Day 14 - so far body looks and feels the same

First, I'd like to say that I am so proud of myself for actually sticking to this.  It's hard (in a sense that there is a LOT of cooking, a LOT of prep, etc) but it's possible!  This, coming from someone who doesn't cook at all to begin with.  My husband and I basically went out to eat all the time.  Neither of us were ever unhealthy eaters, but we're also not cooks!  So that was my first nervous challenge.  I'm getting quite good!  Shopping each week is getting better too.   :)

Anyway, it's day 14, and I was sort of hoping I'd feel different in my clothes a bit.  I'm 5'8' and started this at 154, so not so bad... plus I have a personal trainer (have for the past 15 months) that I see 3 x a week, so I am strong.  Any other "diet" I was on, like extreme ones like Dukan (I know, don't judge) and slow carb... almost instantly I'd feel different in my clothes.  B/c for me, removing carbs from my diet my belly would immediately respond.  Now, not so much.  The only time I feel any slimmer is first thing in the morning.  

I know it's not a diet.  I know it's a reboot.  I'm not discouraged to the point where I'd give up.  Not at all.  My husband is doing this with me - he's awesome and always on board for my crazy ideas!  I think we both individually have things that we THINK have improved?  Maybe recovery time after his hockey games are shortened... same with my recovery time after the gym.  I sleep better and I believe he does too (I've introduced him to natural calm and I think that's helped him too).  I wake up alert in the morning instead of wanting to sleep for another 5 hours.  I believe he does too.  He feels an extreme focus on things now (he runs a business and is laser focused now) and I guess maybe that has something to do with this reboot too?  

But... my clothes feel the same.  I know it's only day 14.  I should be patient.  But I'm just 2 days from "tiger blood" and I'm getting a touch nervous.  I try not to set myself up for too much of a disappointment, but maybe I won't lose a pound?  Maybe my clothes will feel the same after 30 days.  That would be a bummer.  Oh - I'd like to add that I didn't experience the Day 8-9 my pants are tight phase.  

Anyway - I guess maybe I'm just looking for a little bit of reassurance that it's ok to still fit the same in my clothes?  Maybe there's still time for that to change?  Sigh... 

The rule of thumb is to post your meals for a few days so someone can look them over and see if there are improvements that can be made.

Generally speaking, if there are snacks of nuts, dried fruits or nut butters ...that slows progress down and as the W30 rules say, allowing 4-5 hours inbetween meals gives you the best opportunity for feeling that Tiger Blood.   No need to be nervous, check yourself and the meal recommendations.  It could be just the ticket for your best food reset.

• Vegetables

• Best choice: acorn squash, arugula, asparagus, beets, bell peppers, bok choy, broccoli/broccolini, brussels sprouts, buttercup squash, butternut squash, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collard greens, delicata squash, garlic, greens (beet greens, mustard greens, turnip greens), kale, leeks, lettuce (bibb, butter, red), onions, shallots, rutabaga, spinach, summer squash, sweet potato/yams, swiss chard, tomato, turnip, watercress, zucchini

• Good/better: anise/fennel root, artichoke, broccoli rabe, celery, cucumber, eggplant, green beans, jicama, kohlrabi, mushrooms (all), okra, parsnips, potatoes (sparingly if you want to lose weight, and make sure you don’t eat them at the expense of colorful veggies), pumpkin, radish, rhubarb, snow peas, sugar snap peas, spaghetti squash, sprouts

• Make raw fermented vegetables, like sauerkraut and kimchi, a priority

Eat a wide variety of vegetables

Meal planning: Fill the rest of your plate (after protein) with vegetables – you can include some carb-dense vegetables but (especially if you’re overweight and insulin-resistant) should concentrate on leafy greens or other fibrous vegetables

Fruit

• Best choice: apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, grapefruit, kiwi, melon, plum, raspberries, strawberries

• Good/better: apples (all varieties), bananas, dates, exotic fruit (star fruit, quince, etc.), figs, grapes (green/red), lemon, lime, mango, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears (all varieties), pineapple, pomegranate, tangerines, watermelon

Fruits are not as nutritious as vegetables. Don’t let them push vegetables off your plate just because they are more fun to eat

