Question about "Light Tasting" olive oil

Edesia

I looked at some light tasting olive oils in the store so I could try making mayo. The ingredients are a combination of refined and unrefined olive oils. I didn't buy any because I don't ever buy refined olive oil. Is this kind of light tasting olive oil considered compliant or are there brands that do not include the refined olive oil in the mix? Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi Edesia! It's the refining that makes these oils palatable for making mayo. Their excellence and purity are otherwise questionable, but not necessarily noncompliant. As long as there isn't a seed oil listed in the ingredients, it's a go. However, some people make their mayo with coconut oil, avocado oil, or even nut oils such as walnut or macadamia, for clearer health benefits. Some of us have played around with various oils to determine what suits our palate and tolerance for questionable health benefits.

• Moderators

I just bought my first bottle of avocado oil and haven't tried it yet, so I can't speak to it directly, but I know some people find the flavor too strong for mayo. Personally, I like walnut oil and the questionable light tasting olive oil best for mayo.

All light oils are going to be refined at some level. What you want to pay attention to is the process they use for refining as some are more natural then others. I have been using Avocado oil or Walnut oil personally but both are still refined. If you buy the unrefined Avocado oil it is green and very strong and makes terrible mayo. 

I've settled on a 50/50 mix of avocado oil and walnut oil for making mayo. Sarah Fragoso at Everyday Paleo recommends using all walnut oil, but the cost of walnut oil hurts my heart and I can't bear to spend $8 on a bottle and only get 2 to 2.5 batches of mayo from it. Cutting it with the avocado oil makes it more economical for me and still tasty. I've done mayo with straight avocado oil, but I pick up on the flavor of the oil more than I'd like to with that. If I were going to use the mayo for some kind of other sauce, it might be okay, but as straight-up mayo, it's not my favorite.

I've settled on a 50/50 mix of avocado oil and walnut oil for making mayo. Sarah Fragoso at Everyday Paleo recommends using all walnut oil, but the cost of walnut oil hurts my heart and I can't bear to spend $8 on a bottle and only get 2 to 2.5 batches of mayo from it. Cutting it with the avocado oil makes it more economical for me and still tasty. I've done mayo with straight avocado oil, but I pick up on the flavor of the oil more than I'd like to with that. If I were going to use the mayo for some kind of other sauce, it might be okay, but as straight-up mayo, it's not my favorite.

That's interesting because I have found avocado oil to be much more expensive then walnut oil. 

That's interesting because I have found avocado oil to be much more expensive then walnut oil. 

I can buy a one liter bottle of avocado oil at Costco for about the same price as a small bottle of walnut oil. The walnut oil runs us about $8 a bottle for ~16oz or I can pay a dollar or two more for the giant bottle of avocado oil.

Maybe it's a geographic thing?

I can buy a one liter bottle of avocado oil at Costco for about the same price as a small bottle of walnut oil. The walnut oil runs us about $8 a bottle for ~16oz or I can pay a dollar or two more for the giant bottle of avocado oil.

Maybe it's a geographic thing?

I guess I'm comparing at the same store. Yes the Costco Avocado oil is a great value. Getting myself to enter Costco is the hard part. At my food coop the price is in favor or walnut oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived