Eating too much?

lcs75

"Now that you have the basic plan, you need to know how to implement it. It’s simple, actually. Start now. Today. This minute. Count out thirty days on your calendar. Plan out a week’s worth of meals, using the Resources we’ve given you here. Take our Shopping Guide to your local health food store, farmer’s market or grocer and stock up on things you’ll be eating. And then… go. Cold turkey. Just start, using our MealSimple™ template to take all the guesswork out of meal planning. But don’t put this off, not for one more day. If you give yourself excuses or reasons to delay, you may never begin. Do it now.

Your only job for the next 30 days is to focus on making good food choices. You don’t need to weigh or measure, you don’t need to count calories, you don’t need to stress about organic, grass-fed, pastured or free range. Just figure out how to stick to the Whole30 in any setting, around every special circumstance, under any amount of stress… for the next 30 days. Your only job? Eat. Good. Food."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2011/10/whole-30-v5/#sthash.ZseOsnMe.dpuf

http://whole30.com/2011/10/whole-30-v5/

This link above is how Whole 30 was - kickin' it old school style.  I post this link because there are newbies who are giving themselves several weeks to ease into the rules.  They risk falling away when the real Whole 30 begins.  The best way is this way....go Cold Turkey.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your info and replies! This is really great and I know that I am on the right path :)

Could you still please have a look at the pics I am sending, this shows some of the meals I am eating. Please give me some feedback, if I am on the right track.

Happy Easter :)

post-64644-0-87625700-1428010732_thumb.p

post-64644-0-79797900-1428010735_thumb.p

post-64644-0-02825200-1428010739_thumb.p

post-64644-0-90828200-1428010741_thumb.p

post-64644-0-15539000-1428010745_thumb.p

post-64644-0-86165900-1428010747_thumb.p

post-64644-0-63223700-1428010750_thumb.p

post-64644-0-25182800-1428010753_thumb.p

post-64644-0-98165300-1428010755_thumb.p

post-64644-0-88173800-1428010758_thumb.p

post-64644-0-01953000-1428010762_thumb.p

post-64644-0-98049700-1428010764_thumb.p

Yes MeadowLily, I keep a food diary on TwoGrand, Leila75.

I am really trying to work through my issues with the program, as I get all confused when I am not sure and then I quit and start and quit and start...

I have 4 days now where I can spend thought and energy on program and preparation so I am really greatful for the help I am getting!

Yep.

In short I'd say limit fruit as much as possible, avoid nuts, stick to the templates, and embrace the fat.

You have to change your mindset from the whole calorie control thing - that is NOT what this is about.

Why is it always recommended to give up nuts for weight loss? Avacado is a fat also and a quater of one is 80 cals as opposed to 10 nuts which are 69 calories. What is it about nuts???

It's not the fault of the nut, the avocado or the fruit.  All three of these items are compliant foods.  It's the choosing of convenience over actually preparing a meal where many a Whole 30 goes off the rails.  It's the choosing to grab handfuls of nuts, dried fruit & nut bars over sitting down and actually eating a meal of proteins, vegetables and fats.   There is the natural tendency to find substitutes for foods we were addicted to or foods that triggered thrill eating.  These substitutes tend to be wrapped in neat packages. Nuts and fruits are portable packages, too.  GrabNGo.   

We are not to track calories, points, carbs, macros, micros or weigh/measure out foods.  This also means not counting out dates, nuts, dried fruits or sections of the avocado.  That's a throwback to dietville.   The beauty of this program....all of the science, the ciphering and figuring have already been done for you.  If you follow the W30 Template, your body will tell you intuitively the correct amounts of whole foods that it wants.   

If you continue to count calories and worry about counting out dates and nuts....you won't be any closer to unlocking the mysteries of why that type of food control continues to elude dieters of their success.

The treasure map has been drawn out,  you only need follow the yellow brick road.  Apply the golden nuggets of truth for your Food Reset.  The best part is the Head Reset that comes along with it.   When we give our body a chance to heal, the head begins to fully engage and get on-board, too.   

