22.5 lbs in 30 days!

timeshifter

When I got up in the morning of the first day of my Whole 30 the digital scale read 205.5 lbs.  At 6'1" that is in the overweight category.  At 51 years old I wasn't sure how I got there.  I don't (didn't) really consider myself overweight or fat, but I suppose a lot of fast food on the run and soft drinks and other bad habits were catching up with me.  It was weird because most of my life, up until the last 10 years I guess, I could eat whatever I wanted and people hated me for it. :D  I was always skinny and never understood first hand what other went though with weight issues.

Anyway, woke up today and got on the scale.  183.0 lbs!

I couldn't believe it.  I weighed myself several times.  It's amazing!  And quite a nice surprise...

See, I didn't undertake the Whole 30 with weight loss primarily in my mind.  I wanted the Tiger Blood, clear eyes, good sleep, energy, etc. etc.  I didn't really get any of that.  My schedule and night-owl tendencies make it hard to be in bed long enough to get much more than 5 hours of sleep some times.  Don't eat my meals at regular times and didn't always do three meals per day like I should.  Also, my Whole 30 food wasn't perfect.  There were a few flubs here and there like a couple of salads with craisins that I thought were clean but later learned had added sugar.  Didn't do super duper premium meats and usually ate what was at the regular grocery store.

You're probably wondering about my exercise routine?  ZERO.  I played a couple of games of volleyball in a league, but I've been doing that one or two nights for years.

All I did was change what I eat.  I changed nothing else.  I'm pretty amazed and excited.  I went into this looking for one thing but ended up with another.  

• Administrators

Could be where they are starting, body comp-wise. Could be where they are starting nutritionally as well. Folks with more overall weight to lose and who come from a SAD diet are going to generally see a much larger drop when they cut out inflammatory foods and move to a whole foods diet. Reduction in inflammation will bring a reduction in weight as will reduction in overall calories since, of course, whole and healthy foods generally carry less of a calorie load than the pizza, pasta, french fry, cookies, cakes products.

I'd be really curious to know what the average percentage of weight lost is for those who actually lose weight. I bet it's not as much as we think it is.

• Moderators

It also has to do with where people are in terms of their health. Hormonal imbalances and autoimmune conditions, for example, can take a lot more time for the kinds of healing the body prioritizes above weight loss to occur. But make no mistake: regardless of how fast or slowly it happens, consistent W30-style eating will lead to weight loss if that's what your body requires. Don't let the green-eyed monster derail you!

Archived