With kids too?

kcpenney

My husband and I are starting the Whole30 on April 6th. Would you suggest doing it with the whole family at once or just me and my husband first then adding them later??

I have seen a lot of people say they did a Whole30 with their kids after their own.

Just curious on thoughts.

Thanks!

What we decided to do with my girls who are almost 10 is at dinner they eat what we eat.  Sometimes I do slight modifications, like one night we had brussel sprouts, so I made one of my girls peas to go with it.  Last night we had salsa chicken, they had some clean chips to eat with it.  

I did a whole 55 days, and the last week, one of my girls had a no bread melt down.  She actually took out my cookbooks and started to look for the bread recipe. She made a loaf a bread with my supervision in the bread machine.     

I think a big part of it depends on what your kids were eating before.      I'm thinking of doing another strict whole 30 with an introduction phase which i skipped last time.  I would love to get my girls do it along side of us.  One of my girls skin on the back of her arm breaks out when she eats certain things.  Trying to convince her that if she did the whole30, we would know what was causing it.  But I also understand that they are kids, and they are tempted by other kids.  They swap food at lunch.  They had cupcakes after the last bball game, they had cupcaked after practice a few times due to kids bring them in for birthday, etc.  

Key i think is to find the right balance to give them the proper foundations to make great choices.

I am doing Whole30 at the mo and my children (aged 1 and 4) are eating some but not all of the food I prepare. For breakfast they both have porridge with full fat milk (and tbh post Whole30 I may revert to this some days, provided I am ok with oats and dairy). But they will also be offered egg and veg, the 1 year old picks at the food on my plate so has tried a lot of Whole30 stuff.

Lunch and dinner I tend to be cooking meat or fish (salmon a big fave) which they will have, and again whatever veggies I am having. I am eating a fair number of starchy veg so sweet potato or even normal potato is often on the menu. I sometimes cook them some rice, pasta or noodles to have with it, so I am not cooking twice, just adding to their plates. If the four year old wasn't fussy then I would give her exactly what I was having, but she wont eat all veg or even all meat so I do give grains.

Have cut down on the amount of bread I am baking considerably, but sometimes I will give them something really fast like beans or cheese on toast.

I think you can mix and match, and it depends on what they are used to. I think offering them new food and flavours and seeing what they make of it is the best approach to take, but not to get too stressed about it as the last thing you need is to turn food and mealtimes into a battleground.

Post Whole30 I may be trying out some paleo baking with them too!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My kids are 13 & 17. Before we started I told my 17 yo son, "You've been complaining about your weight, give me 30 days and I know you'll see what I'm talking about." He agreed and has lost 35 pounds over the last 2 months and is feeling so much better. My 13 yo daughter eats what we eat and buys hot lunches at school. She didn't need to lose any weight but I like that she's eating healthier at home.

Archived