Compliant bacon

frogtox

I see lots of people here talk about incorporating Whole30 compliant bacon into their meals. I have looked at several different markets in town and can find no uncured, sugar-free bacon. I have checked at our health food stores and Meijer.  Does anyone know of a store or brand I can look for? I haven't been able to find sausage either. I would rather not order online.. I'd rather eat something else than pay $20 for a pound of bacon. Thanks!

Some Whole Foods have a Pederson's brand that is compliant, but read ingredient labels carefully, as I understand Pederson's makes different bacon varieties, and only one is compliant. 

For sausage, Wellshire makes some sausages that are compliant, also available at Whole Foods, but as always, read ingredient labels.

We have found ingredients can change, and also vary by region, which is why we underscore the importance of reading labels every.single.time before purchasing.

My Publix also carries a Maverick brand that is compliant - I think it might be related to Pederson's somehow, but I'm not 100%. They also carry noncompliant Maverick brand varieties, so as Chris said, make sure to read the label!

I haven't found compliant sausage (haven't looked at Whole Foods), but if you're after sausage patties, they're easy to make yourself. Tons of recipes out there for spice mixes that you can use with ground pork.

I've found Pedersons and Wellshire at my Whole Foods, and another brand at Luckys (which, judging by the font, seems to be owned by Wellshire). Both the Wellshire and the Wellshire-ish brand without sugar make loud paleo claims on the packaging, which was how I initially noticed them.

Read the labels though, you never know how they're trying to trick you.

-Jessica

There is no compliant bacon at any of the stores near me, and not even at the Whole Foods an hour away, so I just gave it up for the 30 days. Many Aidell's sausages are compliant, you just have to check the labels.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't easily find compliant bacon in my area, but I've had no problem finding compliant prosciutto (Trader Joe's brand, and Applegate Farms). I cook it in a pan the way you would bacon, and it comes out super thin and crispy. It's delicious crumbled on top of egg salad, or as a side to eggs. 

As lgt2013 said, Aidell's has some compliant sausage varieties (I've had the chicken apple).

Sprouts also carries the Pederson variety with no sugar too! It's $6.99 for a 10 ounce package, so I'll use it sparingly. When I lived in CA I would buy Prather Ranch's sugar free bacon at the Farmer's Market, which was closer to $10 a pack. I think the Pederson's tastes just right and not like there is anything missing flavor wise. Costco sells Kirkland Reduced Sodium bacon that has no sugar and is very reasonable, but isn't nitrate or chemical free.

• 1 month later...

I went to my local farmer's market today and found a vendor who makes their sausage with just pork and spices - no fillers or additives!  Who knew?  I bought some hot italian sausage with which I made some Whole30 Scotch Eggs... looking forward to breakfast tomorrow!  Yum

Archived