Puritan's Pride Glucomannan

ImanAlAulaqi

I've been trying to search the forum boards but can't find any posts regarding Glucomannan.

Is it compliant? 

According to the ingredients list it contains Glucomannan (Konjac Root), Vegetable Cellulose, Gelatin, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate

Does anyone know if these ingredients are all compliant?

• Administrators

This appears to be some sort of "weight loss supplement" which, while compliant ingredient-wise, would not be in keeping with the spirit of the program.

Why do you want to take this?

Here's the Wikipedia article on konjac: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac It's eaten as a food in Japanese cuisine in particular. It's used in weight loss supplements because it is high in fiber and low in calories (so you poop more and feel fuller I guess?).

I agree with LadyShanny that there is nothing specifically in the supplement that would make it non-compliant. However, using this product would go against the principles of Whole30 about understanding how your body works and what it needs nutritionally in order to feel full.

I'm usually hungry and read through a few articles online that glucomannan helps keep you full because it expands in the tummy so I thought it would be a good idea so I don't have to snack inbetween or over eat my portions during my meal time.  But I think I'll put it into hold you are right it does break the spirit of the program didn't think of it from that perspective.

I'm usually hungry and read through a few articles online that glucomannan helps keep you full because it expands in the tummy so I thought it would be a good idea so I don't have to snack inbetween or over eat my portions during my meal time.  But I think I'll put it into hold you are right it does break the spirit of the program didn't think of it from that perspective.

I agree with Shannon, and I would add that if you are indeed usually hungry, then you need to eat much, much more food.  Here's what Whole30 recommends:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat

3. 1-3 cups of vegetables

Do that three times a day, the first time within one hour of waking. Your goal is to eat enough at each meal to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours. If you are genuinely hungry between meals, eat a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies or even another full meal.  In other words, in Whole30Land, when you are hungry, you really really do get to eat.

Please do not eat konjac root. 

There's always another streetcar coming around the corner....(Grandmaw).  Every day there's a new green tea, raspberry ketone, konjac root.....new miracle supplement that will take every weight loss blue away.  Several of them have already fallen off the radar because they weren't worth two hoots.

Add all of these supplements up and you get a real hot mess.  So if the overall goal is health and well being, forget the supplements and tiddly winks.   Real whole foods eaten in real amounts will keep you in decent working order into the future, like, waaay.

Archived