1st day of Whole30

jeterrachel

Today my husband and I are starting Whole30. It's a no looking back, life or death ( ok, maybe a little dramatic) kind of situation. We both need to lose some major poundage, regain control of our lives, kick our sugar/processed/fast food diet to the curb and start LIVING life. Truthfully? I'm scared to death. Scared of it being "too hard", scared of failing, scared I won't see results and the list goes on. I'm praying God brings us thru this and that we will someday challenge and encourage others with our story.

Here we go!

• Administrators

It might help to remember that all the foods that got you to where you are now are engineered by food scientists to be addictive, crave-able, over-consumable.  They design these food-like-products with their own bottom line in mind.  With absolutely no consideration for the people that are going to consume them and what could/will happen.

The things that are going to get you out from under the control of these mega-corporations is veggies, proteins and fats.  It is that simple.  

It won't be too hard.  It will be hard.  Write a list of why you want to do this.  Make a list of all the symptoms you want to clear up (even the little ones like consistently runny nose or snoring or seasonal allergies or patchy spots of skin or whatever).  Consciously attribute those symptoms to frankenfoods and make a pact with yourself that you and your body are going to set out to heal.  Remember that those food-products are messing with your internal dialogue, your mental sharpness, your emotions. 

You may experience the full pull of kicking an addiction in the first couple weeks. Know that by staying true to the Whole30 you are making yourself stronger and the food-manufacturers weaker.  YOU are worth your word. You can do it.  We're here for you; this community is amazing and so supportive and we believe in you!

Attach a calendar to your fridge and put a big red X for every day you successfully conquer another day and invested in yourselves by doing your whole 30. Plus, it'll give you a visual reminder *every* time you open/pass/go to the fridge of your progress and your journey. Good luck! :)

The way I look it is being ill is harder, not being there in full spirit due to illness is hard, loosing a loved one due to illness is hard. This in my mind has helped me soldier through. It is a challenge, a choice, a positive choice to rid the body of those over processed over addictive foods we have all eaten. No matter what, even if you did not loose one single ounce, the point is that you will feel better from the inside. You will actually feel a fire in your belly, a drive, a motivation that you might have once had as a 7 year old!! It's that good!

Patience and time with a positive outlook will see you plough through your whole 30.

Don't be scared, there's loads of help here. The best of luck.

Well... I have done a few W30's (6 I think) and I will have to say that scared can be good for commitment and seriousness.  However, scared can be a short downhill slide to excuse.  My advice is Keep It Simple!  Plan a protein, lots of veg and compliant starches.  Eat this simple recipe for success.  Of course, you can add lots of complex meals and "growth experiences" but I really suggest to keep it simple.  I follow W30 almost all the time now and it does become easier.  It does become "old hat" but you do have to get over the hump of the first 1.5 -3 weeks and start to see the real, tangible benefits of this way of living.  Most people in groups that drop out of the program do so at the end of week 2 or the start of week 3.  Sometimes it is food boredom, sometimes it is "always doing dishes" and sometimes it is feeling trapped having to cook/prepare every meal, every day.  All of these can be dealt with by knowing your personality, working as a team and using that "scared" commitment to get you through the first 30 days and beyond.  You have a big benefit that I did not have.  If my wife and I did W30 together, it would have been a big help.  She was sympathetic... but did not eat on the W30 plan.  I often make W30 for me and W30 + fries, garlic bread or pasta/rice for my wife and kids.  Working together can be a big strength.  Use this to your advantage.  Good luck and enjoy the ride!!!

Cheers

DJ

Archived