I hate avocados!

alfowler

You don't have to eat avocados if you don't want. You can have Lard, Tallow, Duck Fat, Ghee, olive oil. I am not aware of a recipe for avocados that doesn't taste like avocado. You could try guacamole and add a lot of spices and peppers. Good Luck!

• Administrators

How about this avocado cream sauce which I find tastes nothing like avocado....but I actually love them so maybe it does a bit?

1 avocado

juice of 1 lime

4 tbsp coconut milk (or more as you blend it)

4-6 tbsp cilantro (I usually use most of a small bunch)

salt

1-2 minced garlic cloves or garlic powder

I blend it up in a Magic Bullet and keep adding coconut milk until it's the consistency that I like.....sort of like thick salad dressing. I like it for a dipping sauce for cold chicken especially. We also use it when I make fish tacos.

I am not buying avocados right now with them being out of season where I am, so I depend on homemade mayo, olive oil, ghee, olives and a sprinkling of nuts (like on a salad) for my fat. I also do stuffed celery with almond or sunflower butter for my fat with lunch. Reminds me of when I was a kid! You could dot the stuffed celery with a couple raisins and have ants on a log! lol :-) 

I'm laughing because I hate them too, yet feel compelled to continue trying them. They're slimy and disgusting!  Even the dressing I make from them has a greasy mouthfeel to me that's offputting. It was good for me to read these responses. Oh, and I've discovered avocado oil for cooking and salad dressings... it has the nice flavor without the gaggy texture.  ;)

If you want to learn to like them, don't start eating them by themselves. I have learned to love avocados, but first as guacamole (with cilantro, lime, salt, green onion, garlic, jalapeños tomatoes) mixed in, and then I discovered on this whole 30 that they are wonderful diced up and salted in salad with a really good dressing. It adds a creaminess and texture to the salad that I love

I'm also avocado challenged. I really enjoy Wholly Guacamole but that is one of the few brands I like. NomNomPaleo has an avocado dressing in her book (I'm blanking on the name now) that I made and really enjoyed as well. Every time I just try to eat them straight up I gag. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of my fave ways to eat them is a simple salad I had at whole foods once...take some kale leaves and chop into pieces, mash up the avo and coat the kale with it, and sprinkle it with lemon juice and optional pine or walnuts with some red onion slices. That way you arent eating chunks of it.

I know smoothies are a "less than optimal" choice but an avocado banana spinach coconut milk smoothie is pretty good too. Throw some raspberries in for some tartness.

What is it you don't like, the flavor? Texture? I have some awesome SWYPO recipes with avocado, but I don't think that's what you're looking for, LMAO. Let me preface this with I abolutely second what everyone else has said - you don't HAVE to eat them. I hate cilantro and you ain't gonna catch that stuff within a mile of my lips, even though it's Whole30 approved.

If it's a texture thing but you don't mind the taste, try mashing up some avocado and whisking in some eggs, then cook like normal scrambled eggs and top with salsa. I made this by accident one time (a recipe gone wrong) and I ended up LOVING it. Green eggs and ham, anyone? If it's the flavor you don't like but still really want to learn to like them, you might mix them in with a salsa (not guac because they're not smashed), but the other flavors should blend together nicely so you won't notice the avocado quite so much.

If it's both? How do you feel about olives? :ph34r:

Archived