Bumpy Ride: Re-intro Week 1

evaq

It's been 10 days since I finished my whole 30 and I've spent the past week navigating the dodgy obstacle course of "real life" and "real world" eating. Not to say that I wasn't eating real, whole foods during the past month, I was. But I curbed my socializing drastically and the number of times I went out to eat was zilch. My first week post-whole 30 had two goals (or challenges) on deck.

1. my belated birthday lunch (Indian buffet) + cake

2. 7-day re-introduction of dairy (isolated + gradual reintro of milk > cream > cheese > ice cream > yogurt)

So it probably won't surprise anyone to learn that item #1 was a gong show. I went into it knowing that it had a pretty good chance of being a tough lesson, but I *really* wanted it to work. I had put off my b-day celebration for months even though and I had picked this particular restaurant ages ago. And while I generally don't enjoy buffets, I *heart* Indian food something fierce. The layers of subtle spices, the rich flavours, the way vegetables are magically transformed…it all *sings* to me. I had a modest scoop of 5 different dishes + 1 1/2 pieces of naan. Three of the dishes were veg or fruit based (cauliflower, spinach, mango cuke salad) and the other 2 were meat (chicken, beef). After lunch, my friend and I walked for about 30 minutes and then popped into a favourite bakery. We picked up my belated "birthday cake" which ended up being a mini 4" coconut cream pie and headed back to my place to have b-day pie + tea.

About 2-3 hours after lunch + dessert, I was in deep discomfort. Stomach ache, bloating, but also my brain/body felt wired. I was feeling terrible and over stimulated at the same time. Having dairy, gluten/grains, sugar all in one meal was far worse than I ever imagined it could feel. Even though it all tasted so damn delicious, it was obvious what my body thought of my choices.

Item #2, the slow phasing-in of dairy has been hit and miss. I had a latte on the morning of day 31 and felt like I had swallowed a balloon the rest of the afternoon. Bloated, gassy and deeply uncomfortable. Day 2, I decided to try another piece of the mini coconut cream pie. I know. Really? Maybe yesterday was just a case of too much too soon, I thought? Maybe just a few bites of pie would be ok? Nope, I felt sick as a dog after the small piece of coconut cream pie. It was still as delicious as ever, but ohmygodess I was a wreck after. Days 3 and 4 I drank my coffee with cream. No immediate or obvious effects. Day 5, I had a small piece of swiss cheese with my whole 30 lunch. No immediate or obvious effects. Days 6 and 7, coffee with cream and later in the day, 1/4 cup of icelandic yogurt (very similar to thick greek style yogurt). No immediate or obvious effects.

I keep coming back to what higs wrote to me in an earlier post. He said that for him, whole 30 wasn't about eliminating bad food choices, but rather about embracing the abundance of good. That resonates so powerfully to me and I kept coming back to it all week. Having successfully completed my whole 30 felt like I had paddled hard to finally reach a life raft. I was happy I had reached the raft. Gimme a medal and a pony! But this week felt like I was back to paddling around in murky waters, trying to find/maintain my body's happy place.

If dairy isn't my friend, why am I working so hard at chasing down *every* option. I'm not sure. Part of me wants to know all my options - to be as aware and mindful as possible. So that if I do ever choose to have another piece of coconut cream pie in the future (Unlikely, sob!), I'll be fully aware of what consequences my choice carry. But another part of me just thinks, "For heaven's sake woman, how much couples counselling and therapy do you need with dairy?! Let it go."

So yeah, I think I need training wheels on my bike still and I uh may have ridden straight into the curb this week. But I am hanging on fiercely to "embracing the good" for my body and in my life.

Next up, re-intro week 2: peanut butter + grains.

I'm planning the same kind of slow reintro as well next week. I'm starting with soy (no other legumes that day), but when I get around to dairy, I'll just do feta and blue cheese. I already know that milk and cream are not my friends so I don't need to do any reintro with them, but I really miss the flavor and texture of crumbly full-flavored cheese. Your belated birthday lunch is how I did reintros after my first two whole30's -- everything at once, so how could I not feel terrible!

• Moderators

This may have absolutely nothing to do with you and your relationship with dairy, but for me, I keep it out of my life except the rare occasion when I deem it worth it. That meant real salted Kerrygold butter yesterday on my gluten-free Irish soda bread. (I'm not on a W30 currently) It will mean an ice cream when my fave local shop opens its doors again this spring and then again on the boardwalk when I'm on holiday come August. My body can handle small amounts on very rare special occasions. But a regular latte habit or cream in my coffee everyday? Nope. Cheese in my salad every day? Nope. It's a relief, really, just to cut that from my daily habits.

