Is whole30 likely to help with eczema?

Hi,

I've done the whole30 two times before and was happy with how I felt. My eating habits have gone the wrong way since but for some reason I have suddenly developed a pretty bad case of eczema in my neck and creeping up in my face, which totally freaks me out.

I have hayfever as well but I haven't had eczema for 30 years. It just suddenly came back. I remember 30 years ago it also crept up to my face which got me in a panic and I resorted to very clean eating. It disappeared within two weeks and never came back until now. Needless to say I cleaned up my food intake straight away but not sure if it is going to be as easy this time around.

It feels bad. I've been reading a few reports on the forum as to the eczema, but I am wondering if anyone has good experience with this kind of eczema disappearing on the whole30? I so hope it will as I fear I won't be able to get out of the house if this continues (it looks terrible, even though I avoid scratching as much as I can)

I hope someone can give me some positive news.... Kind of desperate!

Simone

As a kid I had medium to severe eczema covering about 60% of my body.  I was totally thankful that it never got into my face.  (people freaked out enough as it was)

Dairy is my worst offender.  Even ghee will cause skin reactions.  (I still consume ghee on occasion mainly because I like the taste and the reaction is pretty minimal now)

Some people do really well eating clean - and then it disappears.  Others need to eat clean and do other things. Like eliminate tomatoes (or nightshades in general) eggs, and nuts.  Personally I find I do well just a reduction of nightshades, and nuts in general.  But you could be completely different.

My main issue are my hands.  They have been dry/damaged/skin breaking for so long that just eating clean has helped significantly - but they still need a lot of assistance. I have recently discovered TastyFace Organics - Now I have only be using their products for a week - but already I am noticing a difference. My skin is not getting inflamed, red or burning (like it does from many other products) and my severe dry prone skin IS getting better. More so than any other product that I have used previously.

Thanks! I'm gonna look up TastyFace Organics. Not sure if I can get it here (I live in the netherlands) but I'll check it out. I did notice that using an antihistamine tablet seems to help a little. I use those for hayfever symptoms and I kind of linked the two together since it is the season but I haven't had any other hayfever symptoms other than the eczema, which I am not even sure is related to the hayfever.... I am staying of dairy to begin with as it makes hayfever in general worse too. We'll see how it goes!

Totally off topic..... where in the Netherlands are you?

I have family there (I am Canadian born from Dutch parents)

Hmmm - the fact that you take an antihistamine might suggest you may (or may not) have issues with histamines also found in foods.  you might have some luck following the whole 30 low histamine - Google Whole 30 low Histamine shopping list (I'm on my work computer and somehow I cannot link it) and there are articles as well as the shopping list.  You can also Google Chris Kresser Low Histamine and get some other information about it as well.  Low Histamine is definitely restrictive - So before going down this path I would suggest you journalling your meals down along with reactions, energy etc.

Hi,

I've done the whole30 two times before and was happy with how I felt. My eating habits have gone the wrong way since but for some reason I have suddenly developed a pretty bad case of eczema in my neck and creeping up in my face, which totally freaks me out.

I have hayfever as well but I haven't had eczema for 30 years. It just suddenly came back. I remember 30 years ago it also crept up to my face which got me in a panic and I resorted to very clean eating. It disappeared within two weeks and never came back until now. Needless to say I cleaned up my food intake straight away but not sure if it is going to be as easy this time around.

It feels bad. I've been reading a few reports on the forum as to the eczema, but I am wondering if anyone has good experience with this kind of eczema disappearing on the whole30? I so hope it will as I fear I won't be able to get out of the house if this continues (it looks terrible, even though I avoid scratching as much as I can)

I hope someone can give me some positive news.... Kind of desperate!

Simone

My allergies and my eczema flare up in the same season. The eczema might be slightly better with Whole30. Also, I am taking sudafed, the old fashioned real stuff they keep behind the counter, and that seems to help both issues.

O that's fun Carlaccini! I have been in Canada and there were quite a few Dutch around...:) I live in the middle, Almere, which is close to Amsterdam. And thanks for the tip on the low histamine... I don't think I want to go there straight away. I'll first see how it goes with just the diet. I hope that will help sufficiently..

Hi there Simone, so sorry to hear about your eczema.  With me its my hands.  I live in Belgium and would be ever so glad to hear if you find this TastyFace Organics creme.  It would be great if this could help you and me!!!  I've done one whole 30 and am starting again now.  Have noticed a slight improvement the first time around and hope that it will improve this time 'round.  Let me know how you get on?  Take care,  Marie-Jeanne

I started the whole30 AIP on the 2nd February to see if it would help with my eczema. Fast forward to now and I have gone from angry, red, intolerable itching to perfectly normal looking skin. It did flare up again when I first stopped and started my reintroductions but after eating clean AIP again for a couple of weeks then reintroducing eggs once more I have had no flare up. I still have to try dairy again. I've not got my triggers figured out yet,right now I am happy not to be being driven insane with itching  :)

Nounou61 - If you are able to find a cream that is made with all natural ingredients (you could eat it) go for it.  I initially tried coconut oil - but that still burned my skin. (basically skin turns bright red and burns), now although Tasty Face has coconut oil in it - it does not have the same effect.  Now if you like Tasty Face organics on facebook - she does run some specials from time to time to promote her products. (I was able to get free shipping - which I would imagine might be as expensive as the product itself going to Europe).  

SimoneB -  yes I would definitely agree with with you not to do the antihistamine protocol for now.  A regular Whole 30 is a great starting off point.  

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help! I kind of missed the last two replies.. ;) I'm happy to report that my eczema got a whole lot better by just cleaning up my food intake. I haven't even gone on a full whole30 (yet)

It would be my fourth and by the looks of it eating paleo is enough at the moment!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting the Whole30 on June 1st too  - hopefully I'll be able to post about how it helped my eczema!

I developed eczema as a baby; have unfortunately been on steroid creams all my life, graduating to stronger and stronger ones until I frequently got infected eczema and was basically applying the strongest steroids constantly (never seemed to be able to wean off it). I gave up all steroid creams about 3 years ago when I worked out they were actually causing my rebound eczema (discovered something called topical steroid addition / withdrawal). But right now my skin is so dry and flaky and scratchy. I'm so glad it's almost winter here (I'm in Australia) so it doesn't look strange that I'm covered up head to toe when I go out. In summer, it is a lot harder to do though!

Really hoping the Whole30 will be able to change my lifelong eczema, would love to hear more of your good stories. Re-intro sounds a bit challenging also, will definitely be posting on here for more tips

Some people find that zinc can help, as it assists with wound healing, but some others can find supplements increase itching.

Getting enough oils/fats is important too, especially in winter when heating can dry out your skin.

Keep a food log and a record of how you feel, rashes etc (photos if you can be bothered). Logs sometimes show more subtle changes than we are more immediately aware of.

Archived