having something sweet at the end of a meal. This has worked well for me. And it's been a process. From fruit to nuts to tea with coconut milk to plain tea to nothing at all at the end of meals. I'm happier not needing any dessert crutch. So liberating.

• Administrators

I'm one of the folks who completely removed fruit.  I found that 1) the sugars in it messed with my system and 2) once I'd eaten a full template meal of protein, veggies and fat, I didn't have room left for it and I wasn't about to give up veggies for it. 

A couple months later I  started to add it back to things like coleslaw (apple) or salad (strawberry) or Pina Colada Chicken (pineapple) and found that the sweetness really made me crave other things like Cadbury Creme Eggs and hedgehogs and almond bark.  So.....back to no fruit for me. 

I'm one of the folks who completely removed fruit.  I found that 1) the sugars in it messed with my system and 2) once I'd eaten a full template meal of protein, veggies and fat, I didn't have room left for it and I wasn't about to give up veggies for it. 

A couple months later I  started to add it back to things like coleslaw (apple) or salad (strawberry) or Pina Colada Chicken (pineapple) and found that the sweetness really made me crave other things like Cadbury Creme Eggs and hedgehogs and almond bark.  So.....back to no fruit for me.    What are hedgehogs? book2.gif

• Administrators

A couple months later I  started to add it back to things like coleslaw (apple) or salad (strawberry) or Pina Colada Chicken (pineapple) and found that the sweetness really made me crave other things like Cadbury Creme Eggs and hedgehogs and almond bark.  So.....back to no fruit for me.    What are hedgehogs? book2.gif

Hedgehogs are a chocolate shell stuffed with hazelnut fudge, moulded into the shape of a hedgehog. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=purdys+hedgehogs&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=796&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Kuz9VLCxKcmuogSHx4GQDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

From fruit to nuts to tea with coconut milk to plain tea to nothing at all at the end of meals. I'm happier not needing any dessert crutch. So liberating.

Right now kicking my sugar addiction seems impossible (day 7), partly because I still think I actually like my sugar addiction. Which really just means my sugar addiction has the best of me. Perhaps I really need to focus on this aspect of the process. I may borrow your process here and start cutting anything sweet out all together. This discussion has made me realize I've been looking for sweet cheats these last few days - compliant foods that still satisfy my craving. Guess that's kinda missing the point, eh? Thanks for everyone's feedback! It does help to know I'm not alone in my cravings. 

I just watched an episode (popular afternoon show)...they recommended actually framing your favorite "Cheat Meal"! freaked.gif  If I had my favorite food framed and hanging on the wall, I would immediately want to get in my car and go buy one.   Nooo, I won't look.    coffee2.gif

We can't do the mess'around with sugar triggers.  They'll kick you in the hiney every time.  kickbutt.gif

I think of fruit as something that's okay to have, but not something to focus a meal around. When putting together a plate of food, my priorities for plant matter are green veggies (or other non-starchy veg), starchy veg, and occasional fruit (in that order). For breakfast today, I had a handful of raspberries, but I ate it alongside a big plate of hash with shredded chicken, chopped green beans, and shredded sweet potato (all cooked in coconut oil and drizzled with additional olive oil at the table) so that I would have adequate protein, fat, and veggies to keep me going.

I tend to use fruit as a garnish rather than as a separate part of my meal. I will have a handful of berries in a green salad, some diced apple or a few halved grapes in chicken salad or broccoli salad. 

I prefer a fruit garnish.   :D  Remember Tom Hanks in "You've Got Mail", when he ate all of the caviar garnish off of the table?

Slide bar to 2:12

Archived