What do you cook when you want to treat yourself?

alissaks

Tonight my stepdaughter is having a sleep over at our house with 6 girls.  Her father does not mind indulging her with junk food on her birthday (and most any time she wants it), so not only are the girls getting pizza, there are chips, candy and other snacks in my house.  I am admittedly weak when it comes to salty food but I will prevail.  The rest of my family tend to be sugar people, so if there is that sort of crap in the house, I'm typically not tempted.

I will be fine avoiding this junk but then it makes me think that it's a Saturday night and I want a treat too.  If I weren't on the Whole30, we would probably order sushi or thai food and have some wine. I am obviously not going to do that but I'm trying to think of what will feel like a treat meal and can't come up with anything.  I cook all week and I plan well for the week but I always falter come the weekend.

So, does anyone have a meal that you create that makes you feel like you treated yourself but stayed compliant?

Thanks!

Alissa

• Moderators

I like a Porterhouse steak grilled with salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and cinnamon and a side of stir-fried broccoli and onions with dried cranberries. However, you may need to break your concept of food as a treat. Most of the time, viewing food as a retreat or reward leads to a bad relationship with food. I recommend that you adopt another form of treats - a massage, a new scarf, a new cook book, a long soak in a hot tub with epson salts, etc. 

I certainly have meals that are more special/ treatish than the stuff I churn out during a busy week. Often steak with broccoli bagna cauda. Mel joulwan's pad Thai or the sb&j/ Elvis burgers. Or I try out a new recipe or a new cut of meat.

When you eat good food all the time I don't think there's anything wrong with eating even better food sometimes.

Short ribs are my go-to special occasion meal. Although you need to get them started soon if you want them for dinner tonight.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs

You could always do sashimi with coconut aminos too. That is special occasion for me also since it tends to be a little spendy.

• 3 weeks later...

When my husband was out of town a few months ago, I had a "me" weekend and made the pan-fried sardines from Well Fed 2, African nut butter stew with raisins, and stovetop chicken casserole with toasted coconut. The chicken casserole is one of my favorite meals so it always feels special and the other two items were things I had been looking forward to and was excited to try.

What's something (compliant) that you love or what gets you excited to eat? Whatever your answers to those questions, use that as a jumping off point.

Braised lamb shanks and roasted brussel sprouts and fingerling potatoes, or some sort of root vegetable mash :) And an Orin apple or some pineapple for "dessert."Its my Most Special Occasion meal! It does take like 3 hours and an hour of prep/manning though.

Do you enjoy cooking? I always find if its super involved to cook/fancy and i feel all chef like, its my "me" time and it helps it feel special or treat like.

Archived