a pot of stew

nana

friend is making stew...said she is using beef, water,  potatoes, and a bag of mixed vegetables..at first i thought all is good and 

then i thought i bet the veggies have corn and peas.  am i allowed to pick around those two things and have everything else or is it too contaminated   oh also adding onion salt and onion powder which should be fine

my onion salt has salt,dehydrated onion and less than 2% silicon dioxide.  I'm really hoping this is ok because I've been using it at home. also what if her mixed vegs are added earlier than later?

• Moderators

Corn and peas in the stew, even if added late in the cooking process, means you should not be eating it during a Whole30. The Whole30 is not a time during which minimizing consumption of certain foods works. The Whole30 is a plan that requires full compliance with the elimination of certain foods. Even though you are exposed to a minimal amount of the problematic parts of grains and legumes from the way they seep out into the stew juices, you are being exposed. 

Corn and peas in the stew, even if added late in the cooking process, means you should not be eating it during a Whole30. The Whole30 is not a time during which minimizing consumption of certain foods works. The Whole30 is a plan that requires full compliance with the elimination of certain foods. Even though you are exposed to a minimal amount of the problematic parts of grains and legumes from the way they seep out into the stew juices, you are being exposed.

Aaaargh! Just read this, this means I have not done my Whole30 right (thought I was on day 24!) as a couple of times I have served up my portion then added something else (eg kidney beans to chilli, mini sweet corn to Thai curry), so far so good, but then I have used the leftovers and just taken out those bits when I heated them up. Arrrrggh!

Aaaargh! Just read this, this means I have not done my Whole30 right (thought I was on day 24!) as a couple of times I have served up my portion then added something else (eg kidney beans to chilli, mini sweet corn to Thai curry), so far so good, but then I have used the leftovers and just taken out those bits when I heated them up. Arrrrggh!

I don't think this is what Tom means. I don't see a reason why you can't make Whole30 compliant stew, take our your portions, and then add in corn/peas/etc for non-Whole30 people.

I think what he means is that it doesn't matter if you add the corn/peas last and then pick around them, since they're juices get out. As long as the portion you eat is before the non-compliant food touched it, then you're good.

My first portion has always been fine, but then I've added corn/beans to the whole pan for others, so any leftovers that I have then consumed will have had stuff picked out. Anyway. I will stop doing that from now on. Not going to restart as I think I would feel so fed up to get tripped up by a piece of sweet corn only included to appease wider family/children, that I might just end up sticking my head in a tray of doughnuts... And I don't even like doughnuts!

Archived