The real challenge begins

Ytu

Good 9 hrs sleep last night but was interrupted a bit by cat being noisy. Still need to get those earplugs.

Managed to turn off screens at 8pm so that was quite good. I'm hoping to get more interesting and useful things done instead of wasting time online. Last night I made dinner for tonight, did the washing up and some washing. Not so interesting, but useful.

Found out yesterday that my cousin is coming to London for Easter! So we're definitely staying here now, and will look for fun things to do with her. Really pleased and looking forward to it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stayed up way too late last night. Sewing (and watching tv admittedly) till midnight. Oops. That is what happens when I get productive!!

On the plus side sleep wise: I never drink caffeine, ever. My room is blacked out dark. I've pretty much put a lid on eating after 9pm now which should help.

On the downside: screens. I need to put a curfew on my tablet/ mobile especially. But it is soooooo nice to browse in peace. And eatch something other than cbeebies :-/

Bedtime. I am hopeless at going to bed. And struggle to drop off once I'm there. I also bed share with my nursing toddler who is disruptive to my sleep to put it mildly!!!!!

Anyway. Work in progress. Had a funny few days food wise. Made some reasonable choices while at my mum's house but then on thursday I finished the kids' salt and vinegar crisps (I blame a lacklustre picnic lunch). then had a mint magnum. Then, as I was already off the dairy wagon for the day had a proper decaff latte. I enjoyed them all but worth it? Not so sure. 

Better day yesterday back in my own house. Hubby and I had some fried apple slices as friday night dessert and then some chocolate, nuts and sultanas in a bowl while watching tv. I pushed them away when I'd had enough - something I would have NEVER done before this last w30. 

Day out today with my eldest. She wanted to eat at Wagamama so I ordered the beef massaman curry, no rice, with a side of wok fried greens instead. it'll have been chock full of soy but no actual grains at least. I don't feel great, but okay. She had an ice cream, I didn't. Hurrah. I don't even really like ice cream that much, I don't know why i end up eating it. 

My skin is a mess, my spots are awful. Could be dairy? Or sugar? I tend to fall off both wagons simultaneously iykwim so hard to tell. Also I came off the pill last month and now my period is due so *could * be that, but I think that's me being optimistic. I'm off to a hen do on the 18th of this month so my plan is to enjoy the next few days with my family. back mostly on the wagon weds/ thur./fri. Eating out a week on sat night (and drinking). Then STRICT W30 from the monday 13th through to Saturday hen do lunch. 

Sounds like the skin could well be to do with your hormones readjusting after coming off the pill.

I had a very off-road Easter weekend, but fun. I kind of feel like I've eaten everything under the sun, and not going to list it all, but started with a fairly controlled reintro of sourdough bread on Friday which seems to be OK digestively at least. 

Other things I learned (or had confirmed) were that once I start eating chocolate it's hard to stop, even if it's 70% cocoa solids (85% and up is less dangerous so I should choose that) and that the combo of wheat and sugar is what my sugar dragon loves the most. I wanted another hot cross bun while I was still eating the first one!! (I didn't have a second one.)

Had a good time though, and no regrets, well, not many. That's officially the end of the reintros. Now I need to be really careful to make good choices and not let the weekend's choices become habits. I have some leftover lentils and rice to finish for lunch (along with roast lamb and salad) but after that will try to get back to 'best efforts paleo' choices and the principles I set out at the start of this thread. 

All the good sleep practices fell out of the window during the weekend, so need to get back into those, too. Lovely and sunny today so will make sure I get some sunlight and a walk at lunchtime. Have a bit of a sore throat since last night, so I wonder if the weekend food and drink choices compromised my immune system. I was hoping to give blood this week but can't if I get a cold so I hope it doesn't develop into anything. 

• Moderators

Well played! You did a great job with reintros and are well poised to make well-informed choices about how to move forward. And you seem really balanced in your approach. Really nice to see. Good luck!

Ytu, what kind of meditation do you do? I'd really like to start doing it again but not sure what to do. I did TM years ago but that has really negative side effects for me and that I really don't want to go through again. I'd like to try something different. 

Lady M - thank you so much for your encouraging message! 

Loulabelle - I do a mindfulness of breathing meditation, with stages of paying attention to different aspects of the breath. I've never done TM so don't know how different that is. This one is from a Theravada Buddhist tradition and I sometimes go to the class to do a group practice and talk to the teacher about how it's going, sometimes go to retreats, but mostly just practice at home.

I've found it beneficial in lots of subtle ways. The difficult part is making it a daily practice but I keep trying. I guess a meditation retreat is like the whole 30 - everyone knows what they're there for, there's clear rules to stick to, so it's straightforward even when it's hard work - whereas in everyday life there's the sometimes tempting option of deciding to do other things!

Thanks Ytu. TM involves the repetition of a mantra that belongs to you, the mantra that suits you is decided upon and given to you by your teacher. I'll have a look into your kind, I feel I have to do this to bring some focus into areas of my life. 

Ooh hot cross buns!!! I haven't had one, though I have considered it, but i know that gluten is bad for me. But the kids have been eating them and I have sniffed several!!

