Larabars - When to eat?

ashtynb89

So I'm trying to figure out when to incorporate larabars. Being as they are higher in calories and natural occurring sugars, I'm thinking earlier in the day. But how do you guys eat them? How do you make them a meal? I'm on day 1 of Whole30 and still sorting things out. I got these as a source for my sweet tooth, and saw many blogs that recommend them. I workout at 5 am, so maybe as pre workout? Post workout? Breakfast? I'm not sure, what do you guys do?

• Moderators

I recommend avoiding them altogether. That's what I do. If you want to tame your sugar dragon, the only way is to starve it. As long as you feed it sugar bombs like larabars, it will rage.

Sorry to say it, but I think you've been misguided in thinking you should incorporate larabars into your Whole 30. They're technically compliant but will do you no favors. Certainly not as pre or post workout food, or eaten alone, or eaten early in the day. Stick to real food, protein+veg+fat at meals; protein and fat pre workout; lean protein and maybe a little starchy veg post workout.

My advice? Don't eat them. If you got them as a source for your sweet tooth then all you are doing is feeding the craving.

Pre WO you want protein & fat (lots of people opt for boiled eggs) & post WO you'll want a lean protein & carbs, but there are WAY more nutritious options than a larabar.

Seriously, just eat real food.

Like..never in a million years.  Never ever.

Larabars are candy bar replacements made with nuts (fats) and dried fruits (sugar).   They're only for emergencies but in all of my months here, I've yet to run across one true authentic emergency that justified a Larabar.  Larabars will make your face break out...too many nuts aday.

Larabars are an easy grab off the shelf but they're used as alternatives to cooking and meals.  One member ate them every morning for breakfast.  If you have a box of them in the house, they'll tempt you during the evening hours.   Larabars are wolves in sheeps clothing.

Here's a clue...if they're already taunting you with thoughts - when they should be eaten, that wolf is already knocking at the door.  

Wolves_600x360_4.jpg

• Administrators

+1 to leaving the larabars at the store.  Also +1 to not cultivating sugary/dessert cravings by feeding them with sugar/desserty type items.

Eating sugary items like larabars or other dried fruits (or even fresh fruit on its own) contributes to fluctuating blood sugars which contributes to "hangry" and wild swings of energy and lethargy.  Eating real food, balanced protein, fat and veggies allows balance of blood sugars, hormones and energy.

:)

Other posters have already covered the fact that larabars are best avoided while on Whole30. I ate them during my first Whole30, but made it through my second round without any. The first time around, I used larabars as emergency "I have to eat right freaking NOW and nothing else is available" foods. It was usually a situation where I was stuck running errands, it had been too long since my last meal, and I knew it was going to be another hour or two before my next meal.

I use Epic Bars now for my emergency food. (I don't think they were on the market yet when I did my first Whole30.) I like them a lot more than the Larabars. Since they're protein based, I feel like I'm eating real food instead of a sugar-bomb.

I appreciate your guys opinions on the matter. I think I'll keep them around as back up especially if I'm on the go. I know being prepared and having meals prepped is what I should turn to, but sometimes there are those days when you ran out, haven't had time to prep yet, and things don't go as planned while running errands. I make a point to prep every weekend, but like I said crap happens, so I think they'll be good to have around in cases of emergency. Epic bars sound good, I'll have to look into those!

I would appreciate any meal ideas for pre and post workouts though. That seems to be my "duuhhh I don't know what to do without my protein shakes!" meals.

They're really kinda gross, too.  Mushy mass of date paste with little bits of the "flavors."  Shove it in the bottom of your purse and eat it if you're stuck in traffic for five hours and don't have anything else.  (Or just stick a bag of nuts in your purse and forget about the Larabar.)

Why would you want to have a Larabar for a meal?!

I think having a plan is always a good idea. But just a suggestion about your choice of  "emergency snack readiness". :)

If I think I might be out longer on an errand and it overlaps with lunch or dinner I take an "emergency peeled HB egg" in a little ziploc bag - just to tide me over until I can eat a proper meal. I also have a handful of cashews or almonds rolling around in another little ziploc at the bottom of my bag. I haven't needed to root around for them during my whole 30, but knowing that I have them for "just in case" gives me a lot of peace of mind.

ps. If I don't end up eating the HB egg, I usually just put it back in the fridge and add it to my salad the next day or use it as a pre workout snack.

