The real challenge begins

Ytu

I finished my 2nd Whole 30 the day before yesterday.

It wasn't hard to stay on the programme. A bit frustrating at times, but not hard. But now, this is where the difficult part begins. After my first round I did the reintros, didn't find out much, then gradually slipped back into bad habits. I don't want that to happen this time.

I will:

- Give myself permission not to try to "lose weight" ever again. I only lost 1kg during the whole 30 and was a bit disappointed with that, though relieved I hadn't actually gained weight! My BMI now is 23 exactly and that is a healthy weight. I've always been in the mindset that the best weight would be just at the low edge of healthy - around 20 - but have never achieved that through any kind of dieting and it has just stressed me out and made me feel inadequate. Actually high edge of normal is healthiest. If I keep eating right, my weight will be right, and not something I have to worry about.

-Feed myself the best I can. This means eat to feed hunger, not emotional triggers. Don't ever encourage the sugar dragon. If I could do it for 30 days, I can keep doing it one day at a time. When I'm eating with friends, or someone else is cooking, those will be the times to consider off-roading. When making food for myself, I'll apply what I learned during the whole 30 and will learn during the reintros.

-Meditate every morning. I've fallen out of the practice again. I didn't see the mental improvements I hoped for during the whole 30 but it could be that they weren't to be fixed with food. I know meditation helps level my moods and feel more positively towards myself and others.

-Gently encourage myself to exercise. I'm not sure what's the best way about this. I just never want to do it! Right now it's Saturday morning, I've been up for two hours, and feel like I should be going out and doing sprints, but just don't want to. Mainly because it's cold outside. Like meditation, I know I'd feel better if I did it, but have a hard time getting up and doing it.

-Pay attention to the rest of the Whole 9. I'm taking part in the Whole 9 challenge (in the Join the Whole 30 board) to focus on each aspect for a month. Nutrition in March (doing reintros), sleep in April.

PS went out and did the sprints, feel much better for it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a fairly off-road weekend with the two occasions of Chinese food (Sichuan takeaway on Saturday night, dim sum for Sunday lunch). Both were what I would consider rare occasions of eating with friends and everyone sharing the food so a difficult situation to control. So there was certainly wheat, soy and rice in there, more than probably also MSG. I had a bit of bloating after both meals but it subsided fairly quickly. Also a slight headache yesterday, and increased thirst.

Went for a 50-minute run on Sunday morning. Nice gentle pace to keep it enjoyable.

Didn't meditate during the weekend but did 20 mins this morning.

Now back to clean eating for a couple of days and then a focused dairy reintro on Wednesday. I'm going to put my food into paleotrack today and tomorrow to see how well the nutrients fill up on typical template meals.

Lovely sunny morning here.

I'm so with you on this being the real challenge. I am trying to get a balance between off roading and not - and sticking to strict whole 30 when I'm not. But it's like doing the first 5 days over and over and over again. I let myself off plan at the weekend - usually just wine, dark chocolate and maybe a homemade paleo dessert. This weekend we were away so I ate more dairy than I would usually choose to. Then I say back on it till Friday. I don't find eating compliant meals hard at all, in fact I love it. But my cravings are back with a vengeance, my sugar dragon is roaring and every day is a battle against just eating chocolate. I'm not convinced this is either healthy or sustainable.

Yes, it's hard! I'm still off sweets and alcohol until Easter but even the sugar-free cake with its dried fruit the other day brought back sugar cravings and then I was snacking with honey and sunbutter again the next evening ... Didn't have a lot of it but I know I was giving in to the craving rather than starving it so it wasn't helpful.

Have you ever tried the "Potatoes not Prozac" thing? It's a sugar addiction programme, there's a book but all the basic steps are on the website for free, too. Basically you eat three proper meals a day and then have a potato at bedtime about 2 hrs after your last meal. If I remember correctly, the carbs in the potato help pick up tryptophan from your evening meal and take it into your brain for conversion to serotonin. I did it for a bit but might give it another go. 

Yesterday was an on-plan day with template meals, no snacks. Paleotrack results looked good, only calcium, zinc, vitamin E and vitamin D a little bit below requirement. I supplement zinc anyway and got my vit D drops yesterday (should have been taking them through the winter!). Not sure if I should take vitamin E pills or maybe get some red palm oil. 

Meditated yesterday but did not have time this morning. 

Clean eating yesterday.

Today is dairy reintro, sipping my coffee with milk right now. It's OK but I seem to have forgotten what the big deal was. Will probably have some yogurt at lunchtime and cheese at dinner.

