Where's my energy, day 33

• 2 weeks later...

I lost 9.2 pounds by the end of my Whole30, a week ago, but I have been feeling sooo tired. The fatigue started about 3 weeks into it and this morning, Sunday, was so bad I didn't go to church - and that's saying a lot. I went back to sleep. Got up, still feeling absolutely drained. My diet pretty much consists of: eggs, raw veggies, little fruit, almonds, meat or tuna, 1-2 dates a day. I just started B-12, Vitamin D and Iron. Sure hope you can Help us! This is very depressing.

I lost 9.2 pounds by the end of my Whole30, a week ago, but I have been feeling sooo tired. The fatigue started about 3 weeks into it and this morning, Sunday, was so bad I didn't go to church - and that's saying a lot. I went back to sleep. Got up, still feeling absolutely drained. My diet pretty much consists of: eggs, raw veggies, little fruit, almonds, meat or tuna, 1-2 dates a day. I just started B-12, Vitamin D and Iron. Sure hope you can Help us! This is very depressing.

We need a bit more information. Can you post a couple days' worth of meals, identify meal 1, meal 2 and meal 3, their associated components and portion sizes, along with snacks? Also daily water consumption, nightly hours of sleep, and any exercise.

Breakfast: handful of raw veggies (celery, zucchini, carrot, turnip, broccoli, cauliflower, 2 grape tomatoes), 3 egg omelet (onion, green red & yellow pepper) fried in olive oil, 1/2 kiwi or 1/2 tangerine, black coffee.

Lunch: 2 handfuls of same raw veggies, can tuna, 1 small piece fruit (tangerine, pear, apple), black coffee.

Late afternoon snack: small handful raw almonds, 1-2 medjool dates.

Dinner: 5oz. london broil, cooked summer squash with onion, broccoli.

Snack: raw almonds & medjool date or piece fruit.

70-80 ounces of water

8 hrs. sleep

No exercise yet.

Whole30 isn't a detox.

I'm thinking you need more veggies. If you're only having a handful or two per meal, add more. Aim for 1-3 cups per meal. You might also try adding 1-2 fist-sized servings of carb-dense vegetables daily.

Avoid having fruit as a snack. If you are truly hungry between meals, have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source.

What was your fat with your tuna lunch?

You asked "What was your fat with your tuna lunch?" I guess I wasn't thinking about having fat at each meal, duh. Black olives would work, right? How many? Or a tablespoon of coconut oil? Are a few pieces of coconut the same as having oil? And I will definitely add more veggies although seems like I'd be over-full (like breakfast of 3 eggs PLUS 1-3 Cups of vegs. Whew! Thanks for the advice - I'll surely take it!

You asked "What was your fat with your tuna lunch?" I guess I wasn't thinking about having fat at each meal, duh. Black olives would work, right? How many? Or a tablespoon of coconut oil? Are a few pieces of coconut the same as having oil? And I will definitely add more veggies although seems like I'd be over-full (like breakfast of 3 eggs PLUS 1-3 Cups of vegs. Whew! Thanks for the advice - I'll surely take it!

At breakfast I'm having 3 eggs, PLUS 2-3 cups spinach or kale (scrambled in with the eggs), PLUS sauteed mushrooms, PLUS 1/2 an avocado, PLUS a few thin slices of chicken/beef or bacon, and no fatigue here, or no need for snacks.

Follow the meal templates - they are there for a reason.

• Administrators

Yep, big breakfasts for the win. Ours this week is a 2 egg omelette stuffed with around a cup of mushrooms and some pulled pork with a "large" cup of roasted veggies on the side. And half an avocado if I feel like it.

Agreed.  Today I had 3 eggs, a couple of good handfuls of kalua pig, and 2 cups of mushrooms/peppers/spinach/tomatoes.  I probably should have had some sweet potatoes since it's 10:00 AM and I'm already hungry again.

Today: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, 2 strips bacon, cup raw veggies, coffee; 1 1/2 cups raw veggies, 10 black olives, london broil, 1 TBL coconut oil; roasted carb-rich vegs (olive oil), ground pork, sauer kraut. I have had two naps since I got home from work. Very disheartening. Where am I still missing it? Or was I expecting an unreasonably speedy energy boost? :'(

Are you drinking enough water?  Dehydration can contribute to fatigue.  Are you sleeping well at night?  Do you use a sleep tracker?  I have one on my watch that tracks the percentage of time I spend in deep sleep vs the toss and turn and times I wake during the night.  The higher my % the better I feel.  Any seasonal allergies going on that require OTC medication?  Any other meds you are taking that can contribute to fatigue?  

I know I personally eat 3 eggs every morning, and there are always veggies too mixed in or on the side.  I find the bigger my breakfast the better my day.  You might try pre cooking, roasting, or steaming veggies to add to your eggs.  I love raw vegetables but they fill me up quickly and don't exactly last a long time in the tank.

I have had two naps since I got home from work.

It might be counter-intuitive, but you might try being more active than you feel like. Sometimes fatigue and sleep can be self-pepetuating. Our bodies seek homeostasis, and so if you increase demand you increase capability.

• Administrators

Today: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, 2 strips bacon, cup raw veggies, coffee; 1 1/2 cups raw veggies, 10 black olives, london broil, 1 TBL coconut oil; roasted carb-rich vegs (olive oil), ground pork, sauer kraut. I have had two naps since I got home from work. Very disheartening. Where am I still missing it? Or was I expecting an unreasonably speedy energy boost? :'(

To me your breakfast doesn't look large enough.  Eggs as a singular protein are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping, usually about 3-4 for most women. Bacon is a fat source on Whole30.  Veggies could be increased from one cup to 1-3...and consider adding a cooked veggie in there.

Breakfast sets us up for the rest of the day and undereating at that meal cannot truly be made up for later in the day.  Try eating more at breakfast and see what happens.

Archived