So I'm trying to figure out when to incorporate larabars. Being as they are higher in calories and natural occurring sugars, I'm thinking earlier in the day. But how do you guys eat them? How do you make them a meal? I'm on day 1 of Whole30 and still sorting things out. I got these as a source for my sweet tooth, and saw many blogs that recommend them. I workout at 5 am, so maybe as pre workout? Post workout? Breakfast? I'm not sure, what do you guys do?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/26098-about-to-start-whole30-serious-training-aheadhelp/#entry274971

I would appreciate any meal ideas for pre and post workouts though. That seems to be my "duuhhh I don't know what to do without my protein shakes!" meals.

Your other question about pre/post workouts was answered here ^ .....protein drink question.    :D   As you can see, some of us are very passionate about not being the Leader of the Snack.

Winter-Wolves_20060303_164.jpg

MeadowLily, on 24 Mar 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

As you can see, some of us are very passionate about not being the Leader of the Snack.

I can see that, very much so... But I happen to believe if you are hungry, you should listen to your body, and that a larabar isn't the worst thing to turn to. Its hell of a lot better than grabbing a bag of chips or turning to fast food. I understand nuts are easy grab too, but nuts can get old real quick. Maybe I'll even try making my own larabars and putting my twist on them. Some people enjoy dates and bits of flavor. I understand every one's thoughts on the snacking, but there is a difference in "snacking" and you legitimately being hungry and needing to fuel your body. Especially if you are doing high intensity training 5-6x a week. I appreciate all of your opinions on the matter though. Maybe I shouldn't have asked this question here.

Maybe I shouldn't have asked this question here.

I think you asked in exactly the right place - you just didn't get the answer you wanted to hear. Snacking is not encouraged on whole30. If you are *legitimately* hungry then you either need to eat a mini meal, or eat more at each meal. Many of us have come from a primal/paleo back ground and train frequently - crossfit being the prime example. I personally came from a Tough Mudder/OCR background, train six times a week, four of those sessions being high intensity, & I occasionally fit in a 8-10k run on top of that - but by following the food templates I don't/haven't  felt the need to snack, and on day30 today I could pretty much count the number of pieces of fruit I've eaten on one hand. Try some boiled eggs pre WO as suggested, and maybe a tin of sardines/mackerel for handiness immediately post WO and then get stuck into a template style meal 1 about an hr later - it might actually work... 

Ashtyn, more passion.  They have the same amount of sugar and carbs as a snickers bar.  They're not much better than a bag of chips.

Dates should be used for cooking purposes and not used as daily snacks.  Same with fruit juices.  If you make your own larabars, you're back into paleo snacks which are called SWYPO's.

Fueling your body with Larabars will only put you further in the hole over the long haul.  You've been given great ideas from everyone for pre/post workout meals and your protein drinks.  

A Whole 30 really does require cooking and preparing meals.  That's the bottom line.  I live 250 miles from the nearest Costco or really nice grocery store.   It's a 500 mile round trip to run errands.  That's over 8 hours on the road.  I only have a small gas station close to home.  In there, I can find some compliant food.  It's not much but there are hard boiled eggs and a tiny row of condiments for brats that roll around on a grill.  I could make do with the eggs and condiments.

If I lived in any kind of town or a big ole city, my choices would be endless and wide open for compliant foods.  I know I could even find a drive-thru of some kind in a true emergency...throw tortilla shells and buns away.  I could survive on almost anything including pinecones and probably bark off of the trees.   I could and I would.

Perhaps, cooking may not be a favorite activity but I promise you, it will go a long way in helping you have a successful Whole 30. 

No one here is going to tell you not to eat when you are hungry. Eat!! It's just that Larabars are one of the worst possible choices because they are not a source of protein or fat and they also feed your sugar dragon. Part of the goal of whole30 is to quiet that sugar dragon, not to look for compliant ways to feed it. A better choice for an emergency "snack" is a hard-boiled egg. If you absolutely have to have a pre-packaged choice, Epic bars are far better since they have protein and fat. Just read the labels because not all are compliant.

(All of this coming from a confirmed Larabar addict :o )

I understand every one's thoughts on the snacking, but there is a difference in "snacking" and you legitimately being hungry and needing to fuel your body. Especially if you are doing high intensity training 5-6x a week. I appreciate all of your opinions on the matter though. Maybe I shouldn't have asked this question here.

Wow, I go away for a few hours and the thread has a conga line of suggestions. Amazing. :)

I think one of the points that's being lost in the shuffle is that when you're undertaking whole 30, you try to stick to eating whole foods. Ideally 3-4x day or 3x with "whole food" mini meals - adjusted to suit your level of activity and needs. The idea is to try your best to always eat the trinity of protein, fat, veg. A Larabar, while compliant ingredient wise, wanders a little astray from the eat-whole-foods principle. So that's why you keep hearing the same thing echoed and reverberating in all the posts.

