Cashew pork--calling the mad scientists

Munkers

I picked up a salad for my lunch today and noticed an advertisement from one of the restuarant chains near my work. They're advertising a cashew pork sandwich and as I stared at the picture I thought that the combination sounded absolutely bizarre and I want it in my mouth.

Here are the ingredients: cashew butter, smoked pork, pickled red onion, pepper jelly

I've decided that I need this in my life, but I'm not sure how to best pull it off. I'm willing to forsake the smoked pork for crockpot pork loin, cashew butter is readily available, and I can make pickled onions at home sans sugar. But what about the pepper jelly? Some kind of riff on NomNomPaleo's sriracha sauce with bell pepper and a date?

And how to marry everything together? Toss in a bowl with dollops of cashew butter? Try to turn it into a roulade with everything tucked inside the pork? Other ideas?

I picked up a salad for my lunch today and noticed an advertisement from one of the restuarant chains near my work. They're advertising a cashew pork sandwich and as I stared at the picture I thought that the combination sounded absolutely bizarre and I want it in my mouth.

Here are the ingredients: cashew butter, smoked pork, pickled red onion, pepper jelly

I've decided that I need this in my life, but I'm not sure how to best pull it off. I'm willing to forsake the smoked pork for crockpot pork loin, cashew butter is readily available, and I can make pickled onions at home sans sugar. But what about the pepper jelly? Some kind of riff on NomNomPaleo's sriracha sauce with bell pepper and a date?

And how to marry everything together? Toss in a bowl with dollops of cashew butter? Try to turn it into a roulade with everything tucked inside the pork? Other ideas?

LOL. "...bizarre and I want it in my mouth. I've had that same reaction many a time.

The pepper jelly provides sweetness with a touch of heat. How about some diced pineapple or mango with lime + jalapeno? Kind of like a fresh fruit salsa used as a condiment?

I would probably even use a pork shoulder instead of a loin and pull it when it's done, mix in the cashew butter and jelly, and then top with the pickled onions.

you've got me on how to fabricate the pepper jelly, though.  I've never tried anything like that.

Kinda like rack of  lamb with mint jelly.  I like jalapeno jelly.   You could use that faux jello that folks make/eat -  made with gelatin/hot sauce/splash of some fruit juice..but I'd probably just wait until 30 days were over.  

I've no idea what a pepper jelly is but I second the pork shoulder option. Last time I was at a farmers/craft market there was a guy selling home-made relishes, sauces & conserves. I asked him what he had for pulled pork & he gave me a jar of curried apple chutney to try - that *really* worked, and it would certainly work with the cashew butter, and if I had a recipe I imagine it would be less 'processed'.....  B)

LOL. "...bizarre and I want it in my mouth. I've had that same reaction many a time.

The pepper jelly provides sweetness with a touch of heat. How about some diced pineapple or mango with lime + jalapeno? Kind of like a fresh fruit salsa used as a condiment?

Ha! I'm not the only weird one!

I'm intrigued by the fruit salsa idea. Kind of like a cashew pork burrito bowl which also goes along with EmilyK's idea of mixing in the cashew butter.

Kinda like rack of  lamb with mint jelly.  I like jalapeno jelly.   You could use that faux jello that folks make/eat -  made with gelatin/hot sauce/splash of some fruit juice..but I'd probably just wait until 30 days were over.  

I finished my Whole30 back in January so, technically, I could go nuts and do whatever I want, but I was kind of intrigued by the challenge of making this meal work within the Whole30 framework.

@kirkor~ I'm thinking that the pepper jelly will have to be reincarnated as a sauce. It doesn't need to act as a glaze or serve any specific functional purpose, it just has to taste good.

jmcbn's idea about the chutney has my brain working too.

Whelp, I made an attempt at it over the weekend. Started with Nom Nom Paleo's kalua pork which I shredded and tossed with the cashew butter. Made chutney of two big fuji apples, a jalapeno, small handful of raisins, apple cider vinegar, and red pepper flake. Pickled onions were super easy-- half cup vinegar (ACV), one cup water, 1.5 teaspoon salt. Mix together and pour it over your sliced red onion. Let it sit for an hour and it's ready to use. We ate it over shredded cabbage that I cooked with coconut oil and some of the drippings from the pork. Pretty good lunch! (And I had leftovers for dinner which were even better.)

Next time I think I'll mix some of the drippings into the cashew butter to thin it out before tossing with the pork. And I think the chutney needs two jalapenos, not so much for heat but for the jalapeno flavor.

Archived