No more paleotracking now. The nutrient intake looked good apart from the couple of things I mentioned, but I did notice myself starting to restrict portion sizes thinking about the calorie count (which came to about 1600 each day btw, probably about right for a not very active day). I've reassured myself that the food is good, now back to developing intuitive eating skills.

I think it is crazy to see that Ytu and Hannlib feel the same way as me! Once I start off roading I get sooooo far off road even though I know I am feeding my body craaaaap! And then when I get back on track I feel so much better. I am just finishing up a whole14 and it feels soo much better than the days that I went off on my own bike. I think I might have to limit everything I do to very special occasions to avoid all my reactions to off plan foods.

I hope it keeps going well for you! I am following along and will support you along the way!

I'll look at potatoes not prozac, thank you!

How is dairy day going?

I'm still feeling quite grumpy about my sugar dragon. I think it's like this: you can't quit smoking and have a fag on a Friday night. You can't be a sober alcoholic and just have a drink at the weekend. You can't be addicted to sugar and just eat it occasionally and not expect the cravings to return. I think for me, and my sugar dragon, it'd have to be no sugar, ever. No fruit, no nuts, no nothing. I just can't do that. I've given up so much. I don't miss grains, or dairy, or cakes, bread, biscuits. I'm happy to turn down all the wheaty stuff and crappy junk *but* I can't eat strict whole 30 for ever.

I've come such a long way. This time last year I was eating 3 creme eggs in a row and mainlining mini eggs and haribo. I've never gone back to that, the fruit and dark chocolate and paleo treats are enough. I think staying off refined sugar is going to have to do.

So. I'm doing an experiment in what treats do what to my sugar dragon. Monday night I had a banana and almond butter. So delicious. Really hit the spot. Last night I had a nakd bar. Not worth it. So I had 2 squares of 90% dark chocolate. They were good and I felt no urge whatsoever to eat the whole bar. Today I had an early and unsatisfactory lunch at a cafe (eggs, bacon, mushrooms). So this afternoon I had a banana and an apple with almond butter. I normally structure my meals so I don't snack in the day and I know I should have had a chicken thigh and a carrot but MEH I'm bad at whole 30ing when I'm not whole 30ing. It was delicious, but did leave me a bit sugar crashy. I've had a huge tea. I may eat chocolate later.

I think it's like this: you can't quit smoking and have a fag on a Friday night. You can't be a sober alcoholic and just have a drink at the weekend. You can't be addicted to sugar and just eat it occasionally and not expect the cravings to return.

Rings so true...

Hi Rachel, thanks so much for your support! It's good to know there are others in the same boat. (Hey, we're in a boat! Rowing, not drowning...)

Hannlib, I fear that's probably right. I was wondering today just how much I would actually miss the sweet stuff if I gave it up for good, but then it's really the refined sugars I'm thinking of. I think I'm OK with fresh fruit, but definitely not with dried. OK with raw nuts but not toasted. Just learning where the limits are I guess. I need to experiment with my sugar dragon, too, and know that I can return to the safety of compliant template meals at any time rather than go completely off the tracks (like last time).

Dairy day has been good.

Breakfast included coffee with milk - half an hour later a sniffy nose and itchy sinuses, felt like sudden dust allergy. Then it went away.

Lunch with a plain yogurt. Thought my face felt a little tingly afterwards but nothing major. A bit of indigestion after lunch but this often happens anyway (haven't been able to connect it to any particular food - I think I'm allergic to being in the office in the afternoon!)

Dinner was beef short ribs with melted cheddar cheese, caramelised onions, roast parsnips and broccoli. So, so delicious. It's funny that the parsnips and onions are definitely sweet tasting and I enjoy them very much, but there's not really a sugar dragon trigger there.

So, watching out for any delayed reactions, but so far it's been mostly fine.

Are you going back to clean for a couple of days now? Dairy makes me feel ick in a very non specific way. I just feel better when I don't eat it. I think it gives me spots too.

I'm going to bed a bit hungry tonight. Too much sugar, not enough protein today. Shoulda had them chicken thighs this afternoon. Also I've stopped reaching for my herbal tea when I have a craving, allowing myself to dwell on the craving instead. And my water intake has dropped. I need to address both of these things and keep them up long term.

I'm also sticking with mindfulness in my eating. Not eating the kids (compliant) leftovers. Not eating while I prep food. This is at risk of slipping too. Need to keep on it.