You're right though. A Larabar is a better choice than a bag of chips or a Snickers bar. But that's not the point we (or at least I) was trying to make. Whole 30 = 30 days of whole foods. Full stop.

I fully recognize that it's a bit more of a pain to plan ahead (and pack mini meals of eggs/tuna/carrot etc), but you'd probably feel/fare better doing so rather than consuming Larabars as emergency fuel. What you gain in convenience (Larabar), you lose in nutrition/balance/satiation. But it would be interesting to test and compare how you feel eating one vs the other (preferably near the end of your whole 30). EIther way, you're going to choose the right choice for what works best for you. We're just chiming in based on our own personal history and insights. :)

This is my second go round with Whole30. First was a whole60 and this one a whole100. I have never been in a situation where I needed a larabar, etc for an emergency. I work 12 hr shifts in the medical field, on the days I work, I eat breakfast M1 at about 0530. lunch M2 at around 1030/1100 on good days. Supper M3 is at around 2030(8:30pm) so often am going about 10 hrs between M2 and M3. I equip my M2 with enough fat/protein that I rarely feel hunger before 7ish. On the rare occasions I do. I drink 8-10 oz of water and that satisfies me til M3. Any hunger around 7pm is ignored... Since I live about a half hour from where I work and my preferred grocery shopping place, I often do my grocery shopping after I get off work. That would put me home around 10pm, so I plan for M3 at 1 of 2 places I know I can get a quick meal that is compliant. On day 63 now and it hasn't failed me yet. BTW, my job tends to be a work out in itself. I have to push a large cart around the hospital that contains my computer for charting and the meds I have to give. I am often assigned to at least 3 units and often on different floors. Use the meal template, start with the minimum fat/protein recommendations and bump them up if needed. Not sure what kind of workouts you do, but you might just find out if you eat according to the template you don't need pre and post workout meals. IMHO's 2¢ worth.

If you are worried about being out and about and missing a meal or being late on one, why not pack compliant jerky in your bag? Pack some jerky, or even give pemmican a try, along with a sturdy veg like carrots or celery all tucked in a ziplock bag. That would be far better than a Larabar for emergencies, and I bet even tastier. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you are worried about being out and about and missing a meal or being late on one, why not pack compliant jerky in your bag? Pack some jerky, or even give pemmican a try, along with a sturdy veg like carrots or celery all tucked in a ziplock bag. That would be far better than a Larabar for emergencies, and I bet even tastier. 

SpinSpin - yes.  Great ideas.

Yes. I would suggest grass fed beef jerky as your double emergency super secret back up option your first time around. It can take a few days or more to adjust to this WOE and a piece of jerky can come in handy. The thing is, part of the challenge is to figure out how to feed yourself so you don't NEED emergency backup.

+100 to the avoid Larabars or any "bars" or that matter. The point of the w30 is to learn how to fuel your body with real fuel, not prefab snacks in any form compliant or not. There are *plenty* of highly active people who do his without bars, prefab snacks or nuts/dried fruit of any kind.

This isn't just a matter of "opinion." This IS the w30. Everyone commenting here isn't trying to sell you some special hardcore bossy pants version of the w30. This is the official party line.

As the w30 gets more popular it seems there is a telephone game effect whereby a watered down version gets circulated around FB and Instagram etc. But the w30 is more than surviving 30 days without eating off a forbidden foods list.

Do people eat Larabars and make it? Of course. But your w30 will be more of a struggle and you'll reap fewer benefits.

If you're someone who likes to understand the why of things I highly recommend reading It Starts With Food. Print out a copy of the template, memorize it, live it, be it. It really pays off.

You know, I love the dedication people have to eating W30, but please keep in mind that what's wrong for one person is NOT necessarily wrong for another, and, in fact, trying to be TOO right all the time becomes wrong.  LOL  Trying to be perfect all the time, even with W30, isn't that much different than the person desperately seeking the perfect physique, whether it's the flat tummy, ripped abs, etc.  You're just using "ultimate health" as your goal, which really probably is NOT ultimate health because health usually involves more moderation than perfection.  Yes, I don't doubt that W30 is a healthy way to eat and probably quite a bit healthier than the way most average Americans eat...but...

Our nutrition knowledge keeps evolving.  Think about all the changes there have been...eat low fat, low carb, eat 5-6 mini meals, periodic fasting is good for you, fruit cleanses, protein powders, vitamins, supplements...and then add in exercise...low intensity, high intensity, rest days, split workouts, cross fit, and honestly, NO ONE (even the Hartwigs!) have the "perfect" system.

