My job is making me eat

I am on day 20 of a W35 and I have been noticing a bad pattern during the week. I currently hate my job and look forward to lunch time as a break from it. It's 10:45AM and I just looked at the clock hoping it was close to 12 so I could make lunch. The problem is, I'm not even hungry. On this particular day, I think I could go until about 1 or 2 before feeling hungry. But because I am sitting at my desk, staring at the clock, I know I am going to force myself to eat at noon just so I can take a break from the monotony of my crappy job.

Sigh...

Advice?

OOoooooo Justine, Justine.  You need to eat 3 meals aday even if the job is less than and full of bologna and monotony. Understood and appreciated that the job is giving you a pinch but you must see yourself through your Whole 30.  It is the one thing that you're in charge of and no one can stomp on your toes or give you orders....your Whole 30 is yours alone.

You're in charge of your health.   It is the one thing that's going to help you crawl above this job and get yourself a better one.   Oh yes, Justine.   There are rewards for feeling on top of the world, it's contagious.   One day, you'll have another all lined up, your ducks in a row and you'll be singing a different tune.  So keep up with the Whole 30 protocol, one foot in front of another.    Meal by meal and day by day takes the job blues away.

• Moderators

This is really great information and awareness. Wait until you're hungry to eat. Do something else if you're bored. Figure out a way to spend your days and support yourself that doesn't make you wish time would go by faster. I am eternally grateful for the terrible crap jobs I once had that taught me I didn't want to spend my life that way--wishing the time away.

How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

You owe it to yourself to eat only when genuinely hungry and to find work you find deeply satisfying and fulfilling. It took me years of education and hard work and sacrifice and more loans than I'd like to admit, but it has all been worth it to get me where I am now. And that kind of satisfaction is something that never wanes and no one can take away. Much like figuring out how to nourish your body and doing it consistently. Benefits beyond imagining.

I had a job like that a long time ago. I had my own cube and sat on my butt doing boring data entry all day. And...I snacked all day long. I looked forward to trips across the parking lot to the grocery store, or the ice cream shop, or Wendy's...I was there less than a year and put on 20 pounds. I have now had a job I love for 18 years where I am on my feet most of the day and there's no possibility to snack much or go off-site for junk. You are in a tough spot. The only permanent solution is a new job I'm afraid! Regardless of your eating patterns, you deserve to be doing something you don't hate!

I deeply appreciate all of your comments and advice. It has led me to start the process of looking for a new job. I met with a recruiter at a staffing agency last night and she has submitted my resume to a few jobs that might be in line with my goals. 

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

Archived