Anxiety/Depression and whole30

So I did a whole 30 and really enjoyed it but I felt I needed to keep at it for longer before I started trying reintroduction. But I was going on holiday for a week and knew it would be extremely hard to keep to the program while away so I decided to just stop and restart when I came back.

Anyway since I stopped whole 30 and was eating normally I have felt extrmely anxious 24/7 and depressed, crying for no reason all that kind of stuff.

I am on antidepressants and am not 100% sure that the timing lines up, it may have been gradually building up before I stopped whole30.

So what I really want to know is it possible that going back to eating normal food has caused this relapse of anxious and depressed feelings? Or is it more likely that my medication is not working as well as it was before?

• Moderators

We hear reports of people reducing or stopping medication after they adopt Whole30-style eating, so it makes sense you might feel worse when you go back to off-plan foods. Your experience sounds rather dramatic. You might want to check in with your doctor and get back to Whole30-style eating. 

I dont think i have consumed any soy but i am not 100% on that, ill pay more attention from now on.

Well I am starting a new whole 30 so we shall see how that goes.

I am also going to see my doctor to ask about the possibility of the medication having stopped working.

It doesn't have to be soy to set you off.  For me, it's sugar and eggs that send me into a downward spiral.  I spent a whole day sobbing after taking 2 supplements that had egg whites in them - it sometimes doesn't take much...  That's the beauty of a Whole30 reintroduction - you get to see what really sets you off, and can decide if it's worth avoiding all together in the future.

Since you're on meds, it's likely worth talking to your doc about.  However, if he's like most, he may poo-poo the idea of foods causing that sort of upset.  Take what he says into consideration, and maybe try another Whole30 with a proper introduction to see what may possibly be setting you off.  

I second the idea that it doesn't have to be soy.  Sugar can really set me off.  Also, you may have been getting lots of b vitamins on all those meals of meat and fish and then no b vitamins if you ate junky-ish food on vacation.  Lack of b vitamins can really wreak havoc on the ole brain chemistry.

I concur with what everyone has said. For me it's gluten. Makes me irritable, short tempered, and anxious. I hope you figure it out and get it straightened around - being depressed and anxious is awful and I hope you find your way out soon.

Thanks for the advice guys! I fell a bit more calm knowing others have had similar experiences! I am starting a fresh whole 30 today and will complete a proper reintroduction phase to see if I can figure out what exactly is causing this :)

I am bipolar, depression dominant and have had to go off of "low carb" diets before for exactly the reason you state.  A little research revealed that a number of psychiatrists have concerns about low carb eating affecting serotonin and/or the action of anti-depressants, so I would def. check with your dr. about this.  However, more research on Whole 30 made me realize this is not exactly a no carb diet.  I was feeling pretty depressed and anxious at day 3 (yesterday) and after looking back at the diet, added some sweet potatoes (1/2) this morning (and now even white potatoes are ok), plus a little more fruit early in the day and I am feeling better.   Also, eating MORE throughout the day to make sure my blood sugar is not getting low at all is helpful.  However, my mental health comes first, so I am prepared, if I have to- to go off whole 30 and add maybe brown rice in small amounts if the moods really become an issue. Good luck,  my motto is "don't do anything too extreme" when you are dealing with mental illness.

• Administrators

I am bipolar, depression dominant and have had to go off of "low carb" diets before for exactly the reason you state.  A little research revealed that a number of psychiatrists have concerns about low carb eating affecting serotonin and/or the action of anti-depressants, so I would def. check with your dr. about this.  However, more research on Whole 30 made me realize this is not exactly a no carb diet.  I was feeling pretty depressed and anxious at day 3 (yesterday) and after looking back at the diet, added some sweet potatoes (1/2) this morning (and now even white potatoes are ok), plus a little more fruit early in the day and I am feeling better.   Also, eating MORE throughout the day to make sure my blood sugar is not getting low at all is helpful.  However, my mental health comes first, so I am prepared, if I have to- to go off whole 30 and add maybe brown rice in small amounts if the moods really become an issue. Good luck,  my motto is "don't do anything too extreme" when you are dealing with mental illness.

You are 110% right that Whole30 is neither a no-carb or a low-carb plan.  By all means, eat carbs.  Lots of them if you need to. If you can vary your sources and include sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, plantains, parsnips you should be able to avoid having to go off plan.  

This is a really interesting thread surrounding carbs and serotonin also: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9938-how-whole30-made-me-crazy-and-why/

There are some conditions that are not resolved with B or D vitamins...regardless of how many they take. Expert medical care trumps web MD.