My favorite part about W30 is the idea that you should listen to your own body.  If Larabars are an issue for you, stay away from them.  If they're not, then still try to work the 3 meals/day (because that IS W30), but if it takes a Larabar to get you through, no big deal.  Personally, I think most beef jerky, even compliant beef jerky, is pretty far from "real food."  But then, I also can't do the "chow down on a boiled egg as a mini meal" thing either.  That's NOT a meal to me and forcing myself to eat something I don't like is MORE detrimental to my health than having a Larabar.  It's too reminiscent of Body for Life days when people would eat a chicken breast in the bathroom just so they could be compliant with the 5-6meals/day, eat protein every 2-3 hrs rule.

Think about it this way...eating a boiled egg or jerky for a mini meal is, yes, template compliant.  But does it really fit the spirit of W30?  As in, eating delicious food, prepared well, and eaten without distractions, mindfully and enjoying it?  Probably not.

Does any of that make sense?  I'm saying do your best to be 100% compliant with W30 because you made that commitment when you started, but do NOT let that 100% commitment lead you down some unhealthy mental trails either (all or nothing thinking!).

You know, I love the dedication people have to eating W30, but please keep in mind that what's wrong for one person is NOT necessarily wrong for another, and, in fact, trying to be TOO right all the time becomes wrong. LOL Trying to be perfect all the time, even with W30, isn't that much different than the person desperately seeking the perfect physique, whether it's the flat tummy, ripped abs, etc. You're just using "ultimate health" as your goal, which really probably is NOT ultimate health because health usually involves more moderation than perfection. Yes, I don't doubt that W30 is a healthy way to eat and probably quite a bit healthier than the way most average Americans eat...but...

Our nutrition knowledge keeps evolving. Think about all the changes there have been...eat low fat, low carb, eat 5-6 mini meals, periodic fasting is good for you, fruit cleanses, protein powders, vitamins, supplements...and then add in exercise...low intensity, high intensity, rest days, split workouts, cross fit, and honestly, NO ONE (even the Hartwigs!) have the "perfect" system.

My favorite part about W30 is the idea that you should listen to your own body. If Larabars are an issue for you, stay away from them. If they're not, then still try to work the 3 meals/day (because that IS W30), but if it takes a Larabar to get you through, no big deal. Personally, I think most beef jerky, even compliant beef jerky, is pretty far from "real food." But then, I also can't do the "chow down on a boiled egg as a mini meal" thing either. That's NOT a meal to me and forcing myself to eat something I don't like is MORE detrimental to my health than having a Larabar. It's too reminiscent of Body for Life days when people would eat a chicken breast in the bathroom just so they could be compliant with the 5-6meals/day, eat protein every 2-3 hrs rule.

Think about it this way...eating a boiled egg or jerky for a mini meal is, yes, template compliant. But does it really fit the spirit of W30? As in, eating delicious food, prepared well, and eaten without distractions, mindfully and enjoying it? Probably not.

Does any of that make sense? I'm saying do your best to be 100% compliant with W30 because you made that commitment when you started, but do NOT let that 100% commitment lead you down some unhealthy mental trails either (all or nothing thinking!).

Fabulous post here. :)

Whoaa. okay admittedly, i havent yet read It Starts with Food, but what about an egg or a jerky bar plus some veggies is less than ideal for a mini meal? Its whole food. And in days past, drying meat was neccessary to preserve it and is still done by people living traditional lifestyles around the world.

Im also way more likely to throw those delicious things into a pack to eat pre and post hike/trail run than to eat cold unappetizing leftovers from a container. Blech. For me, I would say these things definitely fit the spirit. But perhaps thats what you were saying in your first paragraph, that ideal is slightly different for all of us. In which case i completely agree, and i love your point about not letting your physical health get in the way of your mental health  :) Thats such an underrated idea.

i could also be overreacting because i just excitedly bought a case of on sale epic bars for my second go at a whole30 ;)

Caitie, my post was more about WHY someone would be eating one compliant food vs another.  So yes, the point about "ideal" being different for one person vs another is correct.  I used a boiled egg as an example (of being less than ideal) because, for ME, I'd only be eating it to sort of "choke it down" to stay compliant with W30.  So that means the emotions and mental health/attitude in doing so would not be healthy even though what I'm eating is.

Same for Larabars.  I can eat a Larabar as a fuel source without it feeling like a candy bar or it setting off a sugar craving.  So in that case, it's a compliant food that many people here say "Don't eat," but for me, it's actually a better choice because of what my mental attitude is like.

So I was just trying to remind people, especially those who are...ummm....very adamant about strictly following W30, that W30 is also about improving our relationship with food, improving our lives (getting more rest, for example, instead of always working out at 5am), etc.  And each person comes to this with their own stopping and starting place.

Archived