Day 4 :: Anyone else the ONLY one in their household doing Whole30? Oh the temptations!

Keegan H.

Hi Everyone,

This is Day 4 of my first official Whole30! So far, so good, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any tips for avoiding temptation in a household where I'm the only one doing the challenge. Husband and kiddos eat healthy, but not fully paleo. Basically, on the nights that I cook dinner I'm making a meal for me and a separate one for everyone else. I've managed to swing it so that it's complimentary so far (e.g. I'll make Whole30 approved meat sauce and pasta for everyone else and zucchini noodles for me.); however, it's only Day 4 and I can see that this could start to get a little exhausting. 

Is anyone else in the same situation? If so, any tips or advice? Thanks in advance! 

-Keegan

P.S. I am loving the daily emails! They are spot on with what I've been feeling/craving. Nice way to start each day.

Same in my household!  Day 25 here.  

My husband loves his tortillas and beans, would never consider giving them up for a week let along 30 days.  He also is particularly fond of his beer and bread....sigh.  My son is gluten free, but he too has a true fondness for the beans and tortillas.  

I try to think of it as making meals that are compliant for me but supplementing something on the side for them.  I don't want to get in the mindset of making separate meals.  It's pretty much semantics though isn't it?  Am I making two meals or am I just adding something to appease the corn monsters?  Whatever it takes!

Yup, I'm the only one here.  I usually make compliant dinners and everyone is happy.  Tonight is bison burgers with oven roasted potatoes and other veggies, and a fruit salad.  The boys and my husband will have rolls and cheese for their burgers...mine will be plain.  Tomorrow is pork in the crock pot with parsnips, carrots, and broccoli.  My six year old is semi vegetarian, so we always have a lot of veggie options for him.  He will eat the bison tonight, but not the pork tomorrow.

This morning I made the boys pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes.  They eat the whole batch so no leftovers to tempt me.  :)

There's only two of us, and I am the only one doing Whole30, but I haven't cooked anything special (separate or extra) in the past 25 days for my husband. Then again, he hasn't mentioned wanting rice/noodles/etc with anything, and if he did, I'd point him in the direction of the kitchen. He gets his own breakfasts and god knows what for lunch, so I don't think he's really missing much.

• Moderators

I try to make the exact same meal. Burgers, steak, meatloaf, chili, roast chicken, crockpot shredded beef or pork, eggs ... Sides of roasted potatoes works for most meals. Just serve their food with buns/pasta/cheese on top or however they want and yours over extra veggies. Microwaving frozen veggies is good enough. It doesn't have to be fancy or conventional-looking.

You can do this!

I'm the only one in my house doing whole 30 as well.  When I have extra time I make a bunch of veggies and protein to have in the fridge for myself.  If I have it cooked and available I'll stay on track.  For dinner I usually make a main dish and then all the sides can be different.  So, if we grill burgers, I'll have mine over a salad with some avocado while everyone else has buns and cheese.  I made meatballs and served mine with zucchini noodles and everyone else got pasta and cheese.  If we have breakfast for dinner, everyone will eat eggs.  I'll eat veggies with mine and everyone else has biscuits and cheese.  (There is a cheese theme here).  Tomorrow we are having whole roasted chicken and sweet potatoes.  Everyone will eat that!  Then I can use the leftovers and the mayo I made and make chicken salad.  They can have sandwiches and I'll have mine on a salad.  It's all about planning ahead.  Oh, and I'll make broth out of the chicken bones and do a soup for lunches.  Hope that helps!

My husband has no interest in giving up his pasta, bread, etc., and doesn't like veggies. (Hence, the type 2 diabetes and 150 lbs extra weight). I cook for myself, and he is welcome to have whatever I'm having. Occasionally, I'll make stuff for just him, but mostly I've decided I have to focus on my own health - I have limited kitchen time and if I spend it making his breaded chicken parm with cheese, I don't get my stuff made for the week. I'm fortunate that most of his unhealthy stuff doesn't appeal to me. I hope that my example (50 lbs weight loss, allergies DRAMATICALLY better, lower blood pressure, less moody) may get him to want to change, but that's his choice. He has his drawers in the fridge and in the dry goods section, and I don't look in them so I won't be tempted. I'm fortunate to not have non-furry children to feed.

