Protein/Fat Food Options

amy_whole

I'm on day 6 of Whole30. I'm feeling really good about what I'm putting into my body. The only thing I'm facing is that my protein/fat sources are limited and I'm starting to get sick of fish a little too soon. Unfortunately, below is a list of items I can't eat. Would anyone be able to tell me what other sources of protein/fat I can eat that I may have overlooked.

I don't eat:

Meat/Poultry

Avocados - because of a food sensitivity

Eggs - because of a food sensitivity

Shellfish 

That leaves me with nuts (and nut butters), fish that isn't shellfish, coconut oils/butter, and some seeds. I used to get my energy from carbs, legumes, and fish, etc, but now I feel like I have to eat fish and nuts all the time. I'm feeling lethargic but it could be that I'm still in "the hangover/i want to nap" stage, or it could be because I'm just not eating enough protein and fats. I don't want my body to think I'm not feeding it enough and then for my metabolism to slow down.

Otherwise, it is going well. I'm eating a ton of vegetables and eating more fruit than I usually do. Any suggestions on protein/fat would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

• Moderators

I've merged the two topics you posted, as they were the same question.

Nuts are really not a good protein source, they're considered a fat source on Whole30. While they have some protein, it's not complete proteins like you'd find in fish, meat, and eggs.

For best results, we recommend following the meal template, which means protein at every meal. If the only protein you can eat is fish, you'll need fish at every meal. There are many different types of fish, and many ways to prepare them, so you can make this work without too much food boredom, but it will probably take more effort on your part than people who eat protein from more varied sources.

Can you let us know what a typical day's meals look like for you? We may be able to help you tweak what you're eating to help with your low energy.

Are you eating starchy vegetables at least once a day -- and more if you're active, prone to depression/anxiety, breastfeeding, pregnant, or in the week or so leading up to and during your period? That can definitely make a difference in energy levels.

For fat, olives/olive oil, coconut in any form, other oils like macadamia nut oil or sesame oil (not for cooking with, more for drizzling on after food is cooked), ghee or clarified butter. Oil isn't just for cooking with -- try a baked sweet potato with some coconut oil melted on it. Maybe look for AIP mayo recipes -- they wouldn't have eggs, since eggs aren't allowed on the autoimmune protocol diet.

Can I ask about not eating meat/poultry/shellfish -- is it ethical concerns, or texture issues, or something else? If it's ethical concerns, would occasionally buying good quality meat from farms where you know the animals were raised humanely and had a happy life be an option? (If it's not, that's okay, I wouldn't try to force anyone to change their mind, it's just a question. If this is something you'd like to explore, you can look for the Conscientious Omnivore series, starting with this one, for a little more information.) 

Shannon - Thank you so much for the thoughtful response. Thanks also for clarifying that nuts aren't complete proteins.

Re: meat/poultry: I've never really loved meat or poultry and then stopped eating it altogether about 2.5 years ago for ethical reasons. I never took the extra step to get rid of the fish (I know it is contradictory). I'd probably prefer not to go back to eating meat, although I do cook meat/poultry for my family. I will look at the conscientious omnivore section. The shellfish is for kosher reasons (not really for me, but because my husband grew up in a kosher household so I keep our house kosher). Below is what I've had since Wednesday. I don't have specific amounts on each - sorry. I realize I have to get my meals together in a better way so I can get enough nutrients. It looks like I was snacking below, but it is just because I listed the items down on the days and haven't organized it as meals. I do need to come up with a better plan for breakfast as well. Thanks again for any help.

Wednesday, March 4th

Apple

Banana

10 Carrots

Coconut crusted cod

Broccoli with garlic

Cashews

Japanese Sweet Potato (steamed)

Thursday, March 5th

Salmon

Cauliflower dish - carrots, zucchini, garlic, onion, cauli, ghee, turmeric, ginger, coconut aminos

Carrots

Coconut crusted cod (coconut milk, coconut, cod)

Cashews

Friday, March 6th

Grilled Salmon

Cauliflower dish - carrots, zucchini, garlic, onion, cauli, ghee, turmeric, ginger, coconut aminos

One date with coconut

Cashews

banana

Zucchini zoodles with onions, asparagus, and grilled salmon

2 clementines

Saturday, March 7th

Brussel sprouts, leeks, onions

Salmon, zucchini, garlic, asparagus

Cod on lettuce (lettuce wraps)

Butternut squash

Cashews

2 clementines

small glass of romaine smoothie – frozen banana, romaine lettuce, coconut water

romaine lettuce, spinach

Sunday, March 8th

Few blueberries

Orange

Bowl of carrots

Salmon with zucchini noodles, cod, Brussel sprouts

10 cashews

1/2 frozen banana

2 dates with coconut

5 steamed shrimp

Kale lettuce and toasted pine nuts

Almond butter with 2 apples

Green tea

Monday, March 9th

2 golden delicious apples with almond butter (2 tablespoons?)

kale with walnuts (about a cup)

branzino, no sauce

string beans, steamed

Chris - Thank you for pointing out the vegetarian option. It looks like I could have dairy and legumes with that option. That may be a better option for me and I'd continue to supplement with fish since I still eat fish. Let me give some thought to this. Thank you so much again.

