Salmon Cakes from ISWF

decker_bear

Hey all! Wondering if anyone has made the salmon cakes from It Starts With Food...? I made them the other night using fresh/frozen salmon chunks (wild caught) instead of canned. Aside from that I followed the recipe to a "T." They turned out with an "off" texture, almost dry but not quite and sort of mealy. I can't imagine substituting fresh fish for canned would have that much of a dramatic impact on the overall recipe (toward the negative!), but I suppose it's possible. Has anyone had success with this recipe they'd care to share?

Thanks!

• Administrators

I've never made them with canned but I have made them with fresh....well....previously frozen and they are a house favourite!  I usually make them with a baked yam rather than canned.  I wonder if your almond flour was too coarse?

I make them with canned salmon, and also recently tried canned crab (I liked the salmon better, my husband liked the crab better).  

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I use almond meal (from Trader Joe's) instead of almond flour. 

Always comes out tasty!

Great suggestions, thanks! I just realized one thing: I used boiled yam instead of baked, I suppose that could have impacted it - so I did NOT make them to a T. It sounds like the amount of almond meal/flour/whatever-it-is could be the culprit, and I like the idea of adding mayo. This definitely gives me a good place to go. I have one more packet of salmon in my freezer so I'm thinking I will try it again, and hopefully the salmon will be on special at the FM this weekend again!

You guys are the best, thank you! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I made these the other night using the the recipe out of my Whole30 book...I was out of sweet potatoes (which is a rarity in our house because I buy so many) so I used canned pumpkin, they turned out yummy! Will definitely be making these again!

I made salmon cakes the other night. Served two with a snack left over. 

6.5 oz can salmon

1/2 c almond meal

1 whole egg

1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning

Salt and pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients thoroughly in a bowl and chill to help flavors and ingredient meld. 

Form into patties. They will be moist and loose. Dredge in almond meal on both sides and brown in hot oil of choice. I used coconut oil.

Serve with homemade tartar sauce using homemade mayo. 

Tasty, with succulent texture.

I made the Salmon Cakes from Well Fed 2 again last night. Used leftover roasted sweet potatoes thrown in my mini chopper so they were "mashed". They came out a touch on the dry side so I threw some ghee in there and whizzed it again so the potatoes were smoother. Mixed together all the ingredients *except* the almond meal and they were moist but holding together just fine. Baked them off and they were delicious. Held together beautifully, were moist, and made a very nice "english muffin" for some poached eggs and hollandaise (and veggies!) I had for dinner last night. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting to make them... Could I use coconut flour instead?

I did that last night out of necessity, and I was praying the whole time that that was still compliant.  They had a tiny bit of coconut essence in their flavor, but everything seemed to be in order.  Mine were a bit dry, too, so I'll tinker with the amount of flour next time.  My toddler *loved* them.

Archived