It seems like it is suggested to avoid nuts so often. I put 10 almonds or so in a salad for lunch and sometimes have about the ae amount with my dinner. If they are the fat, why are they so bad for weight loss? They only have 69 calories for 10. Avacado is 80 cal for one quarter.

It's not the calorific content of the nuts (which you shouldn't be counting anyway...), more the fact that they are very hard on the digestive tract & can cause inflammation & can prevent the body from absorbing essential nutrients. This can cause bloating & can ultimately lead to weight retention.

Hello,

can someone please have a look at my meals and let me know if I eat too much/too little/or just right? Would really appreciate that!

Thank you :)

Thanks for all your info and replies! This is really great and I know that I am on the right path :)

Could you still please have a look at the pics I am sending, this shows some of the meals I am eating. Please give me some feedback, if I am on the right track.

@MeadowLily: thanks for reply. I do have a rough idea about what kind of portions I eat, but that is more to help me lay out my meal. I know now that if I eat a piece of meat, 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, potatoes, mushrooms, capsicum and onions for brekkie that I can easily get through the morning until lunch time. I also keep an eye on portion sizes as I would probably finish eating after less than half my plate is empty. I take a lot of time to finish my meals, they fill me up and I keep eating so I don't get hungry / cravings inbetween. That is pretty much why I ask about my meal sizes, as I would not feel like eating as much.

I reduced the nuts, as I had pretty bad gastro issues when I started and someone suggested it may be the nuts - I could and would eat nuts all day :) I love nuts, unroasted, unsalted, just fresh nuts.

Hello,

can someone please have a look at my meals and let me know if I eat too much/too little/or just right? Would really appreciate that!

Thank you :)

Ok, I'm by no means an expert, but in comparison to how I'm eating (and numbering your photos 1-11 from left to right) I'd say all of your meals with the exception of meal 9 are low on veg. the salad leaves in meal 7 *look* like they're a lot, but they're not very filling and if they were chopped down a bit they would not amount to very much.

Some of the meals (1 & 8 in particular) look on the high side protein-wise in relation to the rest of the meal, and there doesn't appear to be a fat source in meals 3 or 4... Meal 9 looks more like it should be (IMHO)

The way I work it is I fill a third of my dinner plate with protein, fill the remainder with chosen mix of veg, & then add the fat source on top of that.

Meal 6 looks yum!

Hope this helps  :)

If you'll cruise the backroads of the forum, read accounts of members with W30 restarts, you'll find that nuts, nut butters, dried fruits were the main attractions almost every day. They were used as inbetween meal snacks or at the beginning/end of almost every meal.  Some used them for their meals....especially at breakfast.

Some were troubled with skin outbreaks, stomach upsets but others were kicking themselves at the end because results were less than the stellar amounts of weight loss they were hoping for.   We can all learn from their Whole 30's and not follow in their tracks.  

Forget the calories in an avocado.  You can eat 3 avocados in one day and it would be preferred over kicking real proteins to the curb in favor of nuts and dried fruits.   Proteins, Vegetables and Fats are the trifecta of a successful Whole 30.  The top three finishers...the BIG WINS.  

Nuts are not to be used as the main source of good dietary fats.  Dried fruits are to be primarily used for cooking purposes.  

Proteins, vegetables and fats are the main attractions and should be eaten first.  Fruits are to be eaten after the meal to avoid the natural sugar bump.  Some are living on fruits, nuts, nut butters smeared on fruits...especially at breakfast.    

Tom Denham | Whole9 Envoy says

25 October, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Eat when you are hungry. Trust me, you don’t have to restrict calories to lose or maintain weight. Eat the right stuff and your body will find its natural, healthy weight without you having to suffer to get there.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2011/10/whole-30-v5/#sthash.223uj7K4.dpuf

Protein should be the first thought from the Trifecta list rather than choosing fruits and nuts.  Choosing protein and fats will smother the sugar cravings.

