Coconut oil from Costco tastes too much like coconuts

timeshifter

Our first purchase of coconut oil came from Kroger.  It was mostly flavorless and cooked a lot like other oils.  When it ran out I bought a two-pack of 42 oz jars at Costco for $26, thinking that we'll continue to use the stuff for a long time.  The ingredients for the "Simple Truth Organic" from Kroger and the "Kirkland" brand from Costco read exactly the same:  INGREDIENTS: Organic virgin coconut oil.

I quickly noticed that the stuff from Costco made most things taste like coconuts.  Especially when I was cooking omelets. 

I tried a blind taste test.  Once with just a tiny bit on a spoon.  I could easily tell which was which.  Then I baked some cubed sweet potatoes.  It was tough telling them apart but I think I could barely tell which was which.

I'm disappointed but I'm not looking forward to cooking a lot of stuff with the truckload of coconut oil I ended up with.  Might even take it back.  Eggs that taste like coconuts aren't that appealing.

coconutoils.png

it is because the kroger one was refined and the costco was unrefined     i much prefer the taste of the refined and use it for my oil for cooking . for some things the unrefined works without too much "flavor"   i have not been convinced that refined is bad for you.  don't really know what others think?

I use Nutiva brand extra virgin organic coconut oil. I get it at Costco. It has a coconut flavor, that I happen to like most of the time.

But...when I don't want the coconut flavor--frying eggs--I add a sprinkle of salt to the melting oil. It works for me.

YMMV

Yes I have noticed the same thing.

So basically I use the big tub from Costco for stronger flavour items - think onions, and curries.  I will not use it for my eggs.  I do not mind the taste of coconut but I do not want my eggs tasting of coconut.

I use Duck fat/refined CO for the other stuff that do better with milder tasting oil.

Anytime you are buying coconut oil you have to look for the words "refined" or "unrefined" on the packaging. Unrefined tastes like coconuts. Refined has no flavor. Both are acceptable on Whole30. I can't even be in the kitchen if the unrefined stuff is being used (I am just not ever going to be a fan of coconut flavor in any form), so I look HARD for the refined stuff.

Like Rebe_J said, I use some salt when I cook with unrefined coconut oil, because it really does take out the taste of the coconut. But I tend to use coconut when roasting veg, curries, stir fries while I use ghee for eggs or other lighter oils. 

Oh, looking right at it and trying to compare I never noticed the refined vs no mention.  Makes sense.  I do like coconut flavor, but not on eggs.  I like the value of the two big jars at Costco, about $26.  I'll admit I don't know what the wife paid for the Kroger jar.  I'm assuming it's more expensive ounce for ounce.  Also, the Kroger stuff is stiff and hard to scrape out of the jar while the Costco product seems smoother.

If a little bit of salt neutralizing the flavor that sounds like a winner.

I prefer ghee for my eggs, too. Or bacon fat. Usually the container of coconut oil is on top...and I tend toward lazy early in the morning.

I remember Mom used to keep a ceramic crock of bacon fat for cooking. Dad would smear it on his pancakes, instead of butter. Then there were all those years we were afraid of fat...

• 1 month later...

There are a hundred uses for coconut oil so if you don't like the flavor for cooking, use it on your skin after your shower/bath.  It is also the very best 'anti-itch' product for mosquitoes and those other summer pesky pests!  It won't go to waste - simple Google the uses for coconut oil. 

• 5 months later...

Archived