Ytu, I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your log thread. I kept meaning to start one but never got round to it!

Not at all Hannlib, you're very welcome to share the thread! Nice to have company.

Slightly sniffy nose when I woke up. Probably the dairy. While the dairy didn't make me feel awful I think it will fall in the category of things I shouldn't feed myself - fine to have a little bit when eating out or someone else is cooking. May make an exception for cheese occasionally when really nice cheese is available. Not just supermarket cheddar.

Yes, back to clean eating today and tomorrow, and on Saturday I'll try some legumes. We're going to have friends over and one is vegan so will make a selection of mezze and dips so a good time to try some hummus etc.

I had a kind of an idea yesterday. I'd like to cook for other people. My meditation organisation was looking for someone to cook for their beginners' weekends and I think I might volunteer to do that. Would be great to be able to feed others well. And at the meditation centre we practice mindfulness in everything, including eating and cooking. I also need to work on not eating while cooking, but I'd never do it at the centre.

Slightly sniffy nose when I woke up. Probably the dairy. While the dairy didn't make me feel awful I think it will fall in the category of things I shouldn't feed myself - fine to have a little bit when eating out or someone else is cooking. May make an exception for cheese occasionally when really nice cheese is available. Not just supermarket cheddar.

This was exactly what I was thinking yesterday! I love cheese but I can live without it as a regular part of my diet... but if there's a REALLY good cheese platter on offer I will indulge.  We were asked on another thread what we want to reintroduce and what we can give up for good and really the only things I would like to eat are rice, oats, milk and cheese.  I can forgo milk even as I'm getting a taste for herb and fruit teas now.  Mind you this is all moot as I'm planning to go for a W60 now any way ;)

Felt grumpier than usual yesterday. A lot of negative thoughts. Sick of my job and everyone there, sick of my life, that kind of thing. Delayed dairy reaction or just a stressful day at work? Journalling in case it was to do with dairy.

I had to talk myself out of buying dried fruit as a treat after work. I was this close to picking up a nakd bar. I know it wouldn't have helped!

Had two eggs this morning as it was a choice between that and no protein at M1. Will see how those make me feel today.

Epic grumpiness here too. I think mine is pmt. Also, I had a nakd bar the other night - so not worth it. So you made a good choice there.

I think your cooking idea is great! I love cooking for people. Or just cooking, generally. Which is a good thing with this way of eating. My friend finished whole 30 about 3 weeks ago and hasn't cooked a single thing since. Seriously. Just take out and eating out. Such a shame, but I think that hate cooking barrier is a big issue for her.

Anyway. Good day yesterday despite ill temper. Thursday is my exercise day, I do an evening kettle bells class. So I decided no chocolate. Made a good effort with m1 and 2 for plenty of protein and also ate a huge carrot salad with lunch, think my starchy veggies have been lacking. More effort with water and herbal tea too. Went for a brew at a friend's house and she had bought Florentines. I've had them before, I ate an entire box in a day at Christmas. Grain free yes but full of sugar and crap. I resisted, because I knew they wouldn't make me feel good. Had a post WO can of tuna and a banana and didn't have to fight chocolate urges all evening. Exercise helps a lot with suppressing my sugar cravings.

Anyway. Planning some wine this weekend and a swypo paleo crumble effort. And probably some chocolate.

I do find this hard. The guilt is pretty exhausting.

You should give yourself credit for doing so well yesterday! Saying no to the Florentines, and going to your kettlebell class and feeding your body good food all day. Where is the guilt coming from? One of my mental exercises is where I try not to talk to myself in a way a “good parent” wouldn’t. So no calling myself stupid or lazy, no guilt trips, being kind but not indulgent towards myself. I still do these things but try to stop as soon as I notice. It takes practice but we need to wish ourselves well.

I meant to ask how the class was going? I’d like to get a kettlebell to use at home. I tried to do a HIIT workout following a youtube video last week but as our flat is on the first floor, it felt quite antisocial to be doing star jumps and burpees early in the morning. Kettlebell would be dynamic movement and no jumping up and down which I’m sure our downstairs neighbour would appreciate...

PS it was the thought of coming here and having to own up that stopped me from getting the nakd bar!

I know, it's ridiculous. I eat the healthiest of everyone I know and I still beat myself up. I feel guilty for eating a banana. For having an apple with my lunch. For the handful of cashews I ate after lunch. For wanting dessert. For chocolate. I think it's because I know I don't need any of these things and that they aren't choices that make me feel healthier. I've had some cbt this last year and I know I'm hard on myself. I'll try your mental exercise, thank you!