Sidenote: I remember when individuals in my mother's generation tried the original Atkins low/no carb plan.  It made some of them testy with their teeth set on edge. They were eating blocks of hard cheddar cheese. :P   They didn't realize how testy they were until everyone around them started to hide or run the other direction.  Whole 30 is not zero carb.  YAY.

• Moderators

One other thing to consider, Post Whole30, if you choose to eat rice for whatever reason, you owe it to yourself to read up on brown rice vs. white rice. Brown is NOT better for you.

Ditto what Ultrarunner said about brown rice.

While eating whole, I have found that I MUST MUST MUST keep up my carb intake or I will get anxious and depressed. I can get into a thing were I'm just eating leafy greens or salad for a day or two and I will have to force feed msyelf a sweet pot or other carb veg. But I don't think brown rice will be helpful. The inflammatory properties of the rice hull will probaby negate any benefits of the carbs.

Also I have found an almost instantaneous plummet into depression from eating wheat. A couple years ago I was eating whole and then had pizza and that evening my brain was veering into fleeting, low-level suicidal ideation. It is more noticeable when you're going from eating whole to suddenly flooding your body with whatever is hurting you.

Some foods (like dairy) make me bloated, some make me itchy and tired (soy) but some foods immediately impact my mood in a more radical way. Sugar makes me depressed for sure even in smaller amounts. I can see this clearly when I go from whole to not-whole eating.

Yesterday I hear a doctor who wrote a book called Moody Bitches (her words, not mine) and she was citing a bunch of evidence that an anti-inflammatory diet can have a very big impact on depression and anxiety. I'm not sure about all of her theories but that is something I've definitely read and heard elsewhere. Emily DEans at Evolutionary Psychiatry writes a lot about diet and depression. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201501/diet-depression-and-the-microbiome

Here is something she wrote for Whole 9: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201501/diet-depression-and-the-microbiome.

Count me in as one who becomes anxious and depressed after eating sugar.  And look out if I'm driving!  Seriously, I off-roaded this past weekend with some chocolates and couldn't believe how angry and erratic I felt when I was behind the wheel.  I've always heard that sugar can affect mood and behavior, but didn't quite believe it until now.  (Probably because I didn't want to believe it...dessert was always my favorite part of dinner...:( )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first response when I read about depression and/or anxiety is to get your thyroid tested. To get the correct tests, check out Stop the Thyroid Madness.

I have a ways to go, but when I was diagnosed hypothyroid, and started the correct meds for me, my life began to change for the better.

Now I am adding in other methods like diet, magnesium, etc., but the thyroid meds were the start.

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

My boyfriend, while he hasn't formally followed Whole30, he's significantly cleaned up his diet over the last 3 months and begun a regular exercise program. Both of these together have reduced his anxiety to a point that he no longer requires medication. Food has a much bigger effect on you than you realize.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am on day 12 of my first whole 30. I have suffered from Anxiety/Panic Disorder for about 8 years. I am not sure what it is but the past few days I have been experiencing the "Creepy crawly" feeling as if I can feel my blood pumping through my veins kind of constantly which triggers an attack for me. I usually only feel this when I am having a panic attack. Does anyone think this may be the "burst of energy" people refer to and I am just not use to the feeling?

I would really appreciate you opinions.

• Administrators

Hello,

I am on day 12 of my first whole 30. I have suffered from Anxiety/Panic Disorder for about 8 years. I am not sure what it is but the past few days I have been experiencing the "Creepy crawly" feeling as if I can feel my blood pumping through my veins kind of constantly which triggers an attack for me. I usually only feel this when I am having a panic attack. Does anyone think this may be the "burst of energy" people refer to and I am just not use to the feeling?

I would really appreciate you opinions.

Uh....no.....I don't think so. The energy is a general feeling of wellness, not what you describe above. My first thought is to question what your intake of starchy veggies is like. Many, many folks who have history of panic, anxiety or depression need to make sure that they have a goodly amount of carb in their diet.

um I had a couple roasted potatoes with breakfast, but have not been eating much starchy food. In fact I didn't have potatoes the whole first week and felt fine.

In the beginning I did eat more zucchini though.

I have also been not sleeping well the past few days so I am wondering if that could have anything at all to do with it.

Zucchini isn't really a starchy veg - think more along the lines of parsnip. turnip, pumpkin, squash, plantains, sweet potato etc.

A lot of people report that eating their starchy veg with meal three helps them to sleep, and prevents the afternoon energy crash some get when they eat starch in the morning. Eating a fist sized portion of starchy veg per day will also help with those feelings of anxiety, and help improve your overall mood. You could also try a magnesium supplement to help with your sleep & make sure you are taking on enough water - aim for 1/2 ounce per pound of body fat...

Archived