First Whole 30 - Starting Monday, March 16

nicoledawn913

• Administrators

I was great thru day five and then yesterday, I crashed. I had no appetite and had stomach pains. I fell down once....low blood sugar? So I ate some extra fruit. Never had dinner last night. I feel good again today. I think I'm going to add a third fruit serving to each day. I know my blood sugar can get low so I'll try to prevent that.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, that sounds scary. Can you please post a few days worth of typical food including portions, exercise, fluids, sleep and stress? Basically while adding extra fruit sounds like a reasonable idea, it's not because fruit, especially eaten alone, will actually keep your blood sugar spiking and make it difficult for your body to balance out.

We recommend 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies (at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie) and 1-2 thumbs of fat. If you are consistently following the meal template (linked in my signature below), your body will convert from sugar burner to fat adapted and will ultimately eliminate any fluctuations in blood sugar that causes things like falling down/crashing.

Post your foods and let's see if we can spot any tweaks that will help you to feel better! :)

Breakfast the day before was a homemade sausage pattie, sweet potato and spinach with some melon. Lunch was a big spinach salad with veggies, pecans, and a homemade salad dressing. Dinner was chocolate chili with carrots, parsnips, and bok choy. I had a banana with coconut when i got home from work. All days have been similar to that. Usually I have a fr

Meant to say usually I have a fruit with dinner....not later.

Today I had egg with pumpkin and coconut milk and pecans. Oh, and melon and strawberries. Lunch was lots of veggies. Dinner was mango lime chicken with potatoes. I was like on meat today....stomach wasn't quite up for it but I feel good now. Tomorrow should be normal.

I started my first Whole 30 on March 16 too. I just stumbled upon this forum and decided to join in. I feel pretty good at this point, one week in. The only part I'm struggling with is the meat consumption. For the past four and a half years I've been mainly following a vegetarian diet and would eat fish approximately once per week (I have a sushi habit). I haven't had chicken more than a handful of times over this time period, a bit of turkey on thanksgiving day(s), and no pork or beef whatsoever. The "It Starts with Food" book convinced me to give the Whole 30, as written, a try since it's such a short period of time, but I am struggling. Are there any of you out there who don't love meat that have some great recipes to make it taste good? Thanks! I know that's a pretty odd inquiry on a paleo forum. I plan on sticking with the plan. I'm hoping meat is like beets. It took me many times of trying them before I liked them.

• Administrators

I started my first Whole 30 on March 16 too. I just stumbled upon this forum and decided to join in. I feel pretty good at this point, one week in. The only part I'm struggling with is the meat consumption. For the past four and a half years I've been mainly following a vegetarian diet and would eat fish approximately once per week (I have a sushi habit). I haven't had chicken more than a handful of times over this time period, a bit of turkey on thanksgiving day(s), and no pork or beef whatsoever. The "It Starts with Food" book convinced me to give the Whole 30, as written, a try since it's such a short period of time, but I am struggling. Are there any of you out there who don't love meat that have some great recipes to make it taste good? Thanks! I know that's a pretty odd inquiry on a paleo forum. I plan on sticking with the plan. I'm hoping meat is like beets. It took me many times of trying them before I liked them.

What is it you don't like? Texture? Flavour? Are you having a difficult time with digestion?

There are SO many sauces, seasonings and spice mixes that you can use, your protein dish would never taste the same twice.  I love my animal based protein but if someone told me I had to eat an unseasoned baked chicken breast or a piece of unseasoned pork chop I'd probably balk.

Check out the Well Fed series of cookbooks by Melissa Joulwan.  There are tonnes of recipes in there that could help if flavour and execution are an issue.

Thanks for your reply! My digestion is much slower since I began this whole 30, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I'm not hungry nearly as often as I was on a plant based diet. My main problem, I think is with flavor and texture. I need to experiment more with spice rubs and sauces. I'll look into the Well Fed books.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived