Bad Ghee????

Hey guys, 

I'm on day 28 of my Whole 30 and I've been feeling great up until i ate dinner last night. I ran out of ghee yesterday so i went to my local indian supermarket and bought some, see the attached pictures. The ghee I've been using up until now was very smooth with no separation or anything. For dinner I had carnitas pork with veggies sauteed in the new ghee, after dinner my stomach felt full and bloated, something I haven't felt in a while. This morning I feel a bit nauseous. I cooked my breakfast of eggs and sweet potato in the ghee again to sort of test it and see if its the culprit. Could this new ghee be bad or contain any dairy?

HELP!

Allison

post-63881-0-86057900-1426590222_thumb.j

post-63881-0-08751000-1426590226_thumb.j

• Moderators

The ghee that I make at home often looks kind of like that and it's perfectly fine. But I've also been told to never buy the prepared ghee at Indian grocers, that its quality and purity cannot be trusted. Best to make it yourself or buy grass-fed organic stuff.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I suggest you stop eating that ghee and see if you feel better. Then you'll have your answer!

• Moderators

That ghee looks pretty close to the excellent Pure Indian Foods ghee that I order online. I am not super concerned it is a problem. You may just be having a minor stomach bug. You might want to avoid it for a few days, but I would try it again after I felt better because it might not be the ghee. 

Thanks! Here is some additional info that might be helpful. I only had about a tablespoon of that ghee with the veggies and I only ate half of them as my husband ate the other half, so the actual amount of ghee consumed wasn't a whole lot. I did however have a second serving of pork and it was after that that I really started to feel full. I can also add that I don't have a gallbladder and sometimes when I consume too much fat it gives me an upset stomach.

Also, I don't feel any worse after my breakfast but I don't necessarily feel any better either. I'm assuming the culprit is either the ghee or the pork from last night.

I've thought about making my own ghee but I hate the idea of throwing away 1/4 of my money with the milk solids.

I've attached a picture of the ghee I've normally been buying....

post-63881-0-73521800-1426593492_thumb.j

I've thought about making my own ghee but I hate the idea of throwing away 1/4 of my money with the milk solids.

FWIW, I've found making my own clarified butter to be far less expensive than buying prepared ghee.

Archived