How Long Does Gut Healing Take?

I've had GI issues most of my life, but have seen serious improvements with previous Whole30s.  However, off of the W30, my digestion got bad again.  I just finished a Whole60 and unfortunately saw very few improvements with my digestion.  This was the first Whole30(60) I've done that included white potatoes, and I have known issues with other nightshades (tomatoes and peppers).

I chose to do the reintro schedule (without reintroing gluten) and found that dairy and non-gluten grains cause problems for me.  I've decided to go back to W30ing and do some tweaking to figure out my digestion problems.  But how long does it take for your gut to heal?  I understand everyone is different and that every W30 is different, but at what point do I try the autoimmune protocol? or see a doctor?

A typical day for me looks like this...

M1

-[edit] 1 tsp. SFH fish oil

-3 eggs with salt fried in ghee

-white potato with salt and ghee

-three dill spears with mayo

-an orange

-green tea

M2

-ISWF salmon cakes

-turmeric and cumin cauliflower

-GT's kombucha (the low sugar ones)

M3

-tuna salad

-salad with olive oil and salt

-sauerkraut

-an apple

-[edit] 1 tsp. Natural Calm before bed (2 tsps. seems to be too much! :blink:)

Also, I go to CrossFit about three days per week and get ~8-9 hours of sleep per night. :wub:

• Moderators

You eat a lot of white food - eggs, potatoes, mayo, cauliflower, sauerkraut, apple. You do have some other colors represented, but you should consider trying to work in more green, purple, red, yellow, etc. When you go to CrossFit, you need a post-workout meal of lean protein and maybe a starchy veggie to replenish carbs. 

If you had good success with previous Whole30s that did not include white potatoes, you should eliminate white potatoes and see if you improve again. It sounds very much as if white potatoes are a problem for you. 

You could do a formal AIP Whole30, or just eliminate nightshades for 30 days and then do a rolling reintroduction to test which ones are definitely a problem and which you might be able to eat (if you want to). 

Gut healing should be substantial within 30 days of eliminating foods that cause trouble, although a very troubled system might take longer. 

I like the fact that you are eating fermented foods. That is a strong positive. You might want to make bone broth and drink a pot per week to help with gut healing. 

You eat a lot of white food - eggs, potatoes, mayo, cauliflower, sauerkraut, apple. You do have some other colors represented, but you should consider trying to work in more green, purple, red, yellow, etc. When you go to CrossFit, you need a post-workout meal of lean protein and maybe a starchy veggie to replenish carbs. 

If you had good success with previous Whole30s that did not include white potatoes, you should eliminate white potatoes and see if you improve again. It sounds very much as if white potatoes are a problem for you. 

You could do a formal AIP Whole30, or just eliminate nightshades for 30 days and then do a rolling reintroduction to test which ones are definitely a problem and which you might be able to eat (if you want to). 

Gut healing should be substantial within 30 days of eliminating foods that cause trouble, although a very troubled system might take longer. 

I like the fact that you are eating fermented foods. That is a strong positive. You might want to make bone broth and drink a pot per week to help with gut healing. 

Thanks, Tom!

That's interesting about the colors!  I've never really thought about food that way, but I see what you mean.

After CrossFit, I usually have a "mini meal" of the lean protein and starchy carb like you recommended, such as a bit of leftover steak and half a sweet potato, or an Rx Bar if I'm on the go.

Also, at the end of this W60, I made a batch of bone broth.  I'll be sure to add that in on a more consistent basis.

Archived