Day 25 and feeling extra hungry?

So I'm on day 25 now, and for most of my whole30 experience, I've found a really nice balance within the template to sustain me for 4-5 hours between meals.  However, this last week I have started getting legitimately hungry about 3 hours after I eat a meal.  I haven't reduced portion sizes or anything...I wonder if it's just my body adjusting to the DST spring forward?  it has wrecked me something fierce this year. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do here?  Food log for this week is below:

Day 22:

M1 (9:30 AM--DST is screwing with me heartily): 2 eggs w/kalua pig, bacon potatoes/broccoli/carrots, banana. (When I do the scramble-style breakfast I add enough veggies in to fill a standard dinnerplate.)

M2 (2:30 PM): DST wrecked my schedule so i had a mini meal of one turkey-cranberry meatball, a tangerine, and bacon carrots and potatoes.

M3 (5:30 PM): Roasted chicken and veggies, mashed jewel yams, strawberries.

Day 23:

M1 (7:30 AM): 2 scrambled eggs, kalua pig, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach/arugula.  Strawberries.

M2 (12:00 PM): 3 large Turkey cranberry meatballs, bacon-dripping-roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted butternut squash soup, orange.

M3 (5:30 PM): roasted chicken with mayo, spinach/arugula salad, jewel yam puree, banana.

Day 24:

M1 (7:30 AM): 2 scrambled eggs, kalua pig, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach/arugula.  Banana.

M2 (12:00 PM): Roasted chicken w/mayo, spinach/kale salad w/tomatoes, butternut squash soup, strawberries.

M3 (6:15 PM): Bacon burger patty, pan fried potatoes, roasted carrots/broccoli/mushrooms.

Day 25:

M1 (7:30 AM): 3 bacon/egg muffins, pan fried potatoes, roasted carrots & mushrooms, a banana.

Thanks so much!

• Moderators

It is common to feel extra hungry occasionally. Eat more when that happens. Either more food at your basic meals or add an extra meal to the day. The hungriness is likely to pass within one or two days and you can go back to eating ordinary template meals. 

Can it really be that simple?  ;-D

My biggest hangup is I come from a background of perpetual snacking and mindless eating, and while I've been able to stop that completely since beginning the whole30, I am concerned if I bring enough food for a third meal during the workday that I will eat it because it's there.  Does that make sense?  And I am not in a position to come across compliant options if I don't bring them from home. I've not found myself unsatisfied from my meals, just getting hungry faster in between.

If I'm still extra hungry after lunch today, I will try bringing some more food tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks!  :)

• Moderators

Where are you in your cycle? Many women, including yours truly, find they predictably need more food the week leading up to their period--especially starchy veg. 

Regardless of the reason, though, by day 22 you can trust your hunger signals, so go ahead and eat to satisfaction. This is one of the great rewards of Whole30!

Yeah, impending period was my first thought.  I *shouldn't* be close, but I have experienced a little wonkiness since beginning the whole30 so I suppose it is possible.

I'm concerned about bringing enough food for a third meal during the day (before dinner) and eating it whether I really want it or not.  I used to be a pretty mindless snacker and I feel like I've gotten a good handle on it now and I don't want to go backwards.

Like I said above, if i'm still struggling making it through the afternoon today, i'll bring an extra meal tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Whole 30 can definitely shake up your cycle at first, but it will likely be more regular than ever with time.

If it's a head game you're worried about, you could simply pack larger than average regular meals, eat to satisfaction, and hang on to the leftovers if there are any for if you need them. Not sure if that changes things for you, but if you genuinely fill yourself with the good stuff, you'll be less likely to snack on anything. That's been my experience, anyway, and I'm definitely a recovering binge/mindless eater. Nothing has helped more than Whole 30 with that.

Yes! I agree with LadyM. I had something similar happen to me on my whole 30 ie. hunger spike on Day 18 +19...the week before my period. It really caught me off guard because I had become accustomed to an intuitive rhythm to my eating on whole 30. Suddenly, I was really hungry - almost on the verge of an energy crash. I upped my protein a wee bit and added a bit more sweet potato to my meals. After 3 days, my appetite was back to "normal"

At this point I'm only 8 days or so out from my last period ending.  But that one was both earlier and longer than "normal", so I suppose things could still be regulating some.

I guess if i'm hungry, i'll just eat more.  :)

• Moderators

One last thought, you might experiment with eating more volume of veggies and skip the fruit in the morning, or altogether. Sometimes fruit can make you hungrier, as contrary as that sounds. Try upping your veggie portion to three cups, the upper end of the template, for a few days and see if it helps.

One last thought, you might experiment with eating more volume of veggies and skip the fruit in the morning, or altogether. Sometimes fruit can make you hungrier, as contrary as that sounds. Try upping your veggie portion to three cups, the upper end of the template, for a few days and see if it helps.

I can see that, and if I can't get this figured out I might tweak my fruit intake--but I haven't increased it over the course of the month, would it be affecting my hunger suddenly now? 

I hope you get it figured out... DST screwed me up too. 

I'm curious... what is kalua pig? At first I thought you typed kahlua and thought mmm...white russian... 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

This.  Make this.  It is DELICIOUS and versatile and I've made one every week and I could eat it for dayssssss.  :-D

My pleasure.  Definitely hunt down the alaea salt.  It's available on amazon and I got mine locally at World Market.  It does make a difference. 

Also, time is your friend on that one--I cooked one for just 12 hours and it was NOT the same as my couple that went 16-18 hours.  I eat it for breakfast, by itself, fry it up in ghee for carnitas....it's my favorite discovery so far.  :)

I can see that, and if I can't get this figured out I might tweak my fruit intake--but I haven't increased it over the course of the month, would it be affecting my hunger suddenly now? 

As your hormones start to balance out you might start having to tweak things. I also find that if I eat fruit in my first meal I'm hungrier all day. But I've also found the longer I'm on this journey the less fruit I crave over all so that has naturally worked itself out. I'm wondering if that one 2 meals/mini meal day on day 22 really threw your body and it is just taking some time to bounce back. You've been telling your body consistently that it can count on 3 solid meals a day for over 20 days now and then you had a day a little closer to a graze day and it may have gone "wait a minute...where is my food...eat all the things!" I speak from experience. ;) Just keep trusting your body, feed it well, and stay the course. :D

Archived