Also, FWIW, I eat Indian food several times a week and I make it myself. It's a staple for me during my W30s, too. I'd be happy to share my fave cookbooks if you're interested.

This may have absolutely nothing to do with you and your relationship with dairy, but for me, I keep it out of my life except the rare occasion when I deem it worth it. That meant real salted Kerrygold butter yesterday on my gluten-free Irish soda bread. (I'm not on a W30 currently) It will mean an ice cream when my fave local shop opens its doors again this spring and then again on the boardwalk when I'm on holiday come August. My body can handle small amounts on very rare special occasions. But a regular latte habit or cream in my coffee everyday? Nope. Cheese in my salad every day? Nope. It's a relief, really, just to cut that from my daily habits.

This pretty much mirrors my relationship with dairy. It isn't something that's part of my every day life, I just don't miss it enough. I tolerate it well on occasion. So I might have an occasional cappuccino or milky tea, but generally I drink americanos and herbal teas. I continue to clarify my butter and use ghee day to day but I might make an exception for a delicious piece of (gluten free rice free) chocolate cake that a friend has made. I don't include cheese in my meals but if a café throws some feta in my salad I'm okay. I'd never cook with cream at home but I might choose a cream sauce off a dinner menu if I fancy it. I don't even eat out once a month so these are rare occasions.

When I really fall off the dairy wagon (hello holiday and Christmas) I certainly know about it - digestive issues abound and general ick. And I find it very easy to cut back out.

Sugar is a whole different battle :D

Also, FWIW, I eat Indian food several times a week and I make it myself. It's a staple for me during my W30s, too. I'd be happy to share my fave cookbooks if you're interested.

I'm generally not a huge dairy consumer. It's more of a casual acquaintance in my fridge but when I do have it, it tends to be for special moments (very much like you described). It's not like I do a maypole dance around a carton of ice cream, but knowing that those special moments have to be much more carefully monitored makes me just a bit sad.

And YES PLEASE!!! I'd love it if you'd share your fave Indian cookbooks. I'm an avid cookbook reader and collector. Thanks LadyM! :)

• Administrators

I'm generally not a huge dairy consumer. It's more of a casual acquaintance in my fridge but when I do have it, it tends to be for special moments (very much like you described). It's not like I do a maypole dance around a carton of ice cream, but knowing that those special moments have to be much more carefully monitored makes me just a bit sad.

And YES PLEASE!!! I'd love it if you'd share your fave Indian cookbooks. I'm an avid cookbook reader and collector. Thanks LadyM! :)

+1 for the cookbook rec!

lgt2013, LadyM, ladys, Hannlib: Y'all are so much more dairy aware and dialed into your bodies. Going forward, I will definitely be treating dairy as an occasional, special guest in my life. :) Thanks for the feedback and support!

• Moderators

Thrilled that y'all are interested in doing Indian yourself. Here are my top picks:

Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing, by Usha and Dr. Vasant Lad -- my number one go-to, worth it for the vegetable subjis alone

The Ayurvedic Cookbook, by Amadea Morningstar

Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking--a classic

and hybrid/inspired-by/not as "authentic" The Curry Book, by Nancie McDermott

I've worked with several Ayurveds over the years and have used what I've learned about my Dosha and reactions to foods and brought it to Whole30 for good success. Ayurveda is much more nuanced about inflammatory foods and why they are such for particular bodies. You can drive yourself nuts going too far with it, but it's been very useful for me.

I've been craving Indian food, too - and went back to find Indian day from Deb's "ingredient of the day" posts, which are awesome if you haven't seen them yet:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/22006-30-more-ingredient-of-day-links-for-each-day-of-the-whole-30-part-2/?p=232408

I've made the rogan josh (delish!) but tonight I'm really craving some curried cauliflower.

Wow, delish indeed! Thanks so much for including the links higs. Several of the recipes look great. Next time you make rogan josh, I'll bring the curried cauliflower. Curry + cauliflower = magic. :)

ps. Also, I can't wait to try some of the recipes from the books that LadyM recommended.

higs that looks ridiculously tasty (and so easy)! I want to take a bath in that sauce - wait, that sounds like a food without brakes reaction. ;) What I mean is, it looks deeelicious. It's going on the TBM (to be made) list. As long as I can find some ground lamb this weekend it'll be on deck for next week.

Archived