Tom Denham - Whole9 EE says

16 November, 2011 at 6:48 am

My portable protein of choice lately is canned sardines, specifically the Bela brand of lightly smoked fish. I buy them by the case and eat them as part of my post-work out meal on CrossFit days and as a snack on days when I don’t have something prepared. I bought lots of different brands of sardines at first. I hated some and liked some, but Bela was the only brand I loved. I used to buy tuna in a pouch, and pop top cans of tuna or chicken for post-work out meals, but my love affair with sardines is exclusive now.

Tom Denham - Whole9 EE says

27 December, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I did my first Whole30 in 2010 as a fit, athletic.. My weight had plateaued after two years of Crossfitting and nothing I did seemed to matter. Then I started eating the Whole30 way and lost 2 pounds per month for almost 15 months. All my life I thought the secret was exercising more, but apparently it starts with food.

These are the nuggets of truth I've searched for instead of counting crows or calories.  There are 1000's more.  Avoid measuring avocado slices, counting out 10 nuts and 2 dates for a Whole 30.  It would be better to eat 3 avocados in one day rather than living on fruits and nuts for balanced blood sugar and unbearable sugar cravings.

A door has been opened for you to walk through.  Your body is a better gauge of tracking than all of the apps in the world. Lay down the calorie/carb trackers and follow the Trifecta.   Proteins, Vegetables and Fats.

I am really struggling too!! i dont know if i am eating too much or what? I am not losing inches and am sure i havent lost weight but will find out on April 12.

I have been snacking between meals and have a real problem with standing and picking and eating.  I am struggling and really frustrated. Also my fingers are totally swollen day after day.

Can someone help me out here?

Amanda

@Amanda, I have that too. But it seems to go up and down, one day my ring nearly falls off the finger, then next day my finger balloons around it...

I have just re-read the program rules and obviously have brain fog - are white potatoes really out? I thought they were ok? I can cut them out completely but for some reason I thought they are ok. Did they used to be ok? Is there a version of Whole 30 where they were ok? I have the book as an audio version, so I cannot cross check straight away.

I am really struggling too!! i dont know if i am eating too much or what? I am not losing inches and am sure i havent lost weight but will find out on April 12.

I have been snacking between meals and have a real problem with standing and picking and eating.  I am struggling and really frustrated. Also my fingers are totally swollen day after day.

Can someone help me out here?

Amanda

It would help to get an idea of what you've been eating. Can you post a log of 2-3 days worth of meals, including portion sizes, water consumption, and any exercise?  (Maybe create a new thread here in the Troubleshooting section.)

Two things that immediately jump out to me is the snacking and standing while eating.

For best results, Whole30 recommends eating only while sitting, ideally at a kitchen or dining room table.  Also, the need to snack can be an indication that your earlier meals are not big enough. You want to create meals that fit the recommended meal template, and that satiate you for 4-5 hours. 

In addition, I wonder if you're adequately hydrated?  Aim to consume 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

I have just re-read the program rules and obviously have brain fog - are white potatoes really out? I thought they were ok? I can cut them out completely but for some reason I thought they are ok. Did they used to be ok? Is there a version of Whole 30 where they were ok? I have the book as an audio version, so I cannot cross check straight away.

White potatoes used to be out, but they're were made compliant in July of 2014. Details here

Here are some of my meals:

Here are some of my meals:

I had to scroll up to find them because they didn't copy and paste in your quote.  :)

Overall, your meals look fine. There were 1 or 2 that looked light on either protein or veggies, but overall, things look good. The key thing is, are your meals satiating you for 4-5 hours?

Hi GFChris, I have just read a post + link from you from 5 Feb re Whole30 eating disorder triggers - it made me cry. I am going on a break now, as I can find too many common issues in both articles :( all I ever wanted was a healthy relationship with food :(

Archived