Eat a wide variety of fruits, especially when they’re in season

Limit dried fruit

If you’re battling sugar dragons / sugar cravings, don’t rely on fruit as a crutch when you have sugar cravings – it may be better to conscientiously avoid the fruit, nut butters, health bars, or anything else that may prop up your sugar cravings

Meal planning: Start with 1-2 servings of fruit a day – a serving is about the size of a fist. Feel free to add some fruit either with your meals or immediately after. Fruit should not take the place of vegetables. Don’t juice or make smoothies. It’s better to eat smaller servings of fruit throughout the day than a large amount in once sitting. If you find yourself reaching for more fruit in the summer, when it’s local, fresh, and delicious, that’s okay (as long as you’re not responding to sugar cravings)

Please remember it is a 30 day program for a reason.

My first whole 30 I was 10 days off the timeline.  I was feeling better that I had ever did, although energy was lagging up until day 22. So please realize that the timeline is a guideline only - not everyone are going to see the changes right at the moment that the timeline says.  Especially if you came from a place where you ate a SAD.

As Medowlily mentions above - if you rely too heavily on dried fruit, nuts, and nut butters - you might see varied results.  If you don't eat enough (meaning your meals should hold you for about 4-5 hours) then your body may hold onto unwanted things.

So please be patient and go through the entire process.  Your body is healing - and do you honestly think your body is going to heal itself in a mere 14 days?

OK so here we go with my meals the past three days... :)  Hope it all makes sense.  

Breakfast (I'll say all three days were this as they don't really vary yet):

3 eggs scrambled

3 slices of bacon (whole30 compliant - get from US Wellness)

Veg - either a petite sweet potato, or a helping of spaghetti squash, or green beans 

Lunch: Day 1

2 chicken thighs

green beans

spaghetti squash

Lunch Day 2 & 3 (creative this weekend, I know)

1/2 lb ground beef (organic grass fed) cooked down like you'd put it in a taco.  I add in about a tbsp of tomato paste and cook it down pretty good.

put that over one sweet potato - smashed

on side, i have a wholly guacamole serving (those little individual packs you get at Costco

I may have berries - we'll say I did this on day 2 and 3 as well (just blueberries and raspberries - portion would be about 1/2 cup)

Dinner: Day 1

NY Strip Steak - about 8oz, cooked in a pan using ghee, and the steak coated with nom nom paleo magic mushroom powder (have you tried it??  it's the bomb - although I may be putting too much on b/c it's salty)

side of steamed broccoli florets

salad was shaved brussels sprouts, with crispy lardons (nom nom paleo recipe for bacon bits) and the dressing was a 5 minute bacon aioli (nom nom as well - although I think i screwed up the recipe as it didn't look like the picture... basically it's bacon fat and macadamia nut oil, dijon mustard, vinegar, one egg yolk, garlic clove, all buzzed up in emulsion blender - and yes all ingredients compliant).

after dinner - one closed handful of cashews that I roasted myself in ghee with chinese five spice (nom nom recipe as well)

Dinner: Day 2

Petite filet mignon (maybe 4-5 oz tops) with the magic mushroom powder again, again cooked in ghee

Small side of butternut squash and larger side of haricots verts

Tiny side salad (itty bitty just for some crunch) of a slaw mix, that I put balsamic vinegar and some macadamia oil in for dressing

after dinner - one closed handful of cashews that I roasted myself in ghee with chinese five spice (nom nom recipe as well)

Dinner: Day 3

ATE THIS TOO LATE because my husband had a hockey game! 

HOT DOGS!  Yes… from US Wellness – compliant.  Cut up and pan sautéed with ghee

Larger side of haricots verts

Tiny side salad (itty bitty just for some crunch) of a slaw mix, that I put balsamic vinegar and some macadamia oil in for dressing

I'll also say that I drink one cup of black hot tea each morning.  Then the rest of the day i drink nothing but filtered water, or carbonated water... and I drink A LOT!!!!!!!  

I never eat dried fruit.  I only eat nuts once a day (mostly after dinner).  I typically eat fresh fruit once a day... either with lunch or dinner - more often with lunch.  Always berries and sometimes 1/2 a banana.  

