Frustrated and Confused

DTJ

I have stuck to this regimen to the letter -- I mean literally to the letter.  My diet on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best was about a 7 before starting Whole30; however, I did drink too much alcohol and when I did eat sugar, I would just have a bad day with it.

Today starts my 10th day on the program.  To date, the positives are that I sleep more soundly and I don't feel as congested in my sinuses as I usually do.  BUT...I don't feel better, my clothes don't fit me differently, I'm constipated and very irregular whereas that has never been a problem, and I don't feel like I have as much energy.  In short, not only do I not feel better; I actually feel worse overall.

Some have said this maybe not be the right thing for you.  Try something else.  That makes sense but I'm not ready to give up on it yet because it just doesn't make sense that I feel the way I do given what I've been eating and continuing my exercise regimen.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

David

We can give you more specific feedback if you give us a couple of days of what you have been eating with portions listed in relation to your palm/thumb size. Also include your water intake, sleep, activity, and stress. 

The short answer is this is a 30 day program and things often can get worse before they get better. In other words, relax and hang in there. There may or may not be things to tweek which giving us more information will reveal, but either way day 10 is a bit early to expect to feel amazing.

If you have not read the timeline this might help you. While it isn't gospel law for everyone, it is close to the average Whole30 participants experience.

I'm like you with respect to my pre-Whole30 diet, alcohol, sugar etc and am also about where you are (day 12). I'm not having the digestive issues, however, and am actually having a much EASIER time in the bathroom. I've also been drinking kombucha, however, and that may be contributing.  Is that something you've tried or would be willing to try? Good luck! 

Thanks for all those who replied.  I'll hang in and trust that the passage of time will make the logic of these days come to the surface.  I haven't tried kombucha but am a fan of kimchi so I will give that a whirl.

My diet is really boring as I'm doing this solo and by the time I get home at night, cooking just isn't on the A list.  Breakfast has been easy as it's 2 or 3 eggs scrambled or fried in clarified butter or coconut oil along with a few blueberries or a kiwi.  Lunch with a salad with lettuce, broccoli, and spinach along with salmon or tuna and vinegar and oil dressing.  Dinner is either bison, chicken, or ahi with various vegetables all Whole30 prepared.  If I error on anything, Iikely might have too much meat and on certain days, I've probably had a few extra nuts -- no peanuts.

Thanks again to all of you

• Moderators

Thanks for all those who replied.  I'll hang in and trust that the passage of time will make the logic of these days come to the surface.  I haven't tried kombucha but am a fan of kimchi so I will give that a whirl.

My diet is really boring as I'm doing this solo and by the time I get home at night, cooking just isn't on the A list.  Breakfast has been easy as it's 2 or 3 eggs scrambled or fried in clarified butter or coconut oil along with a few blueberries or a kiwi.  Lunch with a salad with lettuce, broccoli, and spinach along with salmon or tuna and vinegar and oil dressing.  Dinner is either bison, chicken, or ahi with various vegetables all Whole30 prepared.  If I error on anything, Iikely might have too much meat and on certain days, I've probably had a few extra nuts -- no peanuts.

Thanks again to all of you

Try to have vegetables at all your meals, even breakfast -- remember that without any grains, all your fiber is coming from vegetables now, so have plenty of them every day.  And be sure you're drinking enough water -- at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight -- so if you weigh 180 lbs, drink at least 90 oz of water each day.

I agree with Shannon.  Also, it doesn't look like you're eating enough overall--the appropriate portions will seem quite large to what you're used to at first.  Increase your veggie intake at each meal and make sure they're included in all meals. 

• Moderators

Salad compacts when eaten. If you realized how little food a big bowl of salad actually is once consumed, you would know you need more food. Also, you may be missing starchy veggies. Sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas, etc. will not only help with energy, they can help with digestive issues. And nuts are notoriously hard on digestion, so cutting all nuts may help with your bathroom problems. 

I would recommend making up a frittata with tons of veggies and some proteins that will last you for the week. That's what I did and it works great in the mornings. I typically add avocado or some olives in the morning for added fat. I am also doing this alone as my husband isn't that into it but he'll still eat the food but he doesn't prepare anything. You absolutely need to make sure you are eating enough or your body is going to hang on to everything it has for dear life.

Archived