hemp milk

mimi36

• Moderators

Congrats on making it to day 4!

No to hemp milk. There are at least 2 problems with hemp milk. First is that hemp milk delivers 3 times as many omega 6 fatty acids as omega 3s, which skews your balance in the opposite direction of what you want. Second is that you probably can't find any that doesn't have off-plan ingredients like brown rice syrup or sugar added.

Everything hemp is promoted as healthy, but it's not. It's just less bad than some other choices.

• 1 year later...

I make my own fresh organic hemp seed milk every morning and was thinking about this with banana, avocado and cacao blended in as my AIP breakfast smoothie. Can you let me know if this is acceptable under W30? Tom I'm really curious about your post, I always understood that 3:1 ratio of Omegas was a good thing (baing my opinion on Udo Erasmus & Andrew Weils' work).

Much appreciated, thanks.

I make my own fresh organic hemp seed milk every morning and was thinking about this with banana, avocado and cacao blended in as my AIP breakfast smoothie. Can you let me know if this is acceptable under W30? 

This is really not a good idea. True, it might be all compliant ingredients, but the whole30 works best when you go beyond technical compliance to really following both the rules and the recommendations. The meal template is key. Try to make breakfast (and all meals after that) follow the template.

Here is the lowdown on smoothies and hemp, among other things)

• 1 month later...

Wanted to note - http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Says hemp seeds are okay, but if a no sugar added, no preservative hemp milk is found, or made - still no? 

Nobody said no.Oops, I see Tom said no, but he likes to be a little hyperbolic. As we were discussing in the above post, the official word on hemp is that is isn't a recommended food on the whole30. It is a permitted food, but not a recommended one. 

Archived