Silk Unsweetened Cashew milk

Wildcatgrad

Is the Silk Unsweetened Cashew milk Whole30 compliant?  Here are ingredients:

Cashewmilk (Filtered Water, Cashews), Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Almond Butter, Sunflower Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid, 

It sounds to be compliant but I want confirmation from the pros please.

• 1 month later...

I love my homemade cashew milk. It's way tastier than any store bought! I add cardamom and cinnamon to it along with the sea salt. Pre whole 30 I used a handful of dates for sweetness:) so good in coffee or to make creamy sauces. For breakfast side dish sometimes I soak berries and coconut flakes in it.

I was quite surprised to find this at Walmart. Here in Ontario, we have very little prepackaged foods that are compliant (there are only two stores I can go to to get coconut milk that doesn't have anything added and one of the two is always out of stock). I use the coconut milk for cooking and coffee so I was pleasantly surprised to see compliant cartoned Cashew Milk. It's actually really good and has a pretty decent shelf life (for how much I use I need it to last a while lol).

• Moderators

Let me add a word of caution here. Cashew milk, almond milk, any nut milk, is not a great food choice. No nut milk makes it to the top 50 list of things you should be eating. It is a fat source that you might include during your Whole30.

When I hear people getting excited about cashew milk, I am afraid that it is being used as a substitute for crappy, processed coffee creamers and thereby keeping cravings for that crap alive and seductive. 

You can lighten your coffee or tea with a nut milk. You can use it in recipes. However, when you start adding dates for sweetness and soaking berries and coconut flakes in it, you have created a dessert and you have left the territory of a Whole30 and gone back to your former life. Don't do it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yay!!! Glad to hear it's complaint. Gonna have it for breakfast with chia seeds and berries.

Did you read the thread? Here let me repost Tom's comment for you: However, when you start adding dates for sweetness and soaking berries and coconut flakes in it, you have created a dessert and you have left the territory of a Whole30 and gone back to your former life. Don't do it. 

Eat veggies, fat and protein..ok maybe berries occasionally, but, don't mess around with chia and cashew milk, and especially not in place of a template breakfast.

I was excited to find it as there are very few options for compliant coconut milk in my area. The couple stores that carry it are usually out of stock. The cashew silk, however, is available at every walmart I have near me. I use it mainly for cooking and a little bit in my coffee (I can drink pre-made bought coffee black but can't seem to make my own that I enjoy so I add a little "milk" to it). I don't use it for anything else and definitely not for creating dessert type dishes.

• 1 year later...

Archived