What else contains soy lecithin???!!!

Good morning everyone!  Day 15 here, and as I went to make my morning eggs, I decided to peak at my olive oil spray.  Soy lecithin.  So... Whole30 will be Whole45... I move on.  In googling soy lecithin and Whole30, it brought up a forum where someone asked about it, and then one of the comments said that a lady was drinking tea with soy lecithin... So I decided to look at the ingredients in my tea.  It's Harney & Sons Paris Tea - ingredients just say blend of black teas with natural vanilla, fruit and citrus flavors. Vague, right?  So I googled ingredients for my tea, and can't really find anything other than what's on the tin.  Any experts here know how to decipher ingredients like that?  Am I ok? 

• Administrators

Often if you want a definitive answer you need to email the manufacturer. It is true that "natural flavours" can indicate any number of things although that term has been deemed compliant for the purpose of Whole30.

A few people have written their tea manufacturers and reported back and quite a few of them say that when they use the term they are actually referring to flavouring that comes from compliant sources. The only way to know for sure is to contact them.

And....your oil spray is an awesome reminder to read every single label including teas, spices, salts, sprays, oils etc. :)

Often if you want a definitive answer you need to email the manufacturer. It is true that "natural flavours" can indicate any number of things although that term has been deemed compliant for the purpose of Whole30.

A few people have written their tea manufacturers and reported back and quite a few of them say that when they use the term they are actually referring to flavouring that comes from compliant sources. The only way to know for sure is to contact them.

And....your oil spray is an awesome reminder to read every single label including teas, spices, salts, sprays, oils etc. :)

Thanks so much!  Good idea!  I'll absolutely do that now!  :)

@ladyshanny, i just received a response from the tea manufacturer. Here is what they said about my Harney & Sons tea:

The citrus flavor is a natural bergamot oil, the other flavors are natural currant, vanilla, and caramel flavors. Some of the flavors are derived from corn, and are all natural and made in the USA.

The citrus flavor is a natural bergamot oil, the other flavors are natural currant, vanilla, and caramel flavors. Some of the flavors are derived from corn, and are all natural and made in the USA.

So that would make it a no no on a Whole30, due to the corn.

I personally wouldn't start over, because A. you went above and beyond what is normally expected when the rules call for checking labels and B. it's a miniscule part of a flavoring for something that is only an infusion anyway, not an ingested food item.

Now that you know, of course, don't drink that tea during a W30, but I can't imagine that your reset results would be impacted in any realistic way from this.

Obviously this is all IMO, YMMV, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, etc. etc. :)

• Administrators

Is this something that would be grounds for starting over? It wasn't even on the ingredients list.

I agree with Kirkor's post above, I personally would not start over.  "Natural Flavours" have been carte blanched for Whole30 even though we know that there could be myriad questionable ingredients contained in that term.  I love that you checked into it further, it was obviously important to you to find out what was contained in that phrase.  Therefore I believe your "restart or not" is up to you.  

It was important enough for you to check into, is what you found important enough to cause yourself a restart?

Thanks y'all! I'm "extending" Whole30 most likely anyway due to using an olive oil spray that says 100% Olive Oil.... Except for that soy lecithin. I've been really proud of getting this far. I know that more time on it will only be better. I won't be drinking that tea anymore. On to search a new morning tea.

I was able to find two different brands of compliant olive oil sprays at my "regular" grocery store (Meijers in MI), so they're definitely around, just check the labels. The ones I found are not compressed like the Pam sprays, just more like spritzer bottles.

OK now that this has all been resolved, I have to give in to my urge to answer your thread title as cynically as possible (I've been holding myself back until now, gasppant):

SOY LECITHIN IS IN EVERYTHING. UNLESS THERE'S SUGAR IN IT.  (rantravegrumpfusscomplainwhine)

OK. I feel better. Carry on. :ph34r:

Archived