Hot flashes and night sweats

lhfrommelt

I am 48 years old.  Before starting my Whole30(day 26), I was comfortably into menopause.  I am finding that some of the daytime hot flashes have returned (no where near as bad as a year ago) and I am now waking because of excessive sweating.  Last night soaked through pajamas.  This has been the only negative aspect to this experience.  Anyon else having this sort of issue?

• Administrators

What day are you on? Hormone rebalancing is extremely common with the Whole30 and could very well be causing your fluctuations. Most people find that this resolves within 1-2 months of Whole30 style eating.

I can say that I'm not anywhere close to menopausal (I'm 32), but I actually have been dealing with night sweats since I began my whole30.  It's not every night, but has been happening a couple of nights a week.  I am chalking it up to hormonal balancing and not sweating it (hah!), no matter how unpleasant they actually are.

I've had some success with reducing the intensity of the hot flashes and night sweats by increasing my magnesium supplements.  Mine now seem more related to my thyroid dysfunction now that I am on Whole30 and not consuming sugar-containing foods at night, which definitely made them worse.

• 1 year later...

Me too!  I 53, and completely finished with menopause for over 2 years.  I am on day 5, and have had 3 hot flashes.  I was upset to see that you are/were on day 20-something when you wrote this - I was REALLY hoping I wouldn't have to deal with this again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, I just posted on the other menopause thread.  I'm 53 and have been perimenopausal for a couple years - very few cycles, and even fewer hot flashes.  I'm overheating on a regular basis now since mid-way through the Whole30 (I started it last month and am now 5 days into reintroduction).  I did increase my magnesium a couple weeks ago due to horrible leg cramps.  I'm still hot at night and occasionally during the day, but just realized that I haven't had to turn the A/C on in about a week.  Perhaps the magnesium will help.

Thanks for the info!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see this too!  I have had two already today. Bad ones too. My whole face turned red. A co-worker asked me if I was having a hot flash. Does anyone know why this is so extreme. I haven't had hot flashes in years. I am on day 14 first time around. Any advice would be great. 

• 3 weeks later...

I started Whole30 over a week ago and made note of just a couple of areas that I felt improved but honestly, I didn't even think about the hot flashes.  I am pre-menopausal and started getting hot flashes and some night sweats (but not severe like soaking my pajamas) and now that I'm reading through this topic, I just noticed I haven't had any hot flashes at all!  Adding another health benefit to my list!!!

Oh dear. I completed a round of the Whole30 in October. I am 54 and still perimenopausal. Prior to starting the whole30 my hot flashes had disappeared for about 6 months and I attributed that to reintroducing soy milk and tofu into my diet again. I took those out to do the whole30 and my hot flashes have returned with some sweating, though not soaking through my pajamas. Reading this thread is making me nervous because I was thinking of doing another round of the whole30 because I did not methodically reintroduce foods. But I am hesitant to cut soy milk out again. I will try the magnesium supplements. Can anyone (Codysmom and PainterB) tell me how much magnesium?

Also, if the hot flashes returned because of hormonal regulation, how long should it be  to settle down?

Thanks everyone!

I actually came to this topic to see what other people are experiencing. Im 55 but have just started having hot flashes in the daytime in the past 6 months (i had been having them at night since I was about 40). Im on day 20 and have had COMPLETE  relief of them day and night I think right from day 1 ( I just realized it a week or so ago-its one of those things you dont miss when its gone). Will be interesting to see what happens when I re introduce foods. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on day 11 and am experiencing extreme hot flashes day and night. Is is ok to take herbal supplements other than magnesium (which has been suggested)? I had been wanting to before starting Whole30 but just hadn't gotten around to it. The hot flashes are much worse so would love to do something

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 50 and on Round 1, Day 24.  On day 22, I started having major hot flashes, and early this morning a hot flash woke me up and it took me an hour to cool down.  Can anyone provide testimony about the magnesium?  Did it work?  How much did you take?  Any veterans out there that made it past the hot flashes?  How long on Whole30 did it take to regulate?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 8:43 AM, EmilyK said:

I can say that I'm not anywhere close to menopausal (I'm 32), but I actually have been dealing with night sweats since I began my whole30.  It's not every night, but has been happening a couple of nights a week.  I am chalking it up to hormonal balancing and not sweating it (hah!), no matter how unpleasant they actually are.

Im getting them in the day! LoL glad its not just me!

Archived