Intro & need advice for 12 yr old son that wants to do W30

Tracy R.

Hello, I'm Tracy, a wife and mom of 4 from metro Atlanta. I changed the way my family eats this past June; we have a Primal home now. My husband, oldest daughter (21 yrs) and I have been consistent with it. My daughter and I are both wheat intolerant and my husband can tell a marked improvement in how he feels since being off the wheat. My daughter and I definitely feel better since making the changes. My youngest children, ages 12, 8 & 6, have not fussed much about the changes and only occasionally ask for foods that aren't part of our normal way of eating now. I bought ISWF last week and my husband and I are going to do Whole 30 starting Sept 1. (I know suppose to start "right then", but I need to start on the 1st. Sept has 30 days, whole30 is for 30 days...ok, it's an odd thing I need or I feel "off". lol) Anyways, my son surprised me by saying he wanted to do it also. I've talked to him about why I'm doing it and what all we won't be eating for the 30 days. He says he really wants to cause he is tired of being tired and his stomach hurting. The only hiccup we have is that his birthday is in September. He is wanting a Japanese meal for his birthday. He doesn't care for sweets and so doesn't care if he gets a birthday cake. He has asked me to try to figure something else out for him that would be inline with Whole30. This is where I need help. Any suggestions?

Tracy R

Have you tried searching for "Japanese Paleo Recipes"? You may find some with sweeteners like honey, but you can always modify them. Having a birthday during the Whole30 is tough, but what a great way to celebrate! I wish my 12 year old was interested in doing the W30!

I saw a recipe in Well Fed for some Nori rolls that had mango, shrimp, avocado and red pepper in them. Looked heavenly. You can do aso do a stir fry using coconut aminos or make the Well Fed Paleo Pad Thai dish. Not exactly Japanese, but still good options.

Good luck finding some good foods to make for the birthday boy.

This recipe would need modification (skip the tofu, sake and sugar and substitute spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles and coconut aminos for the non=compliant stuff) but I have had sukiyaki cooked at the table before in a Japanese restaurant. It probably will still taste good even with modifications. Pretty authentic dish...

http://japanesefood....eefsukiyaki.htm

Archived