Interesting to hear from everyone - and thanks for the support and encouragement! Always nice to see how others are making it work for them. So far cooking Whole30 compliant meals and giving the non-Whole30-ers their choice of additions like bread/past/cheese is working ok for us. I think the real challenge is that it's forcing me to meal plan at all  :) Admittedly I should be better at it as a full-time working mom, but it has never been my strong suit (nor is it my husband's). I'm big on everyone eating together at the same time, though. The Whole30 has been a nice reason to give more thought to what I'm putting on the table for the whole family. 

• 3 months later...

My household is just myself and my 7 year old (and the cat). When I did my first whole30 last summer I tried to put my son on it with me and it kind of backfired...he became so food resistant he stopped eating and his father, both sets of parents and I had to help steer him back.

Every whole30 since I have been far less militant. I cook my meals and, apart from the odd pizza tea, he eats with me with additions. So I'll cook burgers and he has a bun (though sometimes he choses lettuce leaves), or I'll cook rice for his chili portion or chips to go with his roast chicken and veggies. He has come to enjoy some whole30 foods over the year though...he prefers my mash (cauliflower) to normal mash (potato) for example ;)

He is my biggest cheerleader...he was the only reason I didn't give up and eat chocolate on day 2 this time...he reminds me why I'm doing it and is counting down the 30 days ;)

Ocicatflakes...I don't bake anymore which I loved doing before ;( I'll even be buying a cake for the cake stall at school next week and ignoring requests for my chocolate brownies. I did bake a cake for my nephew last year during a whole30 but emotionally I found it incredibly tough so I don't do it anymore! After all with just a whole30 me and a partly whole30 small boy there aren't enough cake eating mouths to feed!!

Yup I did it on my own but my situation is a bit different as my husband works 2nd shift...so I make him one or two things that he eats on for lunches every day and he brings sandwiches to work for his dinner. My kids are quite picky so I just get what I can in them (they are eating more fruits and veggies I have noticed since I have been which is awesome! I also try and make better choices for them such as the applegate organic hotdogs versus ball park etc...) So I make up my meat and whatever else on Sundays and then build my meals around that for the week. I eat lots of raw veggies (carrots and baby sweet peppers and spinach) as it is just easier for me and I enjoy them more that way. I also eat my weight in olives since they are such an easy fat to add to my meals! I just keep things simple as possible with an occasional new and more time intensive recipe tossed in when the urge hits :) 

Good luck!

I am the only one following Whole30 out of the four of us in the household. Dinner for all is a main course that is compliant, which really isn't too different than it used to be. There are side dishes both compliant and not, which isn't too much extra work. Tonight, for example, is chicken wings with homemade compliant bbq sauce, veggies( carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes) roasted in olive oil and rosemary, corn (for the kids and hubby only) and salad.

I, too, love to bake. What I have done to fill that need, is to bake thing the rest of the family like that I don't, such as cake and brownies. I be sure not to make pie, cheesecake or cookies as those would tempt me.

Hang in there. It really does get easier.

I'm in the same boat. My husband and two teens will not give up bread, sugar, or dairy for anything, although they will abstain from eating it in front of me if I cared, but the things we have in the house really don't tempt me. I make compliant meals with a serving of rice or a loaf of french bread on the side occasionally and they are happy. I've been gluten free for years so bread in the house doesn't bother me and they are careful about cross contamination. They have offered to just go to a local bakery or something a time or two a week if they want dessert instead of making it here and I may take them up on that, the smell of a fresh baked dessert might just throw me over the edge, lol.

I am a big baker for family and friends also, but for the next 30 days I am throwing my culinary efforts into making fabulous salads and and other things to share instead, and people are really enjoying them! Yesterday I rendered lard from some pastured pork fatback and made sweet potato hashbrowns that everyone raved over, today we have been snacking on the leftover cracklins and the kids have declared them better than potato chips. There are so many different kinds of healthy foods to experiment with and make and I'm looking forward to expanding beyond baked goods.

Archived