I feel rubbish today. Horrible headache. I had some strawberries and coconut cream, a small bar of dark chocolate and a small glass of red wine last night. I think red wine is not my friend anymore. I had a glass last Friday night and suffered for it on Saturday, same again today. Or I might be getting ill, dd1 is poorly today and dd2 full of shot and eye gunge. I've taken a handful of vitamin c. Or tired. I actually went to bed at 10.30pm on Thursday and felt SO much better yesterday. So good that I stayed up till midnight catching up on Fortitude with dh. And drinking red wine. Tut.

This week's goal is early nights. I have very disturbed sleep as I sleep with dd2 so a couple of extra hours a night would be v sensible. I am always SO envious of your 9 unbroken hours a night!!!

Hope you're feeling better today. Red wine sometimes gives me a headache, too.

My sleep is more often than not broken by the cat deciding everyone should wake up at 5.30! Usually I can get back to sleep once he shuts up, though. April is going to be the sleep focus month in the Whole 9 challenge thread so I'm going to try some earplugs.

Had a slightly better day on Friday mood-wise. Food-wise good, except did have a bag of crisps after work as I had some shopping to do, was hungry, and knew dinner was at least 2 hours away. Legitimate reason for a snack but not the best choice of food.

Yesterday was legume reintro and ended up being an almost vegetarian day. A couple of spoonfuls of ful medames with M1, lentil soup for M2. We had a bunch of friends around in the evening so M3 was a mezze selection: hummus, baba ganoush, two other aubergine dips, a carrot dip, dukkah, tabbouleh (mine without bulgur), dates stuffed with walnuts/pecans. I wasn't going to drink but then decided to have some sparkling wine. Enjoyed the first glass, then had another couple, but in the end felt that I would have been just as happy drinking something non-alcoholic and it would not have reduced my enjoyment of the evening one bit. Something to keep in mind.

No noticeable side effects from the legumes. We have quite a lot of dips left over so I might have some more hummus today.

2 eggs a day seems to be OK and no ill effects. I need to buy some more meat, though. I'm sure yesterday was badly lacking in protein.

I woke up this morning feeling slightly dehydrated from the wine, and also my mouth tasting like I'd been smoking cigarettes! I love burnt aubergine dishes but that made me wonder whether they're actually not very healthy - would the burnt skin be carcinogenic?

I don't much like burnt food but personally wouldn't get too excited about the carcinogenic potential. Hope you got more protein in today? I think I'm okay with hummous and peas but eating whole pulses - beans etc - not so good. not something I miss though.

You asked about kettlebells! I like it. the class I go to does have a cardio element - the star jumps took me by surprise first time! But I enjoy it. I actually went to another exercise class this morning, feeling motivated to exercise is a very new feeling for me, haven't had it since having the kids so over 6 years! lots of weights and upper / lower body work, I think I'll feel it tomorrow. My meals all get messed up on a weekend and daylight saving hasn't helped today. Late lunch and then needed to cook tea.

Anyway. Had some dairy today. Bought some cream to have with dessert last night but friends didn't come to dinner. So we whipped it and had it on fresh raspberries and strawberries. Maybe I should have had coconut cream but my coconut milk is full of sulphites anyway. Anyway it was delicious. Worth it. Stuffed now!

Gone wild today. It's the Easter hols and dd1 wanted to bake. So we made some against all grain choc chip cookies. Amazing, and so good to bake with her and make something I can eat. Astoundingly, I only ate two, plus a few chocolate chips. But I am now not hungry for my tea - really, really don't need to eat between meals in the day!!

Even more excitingly I have shepherd's pie for tea with Actual White Potato topping. Not root veg mash. Still totally compliant mind. Except damn it, I'm having it with peas.

Hey, sounds like a bike well ridden with the cookies! Well done. 

I've been back to paleo foods yesterday and today, and yes, ate more meat! Made moroccan lamb meatballs for dinner yesterday and had some for breakfast and lunch. Does make a difference in how well it fills you up.

Tomorrow it's non-gluten grains so I'm going to have rice with my doro wat (ethiopian chicken stew) for dinner and maybe buckwheat pancake at breakfast, not sure what if anything with lunch. 

Have had a long busy day at work and had to pretty much work through my lunchbreak (which I try never to do, disappointing!). So feeling quite stressed and tired now, need to get myself home and unwind, maybe do another online workout video.

Yay for meat!