Sounds like you had a fun and enjoyable Easter weekend, exactly as it should be. I've been managing to get to bed earlier, as early as 10.30pm on Sunday night. And my little girl slept in her room till 4am that night so I had like 5 hours undisturbed sleep!!! Amazing.

Definitely getting back on track after a couple of days off roading is hard. I'd hoped to do the whole 3/ whole 5/ whole 7 etc thing that Melissa talks about but I just find it limiting and depressing. Best paleo principles seems like a good compromise. I'm mostly succeeding in limititng myself to one treat per day. It is every day, pretty much, but I feel in control. I had a gf bakewell slice today on a whim which was so so good. So hoping to balance that by no chocolate tonight, though we'll see.

Well I have spent today with a truly hideous hangover. I only drank a bottle of prosecco. Whole 30 has ruined me!!

Anyway, as planned, strict w30 this week through till Saturday lunch. Usual rules plus no fruit and no snacks. Just three good template meals a day, water (lots of water!!) And herbal tea.

How are you doing Ytu?

I've been ill too. :( Thought I'd made it through the winter with no viruses but not quite... Was in bed for two days last week with an achey fluey thing and it first got better, then a bit worse again over the weekend, now I still have a persistent cough, a sore throat and mucusy sinuses.

So as a result have been too tired to shop/cook/eat properly and diet hasn't been great, and there are still some Easter sweets around which have been a tempting consolation, but I'm trying to get back to proper foods, proper meals and plenty of protein to help recovery. I've been having a tsp of honey in my black tea to soothe my throat.

Hope you feel better soon!

Day 1 of my whole5 done.

M1 prosciutto, chicken, green beans, carrots, 3 eggs

M2 Kahlua pig, sauerkraut, mayo, red pepper, cucumber, carrot

M3 Kahlua pig, guacamole, plantain chips (home made), mayo, salad

I've had vitamin c and paracetamol too. Some hot water and !emon. Not enough water. I feel awful. My husband has just for home so I can go to bed.

Good job eating so well despite being poorly!

Turns out I've got shingles. Rash appeared this morning on my right hip, so I went to the GP. Got a heavy dosage of anti-virals which I've never taken before, so a bit nervous after reading the list of side effects, but we'll see.

Yesterday I really wanted a chocolate snack on my way from work but instead made myself eat some chicken breast slices. Just as well, too, because we went to a friend's house for dinner which was vegan, so would have been low on protein otherwise. 

Have been eating split pea & ham soup for lunch. Some left for today, too. The well cooked peas seem to be OK and it's not something I cook often (in fact my BF was complaining I'd never made it for him and we've been together for 10 years! So once a decade is probably OK...).

Oh you poor thing, shingles can be horrible. Take the anti virals!! And rest, too. My mil got very run down and poorly keeping going when she had shingles. I hope you feel better vey soon.

I woke today feeling no better despite 11 hours sleep!! Have felt a bit better over the course of the day. Off to bed now.

M1 chicken, prosciutto, green beans, carrot, 3 eggs

M2 tuna Waldorf salad (broke my own rule and chopped in pecans and an apple because I wanted to) and half a HB egg and salad leaves

M3 pork mince, onions, green beans, red pepper, zoodles, sunshine sauce

This going to bed early is good for my evening eating cravings.

That was me last week, sleeping 10+ hrs a night and more in the day and still just as tired! Hope you feel better soon.

I'm doing as little as possible, except still coming to work. The journey in is quite tiring but being in the office is fine and I figured it's less stressful to come in and keep on top of my work than take days off and then come back to a huge backlog.

Lovely warm sun today, was outside at lunchtime having a drowsy lie down on a bench. Hope it's a little glimpse of the summer to come.

Glad you are taking care of yourself. Take some time off if you need to though. A friend and I were reminiscing yesterday about all those days we dragged ourselves into work ill when we could have stayed home in bed. No sick leave in my job!!

The warm weather hasn't made it up here yet, hope it does soon.

Anyway.

I actually felt like eating vegetables today which is progress.

M1 kahlua pig, green beans, spinach, 3 eggs.

M2 coronation chicken salad with celery, carrot, spring onions and grapes. And flaked almonds. On salad leaves. And a boiled egg.

M3 fiesta pork chops, sweet potato fries, broccoli, green beans, avocado.

I've decided some fruit and nuts as an integral part of a meal is fine for these mini resets. I'm not eating chocolate which is the main point.

Off to the pub tonight for a meeting. Will drink soda water, which is fine by me.

Just checking in for day 4. My late night last night wrecked me. I'm skipping kettle bells tonight and getting an early night. I need to be well for the weekend.

I can tell I'm a bit better though as the cravings are sneaking back. Looked rather longingly at the chocolate tin today. But my skin has cleared up after a couple of new spots early this week which was my prime motivation for this week of clean eating. So no chocolate for me.

