Day 1 - weak/headachey

You're about a day early, but headaches are typical in the first days of a Whole30. View the timeline here. 

Everyone experiences the Whole30 differently.

Drink lots of water (at least 1/2 an ounce per pound of body weight daily), design your meals to fit the recommended meal template, and you should feel better soon.

• Administrators

Do you want to share what you've eaten today?

As Chris says, the headache is a common symptom but can sometimes be fully or partially alleviated with sufficient food, lots of fluids and possibly the addition of a serving or two of starchy veggies.

Hey everyone,

Made it through Day 1 and am feeling better today. Still a little bit of a headache, but nothing like yesterday. 

yesterday I ate:

breakfast: apple, coffee, and two eggs

snack: carrots

lunch: tuna salad over spinach 

dinner: curried cauliflower and citrus chicken 

Does that sounds about right? 

Hey everyone,

Made it through Day 1 and am feeling better today. Still a little bit of a headache, but nothing like yesterday. 

yesterday I ate:

breakfast: apple, coffee, and two eggs

snack: carrots

lunch: tuna salad over spinach 

dinner: curried cauliflower and citrus chicken 

Does that sounds about right? 

You will want to aim at composing your meals like this:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (for eggs, a serving is how many you can hold in your hand - for most people that's three or four)

2. 2-4 cups of veggies (do not let fruit push veggies off your plate)

3. 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat (nuts are a fat source on Whole30, not a protein source)

These are minimum amounts you should be eating. Do that three times a day, the first time within one hour of waking. Your goal is that each meal should satisfy you for 4-5 hours. While you are tweaking amounts to reach that goal, if you are genuinely hungry between meals eat a mini-meal featuring fat, protein, and veggies. We do not encourage snacking, but we do encourage actual eating.

As an example, here's how you could tweak your Day One meals:

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 2-4 cups of steamed spinach and diced tomatoes and onions (if you like those veggies), half an avocado. Coffee comes AFTER Meal 1 because caffeine is an appetite suppressant.

Meal 2: Tuna salad (check to make sure your tuna is compliant - soy sneaks in to most tuna, especially tuna packed in water) over 2-4 cups spinach, mixed with homemade paleo mayonnaise - Note: it would take a mixing bowl size of this meal to satisfy me for more than an hour, so in my particular case I'd add a starchy vegetable to this, say, those carrots you ate separately

Meal 3: curried cauliflower and citrus chicken - make sure your portions fit the template and that you have included a fat source, for instance coconut milk in the curry

You're off to a good start! Now eat up!

Get yourself some green tea. My life saver on first whole 30! I drank roughly 6 cups a day for the first week or so, along with water and other teas. You after a meal and you want something sweet? Have tea on your couch, feet up and enjoy every drop. The feeling of 'needing' that something sweet passes very quickly then. Tea is Key! :-) :-)

Archived