Full disclosure time. I had Heinz tomato ketchup with my Shepherd's pie and peas. It's a really nostalgic meal for me, how my grandma used to serve it, and I really struggle with w30 cottage/ shepherd's pie. So, delicious. I am well on that bike today.

I'd advise caution with those non gluten grains. I discovered with my round one reintros that rice is not my friend. Rice flour especially affects me in the same way as gluten. Very sad. So I'd be tempted to separate them out a bit if you can face it.

I've been totally off the back foot the last two days. Stupid clocks. I'm still basically on GMT.

I'm off to my parents for 3 days for tomorrow. Going to take some cooked chicken to supplement eggy breakfasts but my mum is generally quite good at providing compliant food. Portion sizes tend to lack though so need to watch my hunger/ snacking urges.

I hope tomorrow is a better work day. Out of pure nosiness, what do you do?

I think there's a compliant ketchup recipe on clothes make the girl if you fancied trying making your own. I've also seen a fermented ketchup recipe before, and would quite like to give that a go sometime.

So far so good with the buckwheat (just boiled buckwheat groats with breakfast and with lunch). It's not something I eat often but is a nice choice to have as noodles or in crepes, and I do like the groats in a salad. 

I've been super tired yesterday and today, don't know if it's the clocks changing. 9 hrs sleep last night and still had trouble getting out of bed. Did get some sunlight at lunchtime today at least. I work in media business affairs and not really enjoying it at present, my days are either boring or stressful and frustrating, the commute is long and I really hate working in a noisy open plan office. Definitely ready for Easter holidays!

Got my 70% dark chocolate easter egg. Haven't missed chocolate all that much but I do like easter eggs, something about the way the shell snaps. And this is a really nice one - spent more than I was going to, but I figure I've saved a fair amount by not buying chocolate during Lent.

Have a good time at your mum's! We've been talking about possibly going to my BF's parents for Easter but it's probably not going to happen now as we haven't sorted out anyone to come look after the cat. And food at their house is definitely not paleo friendly. 

Oh yes I have compliant kickass ketchup in the fridge! I wanted Heinz though. Definitely worth it.

Added a chicken breast to my mum's stingy salad at lunch. Wished I'd brought some mayo!! And the last cookie from yesterday.

Then this afternoon we went on a plantain mission. I keep seeing all these plantain recipes I've been wanting to try, but I live in rural south Yorkshire in probably the least ethnically diverse town in the UK!! No chance of buying plantains. My parents are in Leicester and we found them easily at the international grocery. So I made patacones http://nomnompaleo.com/post/113854926293/fried-green-plantains-patacones-or-tostonesto have with dinner. So good! Crunchy and yummy. And I couldn't have eaten any more, didn't spike my blood sugar at all. Dinner was beef cheek braised in red wine I think and veggies. So not compliant, buy good enough. And delicious.

So feeling good today. Considering chocolate. That's my thing really. Your Easter egg sounds delicious, I love love quality dark choc. Montezuma's is my favourite. I also like decandently pure raw chocolate. I think not having chcolaye as a daily thing is a real battle. Maybe I should focus on quantity and how I eat ie not in sneaky secret handfuls in the pantry ......

I've never had a buckwheat groat. I don't think I want to!! Are they like bulgar wheat? I can live without that.

Easter long weekend should be a welcome break, your job sounds stressful. I'm at home full time with my 2 girls (well the eldest goes to school) which has its stresses but at least I see plenty of daylight. I've really struggled with the dark this winter.

So tomorrow is April, I've been off the whole 30 for nearly a whole month. I think I'm riding my bike pretty steadily. I don't feel deprived, but I haven't gone wild. Taking choices a day at a time.

Very excited about my plantains though, I love trying new recipes.

Rice was fine, no reaction at all. Which is good. Again, it maybe shouldn't be a diet staple (although I am rather partial to Perfect Health Diet ideas) but good to be able to have sometimes.

You're not missing anything re buckwheat groats! They're like big bulgur wheat pieces with quite a distinct taste. My favourite use of buckwheat is in savoury crepes.

I love tostones! Should make them more often. We live in Lewisham where plantains are available at every corner, yet hardly ever eat them.

April sleep focus month starts today. Going to: Not have any caffeine after noon, be in bed by 10, no electronics after sunset, sleep in darkened room + sleep mask, maybe ear plugs too (although they make my ears hurt if worn all night so probably if the cat doesn't wake me up, the earplugs themselves will). I already wake up without an alarm and try to get some bright light first thing (London weather allowing).

Archived