M1 leftover pork chop, green beans, spinach, 3 eggs

M2 sardines cooked with onions, garlic, peppers, passata and lime juice. With pan fried plantains

M3 cod coated in seasoned tapioca flour and pan fried in ghee. With green beans, brocolli, spinach, green goddess dressing and a few slices pan fried plantain. My friend got me some that are somewhat on the turn and need eating!! My husband got most of them tonight.

Herbal tea, quick sort out then off to bed for me once the kids are asleep. Hate being ill.

Forgot to check in yesterday.

M1 chicken, green beans, Salad leaves, 3 eggs. Bit light on veg

M2 salad with carrot, sugar snaps,chicken and green goddess dressing. This wasn't what I wanted but it needed eating. Bit garlicky for lunchtime!

M3 paleomg buffalo chicken and zoodle pasta. I love this meal.

M1 today zoodles, mushrooms, leeks, chicken and 3 eggs. Don't know when I'll next see a vegetable! On my way to Birmingham for a hen do, got a bottle of Water for the train. From lunchtime today all bets are off. Except gluten, yuk.

I'm surprised how easy I've found this mini reset. I can do w30s but I normally really begrudge shorter spells of being 100% on plan. I wanted clear skin and a clear head for this weekend though and I have that. I think being ill and going to bed so early helped. But even last night I felt not urge for a Friday night treat.

Have a great weekend!

Well done with the mini reset! Hope you had a fun weekend with the hen do?

I'm starting to feel back to normal but still get tired from being too active (by which I mean just walking around, haven't attempted any kind of exercise yet). Last day of anti-virals today and the rash is completely gone. 

Feels like life's been on hold while I've been ill and I haven't wanted to do anything except sit down and play computer games. Food choices have been all over the place, too, I've just been eating whatever my BF has been cooking, or we've got takeaways, and sugar cravings are back big time between meals. 

I just need to get back to my own post whole 30 principles. Just to remind myself: Feed myself the best I know how which means compliant foods whenever available and not feeding the sugar dragon. Meditate. Encourage exercise as soon as I feel well enough. Still 10 days to go of sleep focus month April and although I've slept a lot in the last couple of weeks, I haven't stuck to my no-electronics after sunset rule, so there's some time left to do that. 

This morning I meditated and made good food choices for breakfast (eggs and sweet potato) and lunch (tuna nicoise salad) and no coffee, no milk in my tea. It kind of feels like taking those tiring first steps again, but I also feel like I'm not giving up so that's good.

How are you, Hannlib?

I had an OK week last week and finally feeling back to full strength and normal energy.

Got on the scales on Saturday and I'm back to pre-whole 30 weight which is disappointing. Must be due to reduced activity while I was ill and possibly just eating too much. I don't want to be trying to lose weight but I also really don't want to gain. 

I'm going to try to do a stricter 30 days - not a whole 30 but sticking to my own rules (as set out above): Good food choices, no snacking, meditate, exercise, reduce computer use before bedtime. Today's day 1. Got a kettlebell on Saturday (only a 10lb one) for little workouts at home to make a change from running and bodyweight stuff.

Hello!! I was just coming to check in. So glad you are feeling better! Sounds like you were really wiped out. A bit of a gain sounds disappointing, but at least you are well again.

I've been struggling a bit to get back on track after the hen weekend. I had good fun, but way too much sugar and dairy (ick). Stayed GF I think but even that was hard. Eating out is such a pita. And lots of grappling with sugar cravings last week. I didn't to do another w5 but that trying to be good thing is so hard. Had a jacket potato for lunch at a friend's house on Tuesday which totally threw me off, ended up eating chocolate mid afternoon. Mostly got back on track - I try to do 3 template meals then a mindfully eaten treat in the evening once the girls are in bed.

Then yesterday I had tea at a Thai restaurant. Planned for ages. I had rice, and avoided the obviously battered stuff. I suspect some gluten snuck in, and I don't do well with rice, so some tummy discomfort for a couple of hours after. It was delicious though, and I think worth it ( though next time I'll do a la carte instead of the buffet). Oh and then I had some galaxy minstrels. Tut.

SO. Back to it today, same old. Not super strict but general on plan plus a treat. I'm starving today. I must check in here more regularly, I struggled last week.

I have been so hungry today. And so cold. And craving sweet potatoes. I think my period is due soon.

I always always have some kind of salad for lunch but today I grated a sweet potato and made a chicken and apple hash with eggs. It was good and stopped any afternoon cravings. And tonight I made a swypo dessert - a strawberry almond crisp. I wouldn't usually on a Monday but had 2 punnets of strawberries that the kids were turning their noses up at as they were a bit beyond ripe. Had with coconut cream. Then some 90% chocolate while watching the (sob) Poldark finale.

Happy with that today.

Day 1 of my own rules challenge went well.

Food choices - good; Snacking - no, just a compliant mini meal between lunch and dinner; Meditation - yes; Exercise - rest day so stretching; No computer at bedtime - good.

I'm going to allow myself one piece of dark chocolate after dinner but really need to monitor whether it is worth it (ie whether I can enjoy one piece or whether it causes me to crave more).

I've been wanting to try to make sweet potato hash too, might give it a go this week. Normally just microwave them as it's so convenient.

Archived