I don't have sugar cravings at all, so that's good.  I feel sometimes what if i'm consuming too much fat?  Just from using ghee, or the oil in my salad... I don't know.  

Hi Meghan, just wanted to chime in and say that I didn't feel any changes in my body until about day 21. Like you, I ate pretty well before, so it took a little longer to see a difference and even then, the changes have been small. I'm not going to drop 2 pant sizes in 30 days, but my pants are slightly looser and and my watch is moving around a little more on my wrist. Have patience!

• Moderators

Your food looks good. So do your stats and your results. It's very likely that you're simply in a good place overall and it's entirely possible that the positive effects for you will be more subtle. I'd recommend you let go of the expectation for "tiger blood" (which is elusive for many, or at least looks and feels a lot different than they expect) and substantial weight and body composition shifts. Instead, look for the other wonderful things, like how you sleep, what your moods are like, how your skin feels, the fact that you're cooking and you don't have any sugar cravings!

AND, keep going. Things very likely will continue to shift over the next few weeks. Keep your head down, do the work, pay attention to subtle things, and then share your success story with all of us!

You mentioned you're seeing a personal trainer 3 times a week: for your intense workouts, are you also having pre and/or post wo fuel?

Also, your weight and height are well within the normal range per BMI charts: are you looking to lose weight, change your body composition, or both?

You mentioned you're seeing a personal trainer 3 times a week: for your intense workouts, are you also having pre and/or post wo fuel?

Also, your weight and height are well within the normal range per BMI charts: are you looking to lose weight, change your body composition, or both?

I do try to do the pre/post meals - but I feel like my sessions require little.  I do 30 minute sessions with a trainer - all strength training.  So before, I try to eat (although It's not always happening especially if the session is at 8am). After, I'll have protein and a small carb - very small b/c really I feel like I don't need that much. 

Regarding my goals... I think my main goal was for the reboot.  Whatever that means for me.  I was a diet coke addict, so that's obviously gone.  I wanted additional benefits which I have had some (so far - only 1/2 way there, after all).  But one thing I hoped for (which I haven't given up on) is to SEE all the new muscle that I've built.  Right now I'm 38 and strong under my light layer of fluff.  I'd love to see some definition.  That would mean less body fat, ideally.  Which brought me back to the concern where maybe I'm consuming too much fat?  Although I recognize that consuming fat doesn't make you fat.  

• Moderators

Unless you're regularly eating lots of nuts you're probably just fine on the fat you're eating.

Are you easily able to make it 4 - 5 hours between meals without feeling hungry?

You're doing quite well, I think you could add some veggies, you might be a bit on the lean side there.

You'll get there! I do remember I slimmed down noticeably (wasn't really trying) pretty late in my first Whole30.

Unless you're regularly eating lots of nuts you're probably just fine on the fat you're eating.

Are you easily able to make it 4 - 5 hours between meals without feeling hungry?

You're doing quite well, I think you could add some veggies, you might be a bit on the lean side there.

You'll get there! I do remember I slimmed down noticeably (wasn't really trying) pretty late in my first Whole30.

Just the thumbs up on my food from you guys makes me feel better.  I really think I'm doing a good job.  Nuts are only once a day (if i eat them at all).  I have been monitoring the clock more to make sure I'm spacing out my meals properly - so that i'm not eating dinner at 10pm like last night.  I think between lunch and dinner I tend to be hungry sooner.  From breakfast to lunch, I typically am fine going 4-5 hours without any problem.  You're right, I do need to up my veggie game!  It's one area I'm lacking.  For me it's always such an afterthought but it will be my new goal to spruce it up and eat more.  :)

I'm on day 18 today and I feel the same way as you do. My pants don't feel any looser yet. I'm just going to hang in there and hope that things start to change by day 30! Like you I'm not eating a lot of nuts, no dried fruits, and very little fruit. I also exercise a half an hour every morning.

I'm on day 18 today and I feel the same way as you do. My pants don't feel any looser yet. I'm just going to hang in there and hope that things start to change by day 30! Like you I'm not eating a lot of nuts, no dried fruits, and very little fruit. I also exercise a half an hour every morning.

Hi BJS,

Are you able to list a couple of days worth of meals along with activity level, sleep, water consumption, etc so we might take a look at it?  

Sure...

