Half Marathon Meals

Hi,

I run half-marathons and I typically travel for them. In Jan. I will be going to Disney for their Half Marathon and I live in PA. Typically, once I arrive at the location I go to the nearest store and buy bread, bananas and peanut butter for my pre-race fuel, especially since you are up at 3:00 and don't start until 5:30.

I am on Day 20 (whoo hoo!) of Whole 30 and am working my way back up to the 13 miles after an injury and lots of life changes. I typically cook up an egg with an avocado before I run, but in a hotel room that is not entirely possible.

So, what do you eat before a race when you are hotel bound?

Thanks,

Christine

I've been thinking about this same issue, since I'm doing the Tough Mudder next weekend. For my post-race meal, I'm taking a roasted sweet potato and the Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat from Well Fed (it was really good cold! Any pre-cooked chicken breast will hold up pretty well if you keep it with an ice pack). And cumin-roasted carrots (also from Well Fed), which I think taste like candy at this point!

It sounds like you've transitioned to being a fat-burner, if your current pre-run food is egg and avocado. Congrats on that, by the way! You could always do almond butter or sunbutter, though I wouldn't then pair it with carbs. Or wrap a couple pieces of Applegate Farms deli meat (I like the herbed turkey breast) around avocado, if you're able to find it at the stores you'll have available.

Good luck, not that you'll need it!

US Wellness Meats offers an excellent pemmican. I eat this before and after events. For a half marathon, you shouldn't need it during. I also buy Artisana coconut butter. High fat and excellent post workout. Sweet potatoes cooked and then mashed with butter or coconut oil keep at room temperature long enough to get you where you are going. But the Pemmican is so so worth the order from US Wellness Meats!

I ran a off road trail half marathon a while back..I had my normal breakfast with meat, veggies, and a extra bit of fat! It'll stand to you through the race. For the race, if you carry water with you try making your own drink..I added some coconut milk to water with lemon or lime, with a pinch of good sea salt for electrolytes. Afterwards I treated myself to a nice steak and roasted root veggies :) good luck!

Instead of hitting the local store to stock up on bread, peanut butter and bananas, you could pick up bananas, almond or sun butter and some pre-cooked chicken? We ran a half-marathon in July and stayed overnight the night before. I brought hard-boiled eggs, sliced veggies and some Sunshine Sauce to keep in the room fridge for a pre- and post- run snack.

I imagine you are flying down, so bringing food might be a bit trickier? Can you bring a little cooler with compliant foods when you travel by plane? I don't travel too often, so I don't know about that!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I just started my third attempt at a W30 today, and I also started a run streak which will set off my goal of running the Santa Hustle half in December. This is a great question and great advice. What about hard boiled eggs? They keep well, too, in a little cooler. You could easily grab some avocados on your way to the hotel. I second the pemmican. I haven't tried theirs, but I have attempted to make some of my own. It wasn't so tasty, but it was fuel.

Good luck on your half!

I ran a half in July that I traveled for - stopped at Whole Foods (which was super close to the hotel, luckily) for some fruit, plain cooked chicken, and larabars (in case of emergency). I also brought some homemade jerky as a snack for throughout the trip (and it was sooo easy to make).

The morning of the race, I had (I think) half of a banana and a few little pieces of chicken. About an hour before the race, I had a mini larabar (was hungry already).

I don't think there's a Whole Foods super convenient to Disney (if you're staying close) but there should be a Publix pretty close (and Publix is amazing).

Ha! I'm doing Disney in Jan as well and will be traveling from MO. Christine, I'll meet you at the Publix and we can load up on some precooked chicken, avocados, oranges, bananas, sweet potatoes and some larabars. I'm going to pop the sweet potatoes in the micro in my room (or I'll ask the kitchen to pop em in for me). I'll bring the pemmican from home...

Thanks for all the good words and ideas - what a great support network!

Archived