Chris - Thank you for pointing out the vegetarian option. It looks like I could have dairy and legumes with that option. That may be a better option for me and I'd continue to supplement with fish since I still eat fish. Let me give some thought to this. Thank you so much again.

Actually, to clarify, the Whole30 plans are not designed to be combined.

You would either choose the omnivore plan with fish only, or the vegetarian plan without eggs (because of your sensitivity) or fish (because fish isn't on the vegetarian plan).

I'd suggest looking at both plans and deciding on which you feel you'll have the most protein options, and go from there.

EDIT: I just looked at your food log post. It's hard to tell from what you listed - have you been getting in 3 meals daily? The idea, from a best practice perspective re: hormonal balance,  is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Chris - Ahh, thank you for pointing that out. Is there feedback out there from people who have done both to suggest which plan (omnivore fish only OR vegetarian plan without eggs -- and no fish) is best for people with autoimmune issues? I'm asking because I have rheumatoid arthritis. 

On another note, my reason for starting this is because I am a sugar addict. I honestly have lived on sugar and grains. Even though I'm still having some fruits, I feel it is real progress that I have stopped eating sugar and grains.

Chris - Ahh, thank you for pointing that out. Is there feedback out there from people who have done both to suggest which plan (omnivore fish only OR vegetarian plan without eggs -- and no fish) is best for people with autoimmune issues? I'm asking because I have rheumatoid arthritis. 

From a protein perspective, eggs are the only protein off the AIP plan, so you won't get much of a difference between ominvore fish only or vegetarian minus eggs and fish.  We generally recommend completing a standard Whole30 first before undergoing the AIP version. You can review the AIP shopping list here, which eliminates some vegetables and lots of fats. 

• Moderators

@ShannonM816 and @GFChris - Just a quick follow up. If I'm eating fish at every meal, won't it then raise mercury level concerns?

I know some fish have more mercury than others, you could emphasize the ones with less -- here's one list that has that information, although I'm sure there are others.  You might also find this article helpful.

I'd also point out that the Whole30 is 30 days. Afterwards, you can reintroduce things like legumes or dairy, wherever you used to get your protein from, and if you have no particular negative reactions to them, work them into rotation in your meals. So while you may be consuming a lot of fish now, you will probably be able to cut back on it later.

Thanks again @ShannonM816 and @GFChris - One more question and then I won't badger you both anymore. If I'm so sick of eating fish with each meal, can't I just load up on more vegetables? What would be the negative consequences? That I'm not getting enough protein? 

Thanks again @ShannonM816 and @GFChris - One more question and then I won't badger you both anymore. If I'm so sick of eating fish with each meal, can't I just load up on more vegetables? What would be the negative consequences? That I'm not getting enough protein? 

The best results come from following the meal template three times per day, so a "palm-size" of protein, or the equivalent at every meal. Protein plays a major role in nutrition and also satiation--eating veggies alone, with no protein will be less satisfying and you may find you need to eat more volume than is comfortable to stay satisfied until the next meal.

Mercury isn't really a concern as long as you are consuming adequate selenium. Many fish provide this, but if in doubt you could supplement with selenium or eat a brazil nut or two.

Amy, thanks for your post. I recently learned I have mild psoriasis, and my autoimmune condition is showing up in other unpleasant ways during my Whole30, including an allergic reaction after a group exercise class resulting in total body rash. I've never been one to get sick easily or get injured, so this is new territory for me. I long-suspected gluten issues, so I've done my best to eliminate that long ago. But learning that I have to let go of eggs (my main breakfast protein!) has been a difficult pill for me to swallow. I'm not a big meat eater, but I've made sure to include animal protein at every meal. I'm still trying to work through the best approach to my whole30 since I now can't have eggs, and will post a separate question about it so I can get some good feedback. But I wanted to thank you for putting yourself out there so that others of us with autoimmune issues could benefit.

On another note, my reason for starting this is because I am a sugar addict. I honestly have lived on sugar and grains. Even though I'm still having some fruits, I feel it is real progress that I have stopped eating sugar and grains.

For autoimmune issues, it's recommended to avoid grain, legumes, nightshades, nuts, seeds, and seed-based spices. (As well as eggs, but you already don't eat eggs.) AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) is a big commitment and can be a tremendous pain in the rear (I followed it for about 6wks last year before I started reintroductions) and it's recommended to try only if other options haven't worked for you. The standard Whole30 is enough to provide symptom relief/remission for some people so start there. If after 30 days you feel that you farther to go, then consider whether or not AIP might be beneficial to you. If choose to try it, I'd highly recommend the book Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo. She provides meal plans and helps make AIP less of an ordeal.

Archived