Pre wo- 1/2 oz chicken and 1/8 avacado

Post wo- 1/2 oz chicken and less than 1/8 sweet potato, black coffee

M1- (same every day) 2 cups spinich, 2 mushrooms cooked in 1 tsp coconut oil

3-4 eggs fried in 1 tsp coconut oil, 1/4 avocado, water

M2- (Usually the same every day) spring mix, half red pepper, 6 baby carrots, 10 almonds, 6 grape tomatoes, 1/4 avacado, 1 HB egg, 2 oz chicken salad ; approx 1 tsp mayo), homemade ceaser dressing.

M3- one serving protein (fish, meatballs, steak, chicken leg and thigh or breast, pork chop) 2 cups vegatable (brocolli, string beans, Brussels sprouts roasted w olive oil), sometimes a small green salad w dressing, 1/2 sweet potato, a small serving of fruit (ex: 4-5 strawberries, 1/2 c cantelope)

I drink water all day starting with when I work out.

I sleep about 7-8 hours/night

Work at a desk job but work out half hour every morning and walk my dog 1 mile/day. I shoot for 10,000 steps but sometimes only do 7-10,000.

I'm 49 years old, 5'3 and weigh around 125 pounds.

I am feeling full enough after each meal now that I haven't had to snack. I also have a lot more energy and have pretty much lost my sweet tooth. My mood seems better in general and I think I am dealing with stress better than before.

You're a similar height & weight to me which is well within the normal range, and you're exercising daily... People have sort of a 'natural' weight and provided they are eating a healthy diet & taking regular exercise they tend to stay within a certain range - like me that would appear to be where you are. I'm guessing that the results you will see by the end of your whole30 will be more subtle than those who have had a lot of weight to lose, and there will be a lot more non scale victories.

You've mentioned already that you're sleeping better, dealing with stress better, you have more energy..... these are NSVs, and you'll keep noticing more of them if you stick at it.

I added more to my post. It's listed there. I only eat the fat from the olive oil for the vegs and whatever is in the protein at M3. Plus the olive oil used in the ceaser dressing from the mayo.

Yep, I noticed and edited my reply. I think you're on the right track....  :)

I weighed 120 or less forever and put on the extra 5 pounds since the fall. I really didn't change my eating habits and couldnt take it off. I know this is not about the number on the scale. I guess it is just aging and a slower metabolism. I thought the whole 30 would help. It is teaching me better eating habits, though like 3 larger more filling meals per day and no soy. Hopefully I will see the difference by the end in my clothes.

Thanks for your response!!

If it helps I'm on day 30 today and probably hadn't noticed any difference in my clothes until around day 16. That said I'm not sure that I'd consider it weightloss, more that my gut is nolonger inflamed & therefore my tummy/waist have shrunk back a bit.

As for non scale victories I'm definitely sleeping better (much deeper), my moods are stable, I feel less stressed, more 'settled' and 'happy', I have no cravings (even for dairy which I'd have sold my soul to the devil for on about day4!!), I'm not snacking, I'm feeling less 'nasal', and more confident, plus I'm discovering so many new recipes to try...

Stick with it - as someone very clever once said 'There are no shortcuts to any place worth going...' 

I was feeling a little too full after dinner so I cut down on my portion size. Hopefully I'll feel a little lighter by doing that. I am still experimenting with my portions. Sometimes I eat less but after a few minutes feel full.

I know what you mean about cravings. Mine have gone away. It's amazing.

If your meals carry you for 4 -5 hours - Overall I think your meals look good.

I do think your fats are a bit on the low side - remember anything that is sauted in a pan - the oil is usually left behind unless you make it point to scrap it out of the pan.

I am pretty sure I didn't start losing weight up until the last 10 days - you might be pleasantly surprised.

But remember - some of us do take longer to transform.  However 5'3" and 125lbs is not an unhealthy weight to begin with.  So focus on the NSV instead.

I think how your clothes feel is very much dependant on where you were when you started out, & how good/bad your pre whole30 diet was... If you were already in a good place weight/diet/body composition wise then the victories you have are more likely to be non scale.

Plus it's only 30 days - sometimes it just takes a bit longer for our bodies to heal. Small, consistent changes make for big differences over time.

Archived