broken mayo

frogtox

I made my first batch of mayonnaise weekend before last. I was so impressed.. it tasted great and the texture was perfect. Within about a week it began to separate. I stirred it well and used it to make tuna salad. When I went to eat it, the mayo seemed 'gone' and it was very oily.. it was awful to eat. :( 

Is there a way to prevent this? Less oil? Or is homemade mayo something you can only keep around for so long?

• Administrators

I've found that the temperature of your fridge can have something to do with it too.  By experimentation I had to find the place in my fridge that was just right.  Too cold and it would almost freeze and look grainy/separated/curdled.  

I wouldn't cut back the oil, since classic mayonnaise is 1 cup oil to 1 egg, and you need that oil for the emulsion, also, homemade mayo should last as long as the expiration date on the eggs--although mine never lasts that long! It could be like what ladyshanny said and it got too cold or nearly froze, because that will cause it to separate. The sweet spot in my fridge is on the middle shelf to one sidewall or the other. I have had some freeze before and it wasn't pretty! (it had gotten stuck on the top shelf, all the way in the back where the cold air comes in from the freezer.) maybe make a batch and split it up into different containers and place them around your fridge and see if you can find your sweet spot? 

• Administrators

I wouldn't cut back the oil, since classic mayonnaise is 1 cup oil to 1 egg, and you need that oil for the emulsion, also, homemade mayo should last as long as the expiration date on the eggs--although mine never lasts that long! It could be like what ladyshanny said and it got too cold or nearly froze, because that will cause it to separate. The sweet spot in my fridge is on the middle shelf to one sidewall or the other. I have had some freeze before and it wasn't pretty! (it had gotten stuck on the top shelf, all the way in the back where the cold air comes in from the freezer.) maybe make a batch and split it up into different containers and place them around your fridge and see if you can find your sweet spot? 

My sweet spot is middle shelf, very front against the fridge wall.  Anywhere else and the mayo has to fight for its life.  ;)

• Moderators

You may need to use some power to mix it again. I used too much oil when making mayo recently. I made salmon salad with it and then tried to fix it the next day by adding another egg and more apple cider vinegar. I shook it up until it was very well mixed, but it did not emulsify properly. I then used my immersion blender on it and it turned into perfect mayo. 

My sweet spot is middle shelf, very front against the fridge wall.  Anywhere else and the mayo has to fight for its life.   ;)

Thank you, Lady Shanny.   Now that I know there's some compliant ones,  I'll buy some.  With my skills, need to find the sweet spot or mayo fights for its' life...I'm buying